Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi (The Clone Wars)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's difficult to restrain yourself from continuously opening that door with all these new releases. I've opened the door more-and-more from my initial intentions to collecting Hot Toys. It's mostly due to releases from past content that I've been anticipating to newer content that I've been enjoying. If I can stay within those boundaries, I think I'll have an enjoyable time collecting Hot Toys. I haven't got to the point where I regret a purchase so I'm thankful for that.

Buying what you like because you like the source material is perfect. So long as you have the space, it's the best way to be happy with your collection.

It's worse to pass on something and later regret not getting it. Costlier too.

Seems like you've got a great handle on what you want and staying within that. Not as great when buying a collectible feels like an obligation like completing a set, though that does happen with me admittedly.

I find myself kind of working backwards with my collection. Im picking up items that I don‘t want to search for later at the moment. We will be remodeling and adding on to our house in the spring and The Boss (my lovely wife) has authorized a generous amount of space for a glassed in collection room. It will be hard to leave most of these boxed up for the time being, but I am really excited about the display possibilities in the upcoming year.
This Kenobi is pretty much my “Grail”. Even when I was just collecting the 1:12, this was my most sought after figure. Still very excited about this!!!

Haha, I don’t know about that, but I rarely complain. Life is pretty good and collecting these amazing figures is fun. Sure, there are inaccuracies, but in the grand scheme of things, they’re great representations of all the movies and shows I have enjoyed all my life. My job is very rewarding, and fun, but like many other peoples, it can be stressful at times and my collecting is a nice way to wind down and enjoy time off.

I kept thinking about this throughout the whole month, and so I ended up pulling the trigger last minute before Kit closed down the POs. This is my first PO of 2023! I don't know if I'll end up getting any Clones to pair him with, or if he'll go with Maul/Dooku/Ventress/Grievous when I get them/if they happen, but I figured "screw it", I spent 300€ on Omnis just last week alone, a single figure isn't going to set me off track too much. Ideally I'd want a mini CW display, consisting of General Obi-Wan leading some Clones against the PT villains. That way I can also have my ROTS set-up regardless of whether I buy any Clones or PT extras or whatever else.

I can't wait to get him in hand in... 2 years or something. Oh well, I couldn't pass on one of the coolest looks in all of Star Wars. The question now is "helmet or no helmet". Hmm...

324235106_1501042400383425_5498481018672753669_n.jpg

Last edited:
I kept thinking about this throughout the whole month, and so I ended up pulling the trigger last minute before Kit closed down the POs. This is my first PO of 2023! I don't know if I'll end up getting any Clones to pair him with, or if he'll go with Maul/Dooky/Ventress/Grievous when I get them/if they happen, but I figured "screw it", I spent 300€ on Omnis just last week alone, a single figure isn't going to set me off track too much. Ideally I'd want a mini CW display, consisting of General Obi-Wan leading some Clones against the PT villains. That way I can also have my ROTS set-up regardless of whether I buy any Clones or PT extras or whatever else.

I can't wait to get him in hand in... 2 years or something. Oh well, I couldn't pass on one of the coolest looks in all of Star Wars. The question now is "helmet or no helmet". Hmm...

324235106_1501042400383425_5498481018672753669_n.jpg
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I love the helmet and would do it with my display (I'm very much a "helmet-on" kind of collector...), but I'm sure most will go with the helmetless head. The image of him holding the helmet in his hand is a good middle-ground.

To me, this is the "legend" display of him for me that seems larger-than-life, so I think the full-attire makes him look almost mythical.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I love the helmet and would do it with my display (I'm very much a "helmet-on" kind of collector...), but I'm sure most will go with the helmetless head. The image of him holding the helmet in his hand is a good middle-ground.

To me, this is the "legend" display of him for me that seems larger-than-life, so I think the full-attire makes him look almost mythical.
For me the headsculpts are the main selling point of these figures, alongside the soft goods materials. But most of my favourite characters wear masks. I'd never display my one Vader unmasked, Shaw or Hayden head, you know? Or have any Spider-Man or Iron Man without their masks on (it's why I'm still praying for HT to release a Tuxedo Tony). I will buy the inevitable ROTS re-issue in 2025, so I'll have a proper Obi-Wan too. Like you said, I see this get-up as the very definition of a Jedi Knight, at least in the PT Era, so the helmet does put on an extra flair. It adds to the Knight/Hoplite imagery. It's just that you lose the aspect of it being clearly Obi-Wan and it becomes more "faceless". But it is more unique as a look. Decisions, decisions...

