Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get why people don't buy based on what they see in a movie.
It's important how crappy a movie is or how bad the character was, even if the design was kick *** people should not give it a try.

At the end of the day the Hot Toys aren't going to be on your shelf talking to you (unless you play with them and do voices yourself). They will be displayed and you will look at them. Therefore the design is a larger factor than the characterisation of the character.

At the end of the day the Hot Toys aren't going to be on your shelf talking to you (unless you play with them and do voices yourself).
They will be displayed and you will look at them. Therefore the design is a larger factor than the characterisation of the character.

For many-many folks, yes. And good point :)

The mouse did not get the cheese this time. Stop pretending.

You know, its funny you bring up Bane. As much as I liked Tom Hardy's performance in Dark Knight Rises, Bane' depiction onscreen bothers me more than Kingsley's fake Mandarin. I really wanted the juicer Bane and really hated that they gave his origin to Talia. I thought Guy Pierce made a pretty decent Mandarin, if you look at the film in that sense. It all comes down to everyone's own personal OCD. :)

No, he was a decent Killian. Mandarin was a complete red herring. No power rings, no substance, no cultural significance = No Mandarin.

To those who are saying that they shat on the Mandarin's character, I'm re-posting what I said before along with the interview quote:

Again, from there, you can see that the Mandarin character was divided between Killian and the terrorist persona as depicted by Trevor. You can find the rest of the whole interview surrounding the twist and the idea behind it in the following link: https://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/04/iron-man-3-mandarin-spoiler/

Factor in how Drew Pearce said that he researched on all the various versions of the Mandarin, it's readily apparent that they definitely based Killian on his modern version. Also my own analysis on the whole Mandarin controversy: https://ronriii.tumblr.com/post/50492140064/aldrich-killian-is-the-mandarin

In that regard, here's some concept art for the "Mandarin" (both Killian and Trevor)

So, you guys are ok with the American Killian forming the ten rings terrorist organization, using extremis for suicide bombings, wanting to kill the POTUS, wanting to kill/capture Tony, implanting Extremis in Potts.................... because?

- Tony left him on a roof in 1999.
- Pepper rejected AIM
- He needed help perfecting Extremis and did it all just to pressure Tony

Why was ten rings so vital to his overall scheme? Did they bring in alot of money for his company? Somehow I doubt it.

By making Killian=Mandarin, they obliterated both characters. Excuse me when I call the senseless PC claim that comic book Mandarin was nothing but a Chinese stereotype because of his facial hair exactly what it is, senseless. So to cleanse the palate of such an outrage, you strip him of his nationality, his personality, his power source, and everything except a green robe. At least if the man was actually Chinese you could have a fascinating cultural conflict on top of any personal vendetta but since it was all a fakeout,none of those terror attacks have any deeper meaning than "you left me on the roof".

Lazy storytelling. He's the bad guy cuz.... he... he just is! I suppose it could have been worse, he could have wanted to turn everyone into lizards. Then again, you'd be okay if Dr. Connors was actually a mutant hamster because lizards are horribly stereotypical bad guy animals right?

But according to your superficial standards, dragon tattoos make him a legit Mandarin. Your point that Killian was a good choice to be the Mandarin because he shares some visual cues in the comics and that he's accurate to the extremis arc Killian, except for the whole "being Mandarin" thing is really something else.

For godsakes man. :slap

I'm sure you'd be okay with a major villain like Joker getting the same treatment? How stereotypical for the Joker to be some deranged white guy. Let's make him John Leguizamo and be a front for the Riddler! As you can see, Riddler's IQ is much more representative of the kind of intellect needed to really keep Bats on his toes.

For many-many folks, yes. And good point :)

That's why I'm still getting him. Though I may change my mind the more I talk about this underwater polar bear ****-storm lol.

I actually don't have a huge problem with how Mandarin was handled in the movie. In the comics he was originally a bad Asian stereotype, so the filmmakers not treating him with a lot of respect doesn't bug me so much. On the other hand, it is a bit crummy that one of Iron Man's most important comic villain is treated this way. Maybe I don't care so much because I've never been the biggest fan of the comics, though. If Magneto or Red Skull were treated this way it would bug me much more. The way Doom and Galactus were (mis)handled still pisses me off to no end, though those were just incredibly ****ty movies in general.

