Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some people cannot accept reality, marvel duped all of the people who still dont think he's the mandarin

They are in denial, its not easy for me to really understand why. Mainly because I loved the plot twist, I wanted it to happen actually.

I will always think Killian was the best enemy, so far

Killian yells he is the real mandarin, what else do you need?

I guess that means...

tumblr_mmdqahzlWj1rr767qo1_250.gif

We have a new Batman for Justice League, cos y'know he said he's Batman :rolleyes:

Yeah, that plastic surgery line kinda threw me the second time I saw it. Also, they already pulled one switcheroo, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pulled another one, assuming we get another Iron Man film.

Either way though, I loved the character and loved what they did with him. This is my most anticipated figure as of now.

no more iron man movies! although they make money iron man 2 & 3 have gotten less than stellar reviews

It all depends on the reviewer, because different people like different things. Besides, most of the reviews I have seen have been great so far and I really enjoyed the movie. I will be going back to see it again over the weekend. I would like to see more Iron Man movies made.

It all depends on the reviewer, because different people like different things. Besides, most of the reviews I have seen have been great so far and I really enjoyed the movie. I will be going back to see it again over the weekend. I would like to see more Iron Man movies made.

I will be seeing it for a 3rd time in the next several days

I enjoyed all 3 IM movies. Let them make more as long as they good.

:exactly:

We have a new Batman for Justice League, cos y'know he said he's Batman :rolleyes:

Killian declaring that he's the real Mandarin is the director's way of blatantly spelling it out for the folks who still can't seem to get it. The fact that some people are still in denial because they feel butt-hurt about the twist is just ridiculous and laughable.

Even so, Killian didn't need to say he's the Mandarin. He acted like the Mandarin, he fought hand-to-hand like the Mandarin and he even concocted his plans for a goal like the Mandarin would. Hell if the suited version wasn't enough, they even bothered to slap some dragon tattoos to hint at Killian's fondness for Asian motif and aesthetics (he didn't create the idealized Eastern image of the Mandarin as his proxy for nothing after all).

Also, Shane Black already confirmed that they actually gave the audience the MCU's version of the Mandarin through Guy Pearce's character Aldrich Killian. Whatever opinions people may have about the twist, it doesn't change the fact that Killian IS the Mandarin in the MCU. It doesn't get any more simpler than that.

So I can either see Trevor becoming the real Mandarin, possibly getting the magic rings via Thanos/Avengers 2 OR have the REAL Mandarin Trevor was playing actually surface. That's were the plastic surgery line plays in. So its possible Kingsley could play both Trevor and/or the real Mandarin again in the future.

Really? Do we really want a new "Mandarin" that was initially some disgraced British actor that got spoiled with money and hookers, yet somehow had an epiphany to embody the "Mandarin" just because he was given the opportunity to act out a created role as provided by Killian (the REAL Mandarin)?

I'm sorry, Ben Kingsley is a great actor, but turning Trevor into the "real" Mandarin is the worst thing they could possibly do. Also creating another "real" Mandarin for the sake of mirroring the older iterations of the character completely defeats the point of IM3. The whole idea behind the film was that you "create your own demons". Those personal "demons" aren't just outside forces (like Trevor's Mandarin portrayal), they're things that you had a hand in molding them, essentially creating your own chief tormentor. By designating Killian as Tony's personal "demon", it further cements his role as Iron Man's true arch-nemesis: The Mandarin

Last edited:
Fact of the matter is, it was a wasted opportunity in using 2 fantastic plots (extremis & the mandarin) to just combine it into one.

Although there are some who love how Killian was portrayed as "mandarin' his character is uninspiring and seemed to forced.

For me the main peeve I have is not the plot twist but how the writers / directors pays absolutely no homage or respect to Iron Man's nemesis.

Imagine if red skull was a guy with tattoos of skulls instead or if Loki was mortal who gained Asgards power through the tesseract?

It all boils down to how Tony needs a villian with ties to the 10 rings organisation which has been teased and its leader, the villain who wields ten alien artifacts on his fingers which goes against IM comprehension of technology and science. This has been the conflict for every IM vs Mandarin story ever written. IM's tech vs 'magic' or alien science he has to overcome.

It all boils down to how Tony needs a villian with ties to the 10 rings organisation which has been teased and its leader, the villain who wields ten alien artifacts on his fingers which goes against IM comprehension of technology and science. This has been the conflict for every IM vs Mandarin story ever written. IM's tech vs 'magic' or alien science he has to overcome.