I'm a "museum poser" more or less in general, but I do have this urge to create a sort of "battle diorama". You know how in the 90s X-Men opening you've got the X-Men and Brotherhood running towards each other? Similar thing, with Obi and his Clones on one side, and the PT Villains/Sith on the other. Not on running positions, just being seen from the side, all of them in action poses instead of museum/"cool and static" ones. I do however think that such a display would "obscure" them a bit, as they wouldn't be seen from the front. Maybe I could go with a forced perspective, type of thing? I suppose I'll have time to dwell on that. First they'll have to make a Ventress and a Grievous, then I'll have to hunt down, or wait for reissues for, Dooku and Maul, and so on. I figure the CW Anniversary might give me some of the Clones I want this year, so there's that.

For me the headsculpts are the main selling point of these figures, alongside the soft goods materials. But most of my favourite characters wear masks. I'd never display my one Vader unmasked, Shaw or Hayden head, you know? Or have any Spider-Man or Iron Man without their masks on (it's why I'm still praying for HT to release a Tuxedo Tony). I will buy the inevitable ROTS re-issue in 2025, so I'll have a proper Obi-Wan too. Like you said, I see this get-up as the very definition of a Jedi Knight, at least in the PT Era, so the helmet does put on an extra flair. It adds to the Knight/Hoplite imagery. It's just that you lose the aspect of it being clearly Obi-Wan and it becomes more "faceless". But it is more unique as a look. Decisions, decisions...

I'm a "museum poser" more or less in general, but I do have this urge to create a sort of "battle diorama". You know how in the 90s X-Men opening you've got the X-Men and Brotherhood running towards each other? Similar thing, with Obi and his Clones on one side, and the PT Villains/Sith on the other. Not on running positions, just being seen from the side, all of them in action poses instead of museum/"cool and static" ones. I do however think that such a display would "obscure" them a bit, as they wouldn't be seen from the front. Maybe I could go with a forced perspective, type of thing? I suppose I'll have time to dwell on that. First they'll have to make a Ventress and a Grievous, then I'll have to hunt down, or wait for reissues for, Dooku and Maul, and so on. I figure the CW Anniversary might give me some of the Clones I want this year, so there's that.
I've often thought of "battle dioramas" as well, but as you mentioned, the obscurity issue. One possible way of getting around this would be a display coffee table or an elevated case that would have glass/plexi for a 360 degree view. This may be the first figure, other than a trooper, where I buy two.

I've often thought of "battle dioramas" as well, but as you mentioned, the obscurity issue. One possible way of getting around this would be a display coffee table or an elevated case that would have glass/plexi for a 360 degree view. This may be the first figure, other than a trooper, where I buy two.
That's the problem with this type of collecting, isn't it? Museum poses can be boring at times and we're not maximising the use of these figures, but any different pose and angle obscures the figure itself. I'm off two minds about it. I don't like putting too much strain on them anyhow. But having every single figure just stand there becomes trite. The good thing about SW figures is that with the lightsabers and everything you can come up with quite a few different looks based on their fighting stance and whatnot. If I go the museum pose route with this, I'll just have General Kenobi with whatever Clone I get on one area, the PT villains in another, and so on. Classic breakdowns really. We'll see. I'm many years before I get to make that a reality so all I'm focusing on now is getting the figures, sticking them in my closets and waiting.

That's the problem with this type of collecting, isn't it? Museum poses can be boring at times and we're not maximising the use of these figures, but any different pose and angle obscures the figure itself. I'm off two minds about it. I don't like putting too much strain on them anyhow. But having every single figure just stand there becomes trite. The good thing about SW figures is that with the lightsabers and everything you can come up with quite a few different looks based on their fighting stance and whatnot. If I go the museum pose route with this, I'll just have General Kenobi with whatever Clone I get on one area, the PT villains in another, and so on. Classic breakdowns really. We'll see. I'm many years before I get to make that a reality so all I'm focusing on now is getting the figures, sticking them in my closets and waiting.
It’s not that difficult with proper staging. Maybe I have some experience, as a lot of my displays pair off rivals facing each other down (e.g. Sub-Zero vs Scorpion, Turtles vs Shredder, Power Rangers vs villains, etc.).

I’ve found a good aid is platform elevation can really help frame a confrontation pose and display if multiple characters are involved.

It’s not that difficult with proper staging. Maybe I have some experience, as a lot of my displays pair off rivals facing each other down (e.g. Sub-Zero vs Scorpion, Turtles vs Shredder, Power Rangers vs villains, etc.).

I’ve found a good aid is platform elevation can really help frame a confrontation pose and display if multiple characters are involved.
That is a neat trick. The thing is, if you start setting up "scenes" then you're halfway into a diorama and that's another can of worms. I'm utterly lost, I'll be honest. But I'll have time to think on it. I'll not display anything until I'm 90% there, so I've got nearly a decade to figure it out. I was going to go with moducases but then decided that it'd be better to get a professional carpenter to set up a configuration exactly how I want it, so for the time being I'll just be storing the boxes in my wardrobes...

Back