I wasn't happy with them either, but at least they were actual attempts at the characters and were actual villains. Mandarins adaption was by far the worse as they didn't even bother, they used audiences desire to see him against them and turned him into a joke. If they had tried and failed then that would be one thing but they like Frank says...

The Mandarin looked great but the movie absolutely shat on his character. At least Bane was still Bane at the end of Rises. LOL.

_____

I don't get why people buy based on what they see in a movie :dunno. No matter how crappy a movie is or how bad the character was, if the design was kick *** people should at least give it a try.

I agree to a point.

Green Lantern was a let down movie but the designs were awesoem and many of us wanted the figure in the end to have the character and design not the movie or story.

With Mandarin however they purposefully ruined him. It's much harder to have just the design knowing how they butchered the character on-screen so by turning him into a different joke character. At least Hal Jordan was the hero and a Green Lantern so can be bought on that merit, but Mandarin isn't the Mandarin.

So, you guys are ok with the American Killian forming the ten rings terrorist organization, using extremis for suicide bombings, wanting to kill the POTUS, wanting to kill/capture Tony, implanting Extremis in Potts.................... because?
Killian was said to have appropriated the Ten Rings organization and their iconography, so he was still an outside source and no he did not form the group nor was he their leader (a risky and bold move on his part according to the writer).
Next time, please research before you accuse. :slap
- Pepper rejected AIM

Why was ten rings so vital to his overall scheme? Did they bring in alot of money for his company? Somehow I doubt it.
Because A) it obviously brings in the whole Mandarin reference in full circle and B) Killian probably chose the organization specifically because they attacked Tony Stark before in IM1, making it seem more likely for them to attack Tony in the first place.

By making Killian=Mandarin, they obliterated both characters. Excuse me when I call the senseless PC claim that comic book Mandarin was nothing but a Chinese stereotype because of his facial hair exactly what it is, senseless. So to cleanse the palate of such an outrage, you strip him of his nationality, his personality, his power source, and everything except a green robe. At least if the man was actually Chinese you could have a fascinating cultural conflict on top of any personal vendetta but since it was all a fakeout,none of those terror attacks have any deeper meaning than "you left me on the roof".
Robbed his personality? Killian wasn't simply out for revenge, he practically wanted to monopolize on both sides of the conflict he was creating by using the terrorist persona all while having direct influence on the Vice President had he succeeded in his plan. His mentality as a war-mongering, war-profiteering, mad scientist who was hell-bent on perfecting humans on a genetic level with complete disregard of the risks involved is very much like the Mandarin, and yet you're blatantly ignoring all that because you're still clinging on the notion that all his character was about "you left me on the roof".
Lazy storytelling. He's the bad guy cuz.... he... he just is! I suppose it could have been worse, he could have wanted to turn everyone into lizards. Then again, you'd be okay if Dr. Connors was actually a mutant hamster because lizards are horribly stereotypical bad guy animals right?
Your exaggerated remarks in regards to these other characters are hilariously ridiculous and wholly irrelevant.

But according to your superficial standards, dragon tattoos make him a legit Mandarin. Your point that Killian was a good choice to be the Mandarin because he shares some visual cues in the comics and that he's accurate to the extremis arc Killian, except for the whole "being Mandarin" thing is really something else.
My "superficial" standards? Please, no need to credit me for your frustrations. I didn't make the choice of officially labeling Killian as the "Mandarin", the director did, as did Marvel's main representative Kevin Fiege. I simply outlined Killian's source of inspiration as a character along with the blatant references to modern depictions of the Mandarin that you're seemingly happy to ignore. Also, in no way at any point did I say that he was accurate to "extremis arc Killian", quite the opposite in fact. So to correct your statement, I'm sorry to break it up to you but no; it's not JUST the dragon tattoos.

I'm sure you'd be okay with a major villain like Joker getting the same treatment? How stereotypical for the Joker to be some deranged white guy. Let's make him John Leguizamo and be a front for the Riddler! As you can see, Riddler's IQ is much more representative of the kind of intellect needed to really keep Bats on his toes.
Except for the fact that Joker's origins as a character wasn't based on a stereotype...? Actually I won't even bother, the fact that you really had to come up with this ridiculous scenario is more than enough indication for me to avoid this "point" altogether (if you could seriously call it that).

