Hot Toys Princess Leia and Wicket Collectible Figures Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That hadn't really occurred to me, but going through my list of outstanding pre-orders there's just Sideshow's Lando remaining.

All the Mandalorian pre-orders feel like surrogate OT ones.

Going forward I can see HT diving into clones they way they dove into Iron Man and Spider-Man. It's easier money with repeat armour, tweaking the same sculpts, with some bald, some with bleached blond hair, and so on.

That and more from The Mandalorian, which would be welcome. Except when it's just subtle changes in Djarin's armour, which has been the movie merchandising trick employed over the last few decades to get fans to buy the same superhero again, and again, and again...

Trying to find something different, as in unique characters, might be difficult.

I have Lando coming too, could be the last Sideshow SW 1/6 ever. I'm excited for a good bit of The Mandalorian stuff, but I really want a couple OT characters to look forward to. I'll be a broken record and request Bespin Han, Lando, and Death Star Trooper. Those just feel long overdue.

I have Lando coming too, could be the last Sideshow SW 1/6 ever. I'm excited for a good bit of The Mandalorian stuff, but I really want a couple OT characters to look forward to. I'll be a broken record and request Bespin Han, Lando, and Death Star Trooper. Those just feel long overdue.

The first two are so long overdue. You'd think, with the current focus on race in the media, that a Cloud City Lando would be a certainty for Hot Toys. I'm still making do with the Sideshow on a Kaustic Plastik body, but Billy Dee Williams deserves better.

The Death Star Trooper is just frustrating. He looked ready to go, and then... nothing.

Same with the Romero Joker. :(

Just opened up the Leia and Wicket set.

Wicket appears to be the darker variety, especially his front which looks like the tips of the fur strands have had a dry brush of brown. His face is a little lighter.

The material is so good you can muss it up to give his face that shaggy dog appearance...like your dog, slikkerias!

The fur's reminiscent of the hair on Hot Toys' Planet of the Apes gorillas, in that it's soft yet posable. It'll stay however you 'style' it.

Wicket's so good it feels like it's Leia who's the supporting character in this set. :lol

(She's really good too, though).

I found it difficult to photograph Wicket's true colouring. If you part the fur on his front the base colour is a lot lighter than the darkened surface.

I took this photo from far back to try and diminish the effect of the flash, which otherwise picks out his base colour while ignoring the surface for some reason. Even so, the photo still makes him look lighter than he actually is:

50111533763_902a492db1_o.jpg

I took the following one without the flash. Not great, but it does show various differences in colour including little patches of the underlying white fur:

50112468932_ffcd3dc688_o.jpg

On the other hand, Leia is one of those sculpts that's easy to capture. This was close up with the flash:

50112105556_67712a044d_o.jpg

After some less than spectacular figures today's delivery feels like Hot Toys back near the top of their game. I think they cared a lot more about this one than the Jawa and Gonk, right down to the excellent weathering on the Stormtrooper helmet and the paintwork on the drum sticks.

One thing did slip though. The two corner scenery pieces don't slide flush over the tops of the bases. The sculpted groundwork on the top dips lower than the height of the base, so once they're in place they can't stand flat on the shelf.

50112417946_2887a446a9_o.jpg

The first two are so long overdue. You'd think, with the current focus on race in the media, that a Cloud City Lando would be a certainty for Hot Toys. I'm still making do with the Sideshow on a Kaustic Plastik body, but Billy Dee Williams deserves better.
I've thought about that for years now. China doesn't have the same social climate as the US does. If Hot Toys was a US based company, you can guarantee we would've gotten a Cloud City Lando long by now. I can understand they've yet to make 3PO, cause there's already several modern 1/6 versions of them. Just cause Lando didn't come in until the second movie, that doesn't make them less of a main OT character lol. But yeah, we should've had them, Han Bespin and a General Calrissian at this point.

I found it difficult to photograph Wicket's true colouring. If you part the fur on his front the base colour is a lot lighter than the darkened surface.

I took this photo from far back to try and diminish the effect of the flash, which otherwise picks out his base colour while ignoring the surface for some reason. Even so, the photo still makes him look lighter than he actually is:

50111533763_902a492db1_o.jpg

I took the following one without the flash. Not great, but it does show various differences in colour including little patches of the underlying white fur:

50112468932_ffcd3dc688_o.jpg

On the other hand, Leia is one of those sculpts that's easy to capture. This was close up with the flash:

50112105556_67712a044d_o.jpg

After some less than spectacular figures today's delivery feels like Hot Toys back near the top of their game. I think they cared a lot more about this one than the Jawa and Gonk, right down to the excellent weathering on the Stormtrooper helmet and the paintwork on the drum sticks.

One thing did slip though. The two corner scenery pieces don't slide flush over the tops of the bases. The sculpted groundwork on the top dips lower than the height of the base, so once they're in place they can't stand flat on the shelf.

50112417946_2887a446a9_o.jpg

I'm really excited to get these in next week, especially Wicket. I hope HT surprises with a Wampa someday. It now suddenly seems reasonably possible, especially if they ever make Hoth Luke and Han.

In regard to the bases that is a bit of a shame but I guess no surprise. Those diorama pieces were made to fit on the textured base with the footprints that came with Endor Luke and several others. I strongly would have preferred that base to the sticker ones included here.

