Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shane Black basically gave the Mandarin the same treatment Chris Nolan gave to Ra's Al Ghul, only this time, for some reason, there is much more backlash from the fans.

IMO it was a good twist, but a great waste of the great design the team came up with for the Mandarin/Slattery. That, and the poor showcasing of the Iron Legion (can't they fight during the day instead?? or at least where there're more lights like in IM 2!), I think is my main disappointments with IM 3.

IMHO it was a PERFECT twist.. I feel sorry for those that dislike the twist so much, but it almost doesn't make sense.. the twist made the character so much intresting. But personally, I kind of wanted something like that to happen, I think Killian/Real Mandarin is far more intresting than a random terrorist with magic rings. Killian is the best

And I love how they handled Extremis, it even felt realistic

IMHO it was a PERFECT twist.. I feel sorry for those that dislike the twist so much, but it almost doesn't make sense.. the twist made the character so much intresting. But personally, I kind of wanted something like that to happen, I think Killian/Real Mandarin is far more intresting than a random terrorist with magic rings. Killian is the best

And I love how they handled Extremis, it even felt realistic

It felt entirely unrealistic to me...

It felt entirely unrealistic to me...
Oh, it wasn't that bad.
Could have been a lot worse.
In my opinion(Just an opinion, mind you), the comic book versions of the story from way back would have been more unrealistic. Those rings work fine in the comics, but in the Iron Man Marvel Universe portrayed in the movies, it's a bit lame. It would have been like an episode of Power Rangers: "Matter Rearranger! White Light! Flame Blast! Electro-Blast! Mento-Intensifier! Ice Blast! Black Light! Disintegration Beam! Vortex Beam! Impact Beam!
What we got in the movie was internally consistent with the movie universe as we have been shown so far, and a twist on the comics. It's certainly no more of a stretch than Rhodey STEALING the MKII and making WM from it, or the mix of Crimson Dynamo/Whiplash.
In reality, it was a MASTERSTROKE by Black. I had only a vague notion of what the Mandarin was before entering the cinema to see IM3(I'm not the hardcore comic fan that some are of course), so when it was revealed, i was thinking: "Ahhh. Touche, Shane black, Touche...".
I bet there were no big Mandarin fans who saw THAT coming.
And of course, i feel that's why they are all so very unhappy.
They somehow feel robbed by the old switcheroo in the movie.
Like they weren't clever enough to see it coming so they feel like they were walking down a street and someone with their feet sticking out out tripped them up.
But it's only my opinion. I could be wrong.

Oh, it wasn't that bad.
In my opinion(Just an opinion, mind you), the comic book versions of the story from way back would have been more unrealistic. Those rings work fine in the comics, but in the Iron Man Marvel Universe portrayed in the movies, it's a bit lame. It would have been like an episode of Power Rangers: "Matter Rearranger! White Light! Flame Blast! Electro-Blast! Mento-Intensifier! Ice Blast! Black Light! Disintegration Beam! Vortex Beam! Impact Beam!
What we got in the movie was internally consistent with the movie universe as we have been shown so far
, and a twist on the comics. It's certainly no more of a stretch than Rhodey STEALING the MKII and making WM from it, or the mix of Crimson Dynamo/Whiplash.
In reality, it was a MASTERSTROKE by Black. I had only a vague notion of what the Mandarin was before entering the cinema to see IM3(I'm not the hardcore comic fan that some are of course), so when it was revealed, i was thinking: "Ahhh. Touche, Shane black, Touche...".
I bet there were no big Mandarin fans who saw THAT coming.
And of course, i feel that's why they are all so very unhappy.
They somehow feel robbed by the old switcheroo in the movie.
Like they weren't clever enough to see it coming so they feel like they were walking down a street and someone with their feet sticking out out tripped them up.
But it's only my opinion. I could be wrong.

:exactly: thats exactly what I think

And thats the thing, many people feel terrible when there is a plot twist they didn't see coming, its like they feel cheated, thats lame

Iron man had a "this could happen someday" feeling, thats why the classic mandarin would be a terrible idea for this universe, instead the used the mandarin from Iron Man Director of Shield and it was a great idea.

Off topic: But IF they bring to life that stupid talking raccon in the future they will ruin that forever and these movies will become childish... thats an insult to all the people that have been watching the marvel movies since Iron Man imo :gah: I'll try to get used to that idea and I might give GotG a chance

Last edited:
Oh, it wasn't that bad.
In my opinion(Just an opinion, mind you), the comic book versions of the story from way back would have been. ..........
I was refering to the Extremist virus.... not Mandarin's Twist or powers (in the comics)...

Mandarin Twist.... good name for a drink...

I was refering to the Extremist virus.... not Mandarin's powers (in the comics)...

Sorry. I was rambling, but meant to alight on that too near the end. I think a genetic modification to allow you to have that kind of access to other capabilities isn't that bad. Within the realms of the "reality", the MKI suit was semi-believable, but any Mark suit after that is so far into the realm of sci-fi that it's totally un-doable in the real world, why should the baddies be confined to "reality".
That's just the way i justify the leap.

Henry said:
Off topic: But IF they bring to life that stupid talking raccon in the future they will ruin that forever and these movies will become childish... thats an insult to all the people that have been watching the marvel movies since Iron Man imo :gah: I'll try to get used to that idea and I might give GotG a chance
Perhap an Alien that very remotely resembles a Raccoon....

