1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Oh I don’t think so

f7ccf11484bb509058e528c810f169d6.jpg

Hey looks like they have a diff kind of fabric underneath the robe. Maybe to avoid the robe from staining the resin parts upon contact on the hands perhaps?

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

The bottom lip is slightly too big

This is another good comparison.

View attachment 449468

Hmm the beard is lighter in the proto, I think if you lighten the bottom part of the beard the light will capture his upper lip exposing the balance of his mouth better. Again that’s extra work we shouldn’t have to deal with..c’mon HT :slap

Just needs a bit more brow/orange tint on the hair and a deeper brow line, maybe they couldn’t opened his mouth a little to avoid the tongue lip look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This looks fine to me except for one thing that I can't stop seeing. The bottom lip looks like it's his tongue sticking out in a lot of photos. Hopefully doesn't look like that in hand under normal lighting. :pfft:

:lol I thought the same!

Definitely looks better in some pics than in others, hopefully when people starting getting the figure in hand, we will get a better idea (and better pics), still I am glad to see this one being released and even though it is a bit off from the prototype I like it enough to keep my order. :)

My mom used to have a cat missing it’s front teeth, it was a rescue. It’s tongue was perpetually sticking out of its mouth. The lip on this figure reminds me of her.

It's not even softening of the sculpt, that hair and beard has zero definition in it, looks like a mound of one piece lego hair.

I agree with that. Terrible paint job on hair and beard. By terrible, I mean compared to HT standards.

Man, oh man. That lip. I can't see anything other than a tongue sticking out.

I want to like this so bad. But that lip.

There is some post-processing done on that photo. It looks too smooth and weird.

I will wait for it to get in hand - I am not worried.

I'm a bit relieved, but it's weird when the product promo photos make the figure look worse than it actually is. Wouldn't their promo team know this? It's almost like JC Hong HAS to post to his instagram to show an actual good look at the headsculpt.

This is another good comparison.

View attachment 449468

Wow, this is night and day to me. BUT, I know the "panic" of the early pics, so I'll hold true judgement until there's in-hand photos and video reviews up. I was really looking forward to this one. We should seriously get a fundraiser together for Hot Toys so we can send them some light-colored paints! The hair and beard are way too dark. Even the proto was too dark, but looked better. I mean does Hot Toys really not see that Obi-Wan's hair was at least 2-3+ shades lighter? They do this on every figures hair, always too dark. Why???

It's not even softening of the sculpt, that hair and beard has zero definition in it, looks like a mound of one piece lego hair.

In my experience dealing with HT is the sculpts are designed that when we need to mod or customize the paint jobs , it’s not too difficult to get the HS looking more film or character accurate.

The issue is for the amount of money we pay for their product, there shouldn’t be any need to mod these :lecture

I just looked again, yikes!!! Why do we always get the shaft on Star Wars sculpts? Palpatine (smiling, creepy grandpa), Jedi luke (mediocre), obi wan (fat lip). That lip has to be fixed.

Some film snips...

KENOBI-ROTS-01.JPG

KENOBI-ROTS-02.JPG

KENOBI-ROTS-03.JPG

I think it's safe to say that one of the things drawing such attention to that lip on the figure is the thickness and dark color of the beard and stache. That and the hair is too DARK. The lack of sculpted definition on the facial hair doesn't help here. Ewan's beard was always a little on the wispy side, not the lush mound of hair that the figure is sporting.

C'mon gang...let's get some new photos and videos in here.... :)

Im not panicked, and im still really excited for the figure... but to echo a lot of sentiments, the lip definitely looks odd. Had they made the part directly under the lip flat it wouldn't have been an issue at all. But by giving it a slight bump (maybe just based on angle and lighting in the photos) it honestly does look a lot like a lip, and his actual lip slightly looks like a tongue. Weird choice they went with, but on some of the photos is looks perfectly fine. On the fb page, there is a universal cry-fest with "worst figure ever", "im cancelling this tomorrow", etc...but i get the feeling that once in hand this will look fine or a simple paint adjustment near the mouth can fix things.

Shouldn’t have to repaint a $280 figure. I can’t wait for real in hand pics and videos.

Back