I'm really excited to get these in next week, especially Wicket.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I get a bid jaded sometimes when it looks like a company has cut corners, but this was a really nice set to open.

A word of warning about Leia's helmet: it's a really tight fight, and I'm sure it would rub the paint off the hair if swapped too often. The instructions show the angle at which you place the head inside, then you really have to force it into the correct position. Fastening the chin strap wasn't easy either and you have to watch out for the two loose strands of hair. I'd always planned to have her displayed in full gear so getting the helmet on was a one-time task.

TurdFurgusonsHat said:
I hope HT surprises with a Wampa someday. It now suddenly seems reasonably possible, especially if they ever make Hoth Luke and Han.

I think it's certainly doable. They have the right material for fur, and they've made 1/4 figures so they have a body to make a 9' tall figure. With the hair as used on Wicket, Chewbacca or the gorillas, it could be futzed into a windblown look too.

TurdFurgusonsHat said:
In regard to the bases that is a bit of a shame but I guess no surprise. Those diorama pieces were made to fit on the textured base with the footprints that came with Endor Luke and several others. I strongly would have preferred that base to the sticker ones included here.

That's a good thought on why they might've ended up how they did. The dips could've originally lined up with the furrows in 'earth'.

But yeah, we should've had them, Han Bespin and a General Calrissian at this point.

I just want an OT Han that actually looks like Harrison Ford. I don't think that's too much to ask. I was initially hyped about HT starting a Star Wars line but sold off my small collection of episode IV Han, Chewie, and Luke because I was so dissatisfied with how they turned out. The likenesses just aren't there. Now that I've gone all in on HT Star Wars again (thanks, Mando) I'd like to have those characters represented in my collection but can't be bothered to track down some of the earlier figures due to their current prices and inferior headsculpts, especially when compared to some of the newer releases.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I get a bid jaded sometimes when it looks like a company has cut corners, but this was a really nice set to open.

A word of warning about Leia's helmet: it's a really tight fight, and I'm sure it would rub the paint off the hair if swapped too often. The instructions show the angle at which you place the head inside, then you really have to force it into the correct position. Fastening the chin strap wasn't easy either and you have to watch out for the two loose strands of hair. I'd always planned to have her displayed in full gear so getting the helmet on was a one-time task.

Nice Endor setup by the way! I have some modified Sideshow Endor Rebels as well. I did leave the old guy with the gray beard stock. Always meant to add some detail to the sculpt, maybe this release will motivate me to finish up these bashes.

Thanks for the warning about the helmet. Issues like this are unavoidable I suppose if you want the accessories to look right. Same sort of problem with the Mudtrooper. I do have two Leia figures coming in so one will probably be permanently wearing the helmet anyway.

Nice Endor setup by the way! I have some modified Sideshow Endor Rebels as well. I did leave the old guy with the gray beard stock. Always meant to add some detail to the sculpt, maybe this release will motivate me to finish up these bashes.

Thanks.

They're hanging out at the far end of a simple Jabba's palace. I want to cover the white wall behind them the same as the other end, to make them more enclosed.

49474305047_50654e114c_o.jpg

49473597498_6b5395a921_o.jpg

Endor begins with the Scout Trooper.

The Commandos have had various heads over the years, but I've settled on Kaustic Plastik's Randy Couture, CooModel's Gothic knight, and Pop Toy's squinting Russell Crowe Robin Hood.

TurdFurgusonsHat said:
Thanks for the warning about the helmet. Issues like this are unavoidable I suppose if you want the accessories to look right. Same sort of problem with the Mudtrooper. I do have two Leia figures coming in so one will probably be permanently wearing the helmet anyway.

It's tempting to get another Leia to do have both looks, as it's a shame to hide the uniform under the poncho.

It's tempting to get another Leia to do have both looks, as it's a shame to hide the uniform under the poncho.

I ended up getting a second set because I wanted both Leia looks and the Wicket is so well done, I'll find someplace to display the second one. He's really one of HT's best efforts IMO.

It's too bad the pandemic has killed my income for the moment -- were these more prosperous times, I would have enjoyed getting a single-packed Wicket and doing a realistically blood-spattered custom of the murderous beast having stabbed some hapless human in the throat before butchering and eating him, with those cold, dead eyes.

It's too bad the pandemic has killed my income for the moment -- were these more prosperous times, I would have enjoyed getting a single-packed Wicket and doing a realistically blood-spattered custom of the murderous beast having stabbed some hapless human in the throat before butchering and eating him, with those cold, dead eyes.

Lets get a go-fund-me for this guy started immediately. The world needs this creation!

LOL I have *a lot* of experience customizing gore and graphic violence. That?s the fate my G. I. Joes met back in the day just before I was done with them. [emoji38]

Kinda like a horrifying alternate ending to Toy Story.

*Edit: My dream figure is Jar Jar Binks. Oh, the places I would go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL I have *a lot* of experience customizing gore and graphic violence. That?s the fate my G. I. Joes met back in the day just before I was done with them. [emoji38]

Kinda like a horrifying alternate ending to Toy Story.

*Edit: My dream figure is Jar Jar Binks. Oh, the places I would go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rotfl

Back