Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about it, given that Trevor's Mandarin is meant to serve as Killian's proxy, it'd be cool to have this figure and a figure of Killian standing at the back with the dragon tattoos visible, displayed together and labelled collectively as "The Mandarin".

I wonder how audiences are reacting to Trevor/Mandarin who aren't comic book fans with comic book fan expectations.

I thought the way he was handled in the movie was brilliant. They made "Mandarin" cooler, by making him a funny guy named Trevor, & made Killian more of a worthy adversary, by revealing him as the "real" Mandarin.

But this is coming from a person who is not exactly an expert on the comic Mandarin character.

I would say very positively. My wife, who has never read a comic book in her life was laughing and enjoying his performance. She made the comment that it was agood twist from portraying him as such a baddie and then ending up to being well......."Trevor".

Yep. I went with 3 others, without comic book knowledge, and they love it more than I, initially. When I explained the "comic book" reality, they could've cared less.

no more iron man movies! although they make money iron man 2 & 3 have gotten less than stellar reviews

Haha.
That's a great joke.
Did you realise that the purpose of the movies *is* to make money?
The people who say it's not good are people who can't seem to accept that they slightly deviated from the comics for the story.
Harry Knowles is a case in point.
The levels of self delusion to which he will go in order to try and make it work within comic book storylines is incredible.
:rotfl

I wonder how audiences are reacting to Trevor/Mandarin who aren't comic book fans with comic book fan expectations.

Judging by foreign box office receipts where the movie has been playing for two weekends, very positive. There seem to be a lot of people going back for repeat viewings which indicate people are enjoying the movie. I expect the same type of thing to happen here in the US in the coming weeks.

The people that are pissing and moaning about the Mandarin plot twist or any other aspect of the film they didn't like are very much in the minority and the box office receipts are bearing this out. Marvel will follow the money and all of the whiners will be ignored. I loved the film and thought the twist was a brilliant move.

People complaining about the plot twist and ignoring Killian obviously haven't been reading much Iron Man comics themselves.

Besides, Killian's already a good interpretation of the Mandarin when you factor in how his plot in IM3 seemed heavily inspired by the Mandarin's modern depiction in the Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (#15-28) storyline.

To be fair, that's pretty much the point of Trevor's portrayal of the Mandarin. It's meant to be Killian's "mask", except his "mask" is a full-image persona enacted by an actual person. People are misjudging it based on the fact that somehow the twist made Mandarin "into a joke" and that Killian sucks as a character, whereas Trevor's portrayal of the Mandarin is meant to be viewed as Killian's "mask", essentially serving as his proxy to shield his illegal experiments as if they're terrorist incidents. People shouldn't forget that Trevor's portrayal of "The Mandarin" is actually pretty closely tied to Killian himself.

Just as much as Tony Stark is the alter ego of Iron Man and wears the Iron Man suit, Aldrich Killian is the alter ego of "The Mandarin" (the terrorist image) and uses an idealized terrorist image to manipulate the media.

Agreed great post! I still wish he was just "The Mandarin" but it is what they went with. Whats funny is if they used the "Ultimate" version of The Mandarin people would have gone insane becasue there is no one person that is or isnt him. This version of him might have dna of the ulimtate version but at lest it looked cool for a time. As for killians look at lest they gave him fing fang foom tattoos and he spit fire lol.

And the alien rings? Let's actually think for a moment how that could've turned out for the general audience...

Tony: "So what am I up against here JARVIS?"

JARVIS: "It seems to be manipulated by some collection of alien artifacts, sir."

Tony: "Excuse me, but come again?"

JARVIS: "Sir, the Mandarin is discharging elemental forces through the use of alien artifacts in the form of rings."

Right. You'd have the average person asking "So wait what's the root of all of this?" Well, because dem aliens are at it again... dun dun dun we sure didn't see THAT coming.
No offense but a lot of average people watched Avengers without seeing any of the previous standalone films yet didn't delve too deep and question each character's origin. Spaceships, aliens, invasions are the flavor of the season and the mass populace just goes in to enjoy it. So there wouldn't have been many questions asked IM3 had gone that way.
BTW, Tony fought the Chitauri in Avengers and Thor is essentially an alien so why would he be surprised if the Mandarin's rings were alien artifacts??
Just to reiterate, my disappointment with the movie is not due to the Mandarin twist or the idealised version of the character.

No offense but a lot of average people watched Avengers without seeing any of the previous standalone films yet didn't delve too deep and question each character's origin. Spaceships, aliens, invasions are the flavor of the season and the mass populace just goes in to enjoy it. So there wouldn't have been many questions asked IM3 had gone that way.
BTW, Tony fought the Chitauri in Avengers and Thor is essentially an alien so why would he be surprised if the Mandarin's rings were alien artifacts??
Just to reiterate, my disappointment with the movie is not due to the Mandarin twist or the idealised version of the character.

Um actually...... I was exaggerating during that part of my post (as indicated by the following comment of "Jokes aside").

Still, I'd argue that IM3 was fairly introspective in comparison to the Avengers, and to hype up the Mandarin as some sort of down-to-earth terrorist (as shown in the trailers and even the way he was "hyped up" in the film) who's suddenly wielding magic alien rings adds a whole heap of unneeded convolution to a plot that already focuses on Tony's paranoia, PTSD/OCD issues and identity dilemma, the Iron Patriot image, Killian/The Mandarin's backstory and subplot along with his media manipulation and tampering with the Extremis virus.

I myself liked the twist. Aside from the name Killian WAS the Mandarin. He was a genius, had powers, had the tatoos, was a manipulator, etc... So if they released a Killian fig i'd buy it as well.