Last edited:
Ronri said:
Killian was said to have appropriated the Ten Rings organization and their iconography, so he was still an outside source and no he did not form the group nor was he their leader (a risky and bold move on his part according to the writer).

Wasn't explained in the movie and isn't exaclty common knowledge.

Only reason i know as it was posted as a blurb from one of the writers in the movie thread.

Because A) it obviously brings in the whole Mandarin reference in full circle and B) Killian probably chose the organization specifically because they attacked Tony Stark before in IM1, making it seem more likely for them to attack Tony in the first place.

Robbed his personality? Killian wasn't simply out for revenge, he practically wanted to monopolize on both sides of the conflict he was creating by using the terrorist persona all while having direct influence on the Vice President had he succeeded in his plan. His mentality as a war-mongering, war-profiteering, mad scientist who was hell-bent on perfecting humans on a genetic level with complete disregard of the risks involved is very much like the Mandarin, and yet you're blatantly ignoring all that because you're still clinging on the notion that all his character was about "you left me on the roof".

Your exaggerated remarks in regards to these other characters are hilariously ridiculous and wholly irrelevant.

My "superficial" standards? Please, no need to credit me for your frustrations. I didn't make the choice of officially labeling Killian as the "Mandarin", the director did, as did Marvel's main representative Kevin Fiege. I simply outlined Killian's source of inspiration as a character along with the blatant references to modern depictions of the Mandarin that you're seemingly happy to ignore. Also, in no way at any point did I say that he was accurate to "extremis arc Killian", quite the opposite in fact. So to correct your statement, I'm sorry to break it up to you but no; it's not JUST the dragon tattoos.

Except for the fact that Joker's origins as a character wasn't based on a stereotype...? Actually I won't even bother, the fact that you really had to come up with this ridiculous scenario is more than enough indication for me to avoid this "point" altogether (if you could seriously call it that).

:exactly::goodpost:

The one on the right would be a cool bash using the Kingsley head.
LokBro8.jpg

- Pepper rejected AIM

For godsakes man. :slap

:goodpost:

He didn't form the ten rings.
The Ten rings were already in existence(Or perhaps they were all killed by Stane's men in Afghanistan in IM1).
It's like me blowing stuff up in Washington DC, and sending a letter to the white house claiming Al-Qaeda was responsible.
It doesn't mean i formed Al-Qaeda. Just that i am BLAMING IT on them...
This was made evident in the movie.
Not totally overt, but loads of people missed it. You weren't the only one.

He was in the business of turning soldiers into an Extremis-powered army.
Several couldn't *regulate*, and blew up.
If he left it as-is, the government would investigate and find him to be attached to the soldiers in a slight way, so he staged the ten rings thing to deflect the press onto a feared terror organisation that already existed and hired an actor to play the head of the ten rings.
That's it.
No need to read anything more into it than that.

Ah, gotcha. :lol No before I posted I saw that Frank and others were openly discussing the "twist" so I figured it'd be fair game to bring up. :) Are people still expecting a Kingsley figure?

Ah, gotcha. :lol No before I posted I saw that Frank and others were openly discussing the "twist" so I figured it'd be fair game to bring up. :) Are people still expecting a Kingsley figure?

I'd buy it.
But i kind of doubt it will be as big a seller after all the crybabies acted like IM3 had raped their little sisters by adding the twist.
On one hand, if Mandarin had been like the comics, they would have sold out on this figure.
On the other, it was a twist i certainly never saw coming, and i thought was very cleverly done.

To those who are saying that they shat on the Mandarin's character, I'm re-posting what I said before along with the interview quote:

Again, from there, you can see that the Mandarin character was divided between Killian and the terrorist persona as depicted by Trevor. You can find the rest of the whole interview surrounding the twist and the idea behind it in the following link: https://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/05/04/iron-man-3-mandarin-spoiler/

Factor in how Drew Pearce said that he researched on all the various versions of the Mandarin, it's readily apparent that they definitely based Killian on his modern version. Also my own analysis on the whole Mandarin controversy: https://ronriii.tumblr.com/post/50492140064/aldrich-killian-is-the-mandarin

While it makes for a good read, and I really appreciate you taking the time to put this together... I gotta say... "Trevor aka The Mandarin" still sucks ***** and has to be one of the dumbest characters in movie history next to Jar Jar Binks... there's no way around it... and it RUINED the movie for me, and for a lot of people too... and no amount of justification will ever change that...

Back