Except, the trailers NEVER hinted that Tony was up against some guy with alien artifacts. The fact that people were expecting that shows how much people projected their own little fantasies on what they think would make for a good IM plot just because they saw some "turrerrisht" that resembled the typical outward appearance of the Mandarin. Also let's blatantly forget the fact that he was never even shown as demonstrating any level of "mysticism" in the trailers and looked like some Bin Laden expy that employed disguised-media helicopters to shoot down Stark's home. Wooooooooo~ because that sure showed Tony off with some good ol' "magic" amirite?

And the alien rings? Let's actually think for a moment how that could've turned out for the general audience...

Tony: "So what am I up against here JARVIS?"

JARVIS: "It seems to be manipulated by some collection of alien artifacts, sir."

Tony: "Excuse me, but come again?"

JARVIS: "Sir, the Mandarin is discharging elemental forces through the use of alien artifacts in the form of rings."

Right. You'd have the average person asking "So wait what's the root of all of this?" Well, because dem aliens are at it again... dun dun dun we sure didn't see THAT coming.

Jokes aside, how come I didn't see anyone complain over how Red Skull somehow got turned into Captain America's twin in terms of being his predecessor within the Super Soldier program? All for the sake making him seem like a far closer enemy than he ever seemed within the comics. Yet when we're given a compelling plot that actually tries to tie the Mandarin a lot closer to Tony Stark's inner conflict in regards to the concept of identity ("Iron Man" vs Tony Stark), people are quick to dismiss it as a throwaway plot. Why, because you wanted to see some science vs magic plot? Talk about priorities.

So wait, is it because they mashed both Extremis and Mandarin? How unheard of?! Let's take a moment and look over here, taken straight from the wiki I present the storyline of Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (#15-28):
The Mandarin infiltrates the U.S. government via his role as CEO of Prometheus, a corporation specializing in bio-engineered weaponry. He appears to be using Extremis creator and Tony Stark's former love interest Maya Hansen to produce an army of Extremis enhanced soldiers as well as financing and arming terrorists around the globe. The Mandarin also appears to plan unleashing the Extremis virus in aerosol form on the public, expecting the 97.5% fatality ratio to cause a mass catastrophe of deaths. The Mandarin admits to Hansen that even he will die in the outbreak but she and those with the gene to survive will become free from disease and become effectively immortal. Though he has his Extremis disabled, Iron Man defeats the Mandarin while wearing the Silver Centurion armor by tearing five of the rings out of the Mandarin's spine, blasting him with those rings, his unibeam, and repulsors at the same time, and then freezing him as he is engulfed in deadly concentrated Extremis virus. Iron Man then prevents the Extremis-outbreak.

When the Mandarin's apparently frozen body is autopsied, all that is found is a blackened husk... not unlike an Extremis chrysalis.

Last edited:
I wonder how audiences are reacting to Trevor/Mandarin who aren't comic book fans with comic book fan expectations.

Last edited:
a lot of talk here on the movie and blacks interpitation of "The Mandarin". I really did not like, it did feel forced and a bit last second. This said I still want this figure, I looked at trevor as a costume killian puts on. Trevor was the face of the Mandarin while Killian was the body. i guess what ever to tell my self to keep me intrested in this figure lol. anyone know a preorder date?

I wonder how audiences are reacting to Trevor/Mandarin who aren't comic book fans with comic book fan expectations.
I thought the way he was handled in the movie was brilliant. They made "Mandarin" cooler, by making him a funny guy named Trevor, & made Killian more of a worthy adversary, by revealing him as the "real" Mandarin.

But this is coming from a person who is not exactly an expert on the comic Mandarin character.

a lot of talk here on the movie and blacks interpitation of "The Mandarin". I really did not like, it did feel forced and a bit last second. This said I still want this figure, I looked at trevor as a costume killian puts on. Trevor was the face of the Mandarin while Killian was the body. i guess what ever to tell my self to keep me intrested in this figure lol. anyone know a preorder date?

To be fair, that's pretty much the point of Trevor's portrayal of the Mandarin. It's meant to be Killian's "mask", except his "mask" is a full-image persona enacted by an actual person. People are misjudging it based on the fact that somehow the twist made Mandarin "into a joke" and that Killian sucks as a character, whereas Trevor's portrayal of the Mandarin is meant to be viewed as Killian's "mask", essentially serving as his proxy to shield his illegal experiments as if they're terrorist incidents. People shouldn't forget that Trevor's portrayal of "The Mandarin" is actually pretty closely tied to Killian himself.

Just as much as Tony Stark is the alter ego of Iron Man and wears the Iron Man suit, Aldrich Killian is the alter ego of "The Mandarin" (the terrorist image) and uses an idealized terrorist image to manipulate the media.

I would say very positively. My wife, who has never read a comic book in her life was laughing and enjoying his performance. She made the comment that it was agood twist from portraying him as such a baddie and then ending up to being well......."Trevor".

Back