The #1 thing that I found disappointing about the film was the lack of major action sequence with tony stark in the iron man suit . Didn't see any mark vii or mark vi anytime during the film. I don't watch these films to watch tony stark invading the enemy head quarters as himself . I wanted to see iron man ! And all the extra iron man suit at the end got very little screen time and i couldn't appreciated them .last but not least was the final fight with pepper . Oh my god . I was like , that's it ? Very disappointed .

I personally enjoyed Tony Stark out of the suit, it reminded me of various scenarios in the comics in which he's been forced to fend for himself without the aid of his suits. It showed off Tony's capabilities without the suit on, or at least when he's only wearing fragments of them and it made for an entertaining watch in its own right (especially given how much we've seen of the suits capabilities in IM2 and Avengers).

BUT...

last but not least was the final fight with pepper . Oh my god . I was like , that's it ? Very disappointed .

Honestly that's the only major part that disappointed me. I greatly enjoyed the final fight between Killian and Tony, and while Pepper's moment was fun and all, it kinda just swept up the whole thing nice and quick. I'd have much preferred if they took Killian's final speech and shoved it in somewhere during the fight, and if he actually died because of the Mark 42's self-destruction. For a guy who wanted to be like Tony, it would've been truly fitting for him to die while wearing an Iron Man suit.

Um actually...... I was exaggerating during that part of my post (as indicated by the following comment of "Jokes aside").

Still, I'd argue that IM3 was fairly introspective in comparison to the Avengers, and to hype up the Mandarin as some sort of down-to-earth terrorist (as shown in the trailers and even the way he was "hyped up" in the film) who's suddenly wielding magic alien rings adds a whole heap of unneeded convolution to a plot that already focuses on Tony's paranoia, PTSD/OCD issues and identity dilemma, the Iron Patriot image, Killian/The Mandarin's backstory and subplot along with his media manipulation and tampering with the Extremis virus.
If they'd gone that way, it'd have set the stage for IM4 by having the Mandarin appear over two films and actually make an overall interesting plot but I guess they wanted to conclude the trilogy here.

The #1 thing that I found disappointing about the film was the lack of major action sequence with tony stark in the iron man suit . Didn't see any mark vii or mark vi anytime during the film. I don't watch these films to watch tony stark invading the enemy head quarters as himself . I wanted to see iron man ! And all the extra iron man suit at the end got very little screen time and i couldn't appreciated them .last but not least was the final fight with pepper . Oh my god . I was like , that's it ? Very disappointed .
+1. Thank you.

I got my fill of Tony fighting in the suit from IM2 and the ample amounts of it in The Avengers. I didn't need to see it again in this film and I am glad there wasn't much of it. It was nice to see Tony out of the suit and using his smarts to solve problems for a change.

I got my fill of Tony fighting in the suit from IM2 and the ample amounts of it in The Avengers. I didn't need to see it again in this film and I am glad there wasn't much of it. It was nice to see Tony out of the suit and using his smarts to solve problems for a change.

Agreed. We got a lot of armor action in IM2 and Avengers, so this was a nice change of pace. Now, for another change of pace we need to see a lot of armor action in A2, which I'm sure we'll get. :)

Killian declaring that he's the real Mandarin is the director's way of blatantly spelling it out for the folks who still can't seem to get it. The fact that some people are still in denial because they feel butt-hurt about the twist is just ridiculous and laughable.

Even so, Killian didn't need to say he's the Mandarin. He acted like the Mandarin, he fought hand-to-hand like the Mandarin and he even concocted his plans for a goal like the Mandarin would. Hell if the suited version wasn't enough, they even bothered to slap some dragon tattoos to hint at Killian's fondness for Asian motif and aesthetics (he didn't create the idealized Eastern image of the Mandarin as his proxy for nothing after all).

Also, Shane Black already confirmed that they actually gave the audience the MCU's version of the Mandarin through Guy Pearce's character Aldrich Killian. Whatever opinions people may have about the twist, it doesn't change the fact that Killian IS the Mandarin in the MCU. It doesn't get any more simpler than that.

Really? Do we really want a new "Mandarin" that was initially some disgraced British actor that got spoiled with money and hookers, yet somehow had an epiphany to embody the "Mandarin" just because he was given the opportunity to act out a created role as provided by Killian (the REAL Mandarin)?

I'm sorry, Ben Kingsley is a great actor, but turning Trevor into the "real" Mandarin is the worst thing they could possibly do. Also creating another "real" Mandarin for the sake of mirroring the older iterations of the character completely defeats the point of IM3. The whole idea behind the film was that you "create your own demons". Those personal "demons" aren't just outside forces (like Trevor's Mandarin portrayal), they're things that you had a hand in molding them, essentially creating your own chief tormentor. By designating Killian as Tony's personal "demon", it further cements his role as Iron Man's true arch-nemesis: The Mandarin

Lol :rotfl so true

Thanks for explaining all that to the kids, I knew I wasn't the only one that understood the movie :lol

Thinking about it, given that Trevor's Mandarin is meant to serve as Killian's proxy, it'd be cool to have this figure and a figure of Killian standing at the back with the dragon tattoos visible, displayed together and labelled collectively as "The Mandarin".

mandarin two-pack? :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Agreed. We got a lot of armor action in IM2 and Avengers, so this was a nice change of pace. Now, for another change of pace we need to see a lot of armor action in A2, which I'm sure we'll get. :)

i believe we will see a lot more of tony's specialty suits in A2. he'll call on jarvis so he can help to fight thanos. they will be operated remotely. we may even see tony don the gemini so he can pay a visit to thanos personally.

thanos.jpg

Back