Hot Toys: Prometheus - MOVIE SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
_

A Hot Toys Engineer would be INSANE with the biomech ridges on the body

What size does Hot Toys make the figures anyway?

Just don't let Joseph Tsang sculpt it. He has the talent, but doesn't pay attention to the details.

What size are Hot Toys figures? Roughly 1:6 scale (12 inch scale) a HT Engineer would be about 15-18 inches...I think.

12 inch Shaw next to a 12 inch Engineer would be odd

but then again a 6 or 7 inch Shaw next to a 12 inch Engineer might seem like a ripoff

I said the size inconsistency is within Alien in the scene.

This is a fact and talked about on the commentary. Scott used a Hitchcockian technique.

Dressing his kids in the space costumes for the first angle to make it appear larger for the first sweeping room shot. Then switches back to the adult actors when they examine it.

Troll some more.

12 inch Shaw next to a 12 inch Engineer would be odd

but then again a 6 or 7 inch Shaw next to a 12 inch Engineer might seem like a ripoff

Typically, their female figures are a few inches short of 12". More around the 10-11" range. The Engineer would for sure be taller than 12". Like I sad approx 15-18"

They made an Avatar figure that was about 18". I'd imagine that's close to an Engineers figure size.

I can't find anything online indicating that Ridley always planned for the SJ to be a suit. In every interview I've read he only refers to the SJ as "the big guy in the chair", or "the giant in the pilot seat", etc.

I find it hard to believe that for 33 years he's never even hinted at the creature actually being a suit, yet always planned for it to be. And it's not because he didn't want people to know or anything, because he has on occasion told interviewers ideas/background stories for the SJ (Ie how the eggs were weapons and the derelict was delivering them), yet he's literally never mentioned anything about the SJ being a suit from what I can see.

He didn't start calling it a suit until about two years ago when the Alien prequel morphed into Prometheus.

Find anything that says it's not a suit.

Giger clearly designed it as a biomech suit back in 1977.

and with Prometheus we know what Scott thinks.

There is nothing to argue. AVP comic books are not canon sorry

I figure they'll be as tall as their Predator figures.

So, the 15-18" seems about right.

By that scale then, a HT Deacon would be how tall do you think?

8-10"?

The best thing to do guys is put Carrotroll on "ignore".

It's so much quieter in here without the "crazy guy".

good thing they showed us who's in the iron man suit first movie so we don't waste the internet arguing on that one. Hell they even put MAN in the title to be sure!

I think Shaw was a replicant in the concept art.

Stupid Caesarean scene ruined that one.

JK Love that scene!

since hot toys is only making iron man what I want to see is one of those russian dolls where you open them up and a littler doll is inside.

I'm thinking CHair Suit opens to an Engineer which opens to a Deacon!

And a Shaw one that opens to a Trilobyte!

I figure they'll be as tall as their Predator figures.

So, the 15-18" seems about right.

By that scale then, a HT Deacon would be how tall do you think?

8-10"?

Yeah, I think the Deacon would be about that height. I'm pretty sure there's some concept art out there showing him standing upright, next to a human. I'll try to find it. If not me someone else.

This discussion is fun!

So, just to see if I got it right:
- CarrotBun supports the theory that the Space Jockey in Alien was always supposed to be a humanoid inside a suit, just like was shown in Prometheus.
- Sabres supports the theory that the Space Jockey was a bio-mechanical alien creature, unlike what was shown in Prometheus.

That's about the gist of it, right?

Well, here's my thoughts on it:

Giger clearly stated that the Space Jockey was a bio-mechanical alien creature, one with its chair and possibly the ship itself. Scott never said anything contrary to this and never hinted at a humanoid being inside that "suit".

It was all part of the mystery.

In the film "Alien", it's quite clear that the Space Jockey is a fossilized skeleton. The face clearly looks like a skull with some sort of proboscis that merges into the "sternum" of the creature. The color of the whole thing is that of old bone, and you can see what appear to be teeth, sunken cheeks and empty eye-sockets. All apparently "fused" to the chair. Very strange, very alien. What we would later learn to call "bio-mechanoid". The creature is shown to be very large in the open shots, Dallas and his team looking very small next to it (notice that it doesn't matter that Scott used his kids in mini-suits to make the SJ look larger, that is irrelevant outside of the universe of the movie).

Of course there were many other, earlier drawings relating to the life-cycle of the Alien that contained images of humanoid suited figures, but since they didn't make it into the final film, they too are irrelevant.

Fast forward to Prometheus.

In the film we see large humanoids who wear suits that bear a resemblance to the fossilized remains of the Space Jockey and climb into chairs very much like the one the SJ was one with, and even fly spaceships almost identical to the derelict ship of Alien.

However, these humanoids are much smaller than what was implied in Alien, and the suit and proportions are actually quite different from the creature in Alien. Just look at how the proboscis juts out from the top of the mouth almost, and the shape of the cheekbones and jawline. The size of the arms and hands (disproportionately large in comparison to the head), and how far pushed forward the head sits in relation to the shoulders. That is a very different shape from the engineers in Prometheus.

On the face of it, one would have to conclude these are two very different creatures.
But Prometheus does want us to believe they're one and the same.
We've already been asked to believe this in the Alien franchise once before. The aliens from Aliens looked very different and acted very different from the one in Alien, but we all accepted it.

In the end, Ridley Scott decided to make the Space Jockey into a humanoid in a suit for Prometheus. That's the story he wanted to tell, and that's how it is now.
Maybe they are two different species.
Or maybe the Space Jockey from Alien is just another victim of the black goo and was terribly mutated and fused into his chair...
Or maybe we just don't need to believe both films are in the same universe.

One thing is clear to me though. The Space Jockey in Alien wasn't meant to be or designed as a milky white, 8 foot tall, (mostly) benign forefather of humanity.

As for HT's figures, if Tsang gets the job of sculpting the Engineers, we should brace ourselves for more disappointment regarding accuracy.

Back