Last edited:
Iron Man 3 was a blast for me. I really enjoyed it especially the epic gigantic ending battle. As for the mandarin twist, i think it was handled perfectly. i don't see why a few fans are pissed about the twist, we at least got a Mandarin in the movie.

My only head-scratching part in the movie was the end where *SPOILER* Tony gets the metal pieces of shrapnel removed from his heart. I started asking myself, since it was killing him, why didn't he ever get the surgery to remove them years earlier.
I may have missed something in these Iron Man movies pertaining to the RT, so if anyone can fill in the blanks, i will be grateful.

Iron Man 3 was a blast for me. I really enjoyed it especially the epic gigantic ending battle. As for the mandarin twist, i think it was handled perfectly. i don't see why a few fans are pissed about the twist, we at least got a Mandarin in the movie.

My only head-scratching part in the movie was the end where *SPOILER* Tony gets the metal pieces of shrapnel removed from his heart. I started asking myself, since it was killing him, why didn't he ever get the surgery to remove them years earlier.
I may have missed something in these Iron Man movies pertaining to the RT, so if anyone can fill in the blanks, i will be grateful.

The Extremis virus is what allowed the shrapnel to be removed. The shrapnel was one of those "too risky to operate" type things. The virus (in the comics anyways) essentially rewrites the recipients genetic code, changing what the virus is programmed to change and "writing out" all the imperfections thus making a "perfect human". The "imperfections", in Tonys case, being the shrapnel and Arc Reactor. I'm not 100% sure what the MCU explanation is, but that's the gist of it.

I've seen this asked a few times.

Spoiler Spoiler:

9323524907_e9975bb0cf_b.jpg

Well I'll be ****ed! :lol

He looks excellent!! :lol :yess: :clap :rock

Might buy.. :lecture

I think it's true to say that the hardcore comic fans didn't like the treatment of the Mandarin, and use that as an excuse to say the movie was no good.
But it was just a movie. And the movie-going public seemed to like it plenty.
I liked it, but wasn't able to find the time to go and see it more than once.
I'll get it on Blu-Ray though.
I loved the fact that we got to see at least half of the movie of Tony doing what got him out of trouble in the desert in the first movie.
Macguyver-ing devices from stuff bought and Home Depot, and taking care of baddies without his suit.
It was a lot better than the 2nd one, and in my opinion, also better than the first one.
But just an opinion all the same.
I find it strange that the people who didn't like it the most always want to tell everyone how rubbish the movie was, lol.
Almost like they think if they keep telling everyone that liked it how bad it *really* was, we will eventually hate it too.

I think it's true to say that the hardcore comic fans didn't like the treatment of the Mandarin, and use that as an excuse to say the movie was no good.
But it was just a movie. And the movie-going public seemed to like it plenty.
I liked it, but wasn't able to find the time to go and see it more than once.
I'll get it on Blu-Ray though.
I loved the fact that we got to see at least half of the movie of Tony doing what got him out of trouble in the desert in the first movie.
Macguyver-ing devices from stuff bought and Home Depot, and taking care of baddies without his suit.
It was a lot better than the 2nd one, and in my opinion, also better than the first one.
But just an opinion all the same.
I find it strange that the people who didn't like it the most always want to tell everyone how rubbish the movie was, lol.
Almost like they think if they keep telling everyone that liked it how bad it *really* was, we will eventually hate it too.

I don't think I've enjoyed any super hero movie like i did Iron Man 3. I'm not saying it was the best super hero movie of all time, but out of all the super heroes movies I've seen, Iron Man 3 was the most enjoyable.

I don't think I've enjoyed any super hero movie like i did Iron Man 3. I'm not saying it was the best super hero movie of all time, but out of all the super heroes movies I've seen, Iron Man 3 was the most enjoyable.

I thought it added a lot more fun than the 2nd film, and fun was what was missing from the franchise.
So many cool visuals.
I love the idea that Tony parks his armour on the kerb next to bikes. And that nobody even bats an eye, lol.

The Extremis virus is what allowed the shrapnel to be removed. The shrapnel was one of those "too risky to operate" type things. The virus (in the comics anyways) essentially rewrites the recipients genetic code, changing what the virus is programmed to change and "writing out" all the imperfections thus making a "perfect human". The "imperfections", in Tonys case, being the shrapnel and Arc Reactor. I'm not 100% sure what the MCU explanation is, but that's the gist of it.

In the Chinese version of the movie it was implied that the virus was not used and the removal of shrapnel was due to mostly the skill of the Chinese surgeon introed in the begining of the movie at the new year's party.

I've seen this asked a few times.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Thats awesome, before watching the movie I wanted Tony and Pepper to use Extremis and I thought that would make the next Avengers very intresting.

But I think Tony being the only really normal guy of the grup is what makes him special, and Robert knows that and Whedon probably thinks the same.

I think Tony will always be a normal human in terms of strenght and all that, but I hope Pepper has some extremis 2.0 in her

I thought it added a lot more fun than the 2nd film, and fun was what was missing from the franchise.
So many cool visuals.
I love the idea that Tony parks his armour on the kerb next to bikes. And that nobody even bats an eye, lol.

:exactly: :goodpost:

Back