Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the video review that DarkChocobi posted, it kinda looks like HT made the shirt and pants into a one-piece. My guess is that there's yet another unnecessary layer of padding over this Luke body (as with HT Farmboy and Bespin versions). So, the one-piece suit is bigger/bulkier than it needs to be in order to fit over the torso padding, and can't be simply tucked tighter if it is indeed a one-piece outfit.

I just don't understand the repeated use of padding for Luke. It makes sense for FA/TLJ Luke, but did '83 Hamill (as seen below) look like his figure would ever need to be made bulkier? Strange choice, IMO.

Exactly. Look at this pic. Looks like he's walking confidently from the sofa to the fridge in his "onesy" black lounge outfit. I definitely won't be displaying him like this.
Probably will mean water treatment to shrink it a bit ??

32584776_10155488515772344_8514264174551891968_o.jpg

Water treatment won't be enough. You'll nee to get rid of the fat suit as well in order to achieve the desired result

Ok so a couple issues I see after watching the unboxing video.

1. The belt is Velcro and overlaps in the back. Not screen accurate at all. I guess they did it to accommodate the extra bulk when wearing the vest but could’ve been done with an extra belt notch.

2. The copper part of the light up saber is fatter just before the emitter just like the FX sabers so not screen accurate either. The hilt by itself that does not light up looks fine but it’s still not as good as the sideshow original saber when it comes to accuracy. Guess I’ll have to finally buy a cold cathode.
6b759e7f802dc60b5e296f92d93eefac.jpg

c5a441f9573d9a1fc9eb4f01e4e6517d.jpg

These are SS sabers. So glad I kept mine.
e991bfcd4feb321c2c73e396720a2121.jpg

Ok so a couple issues I see after watching the unboxing video.

1. The belt is Velcro and overlaps in the back. Not screen accurate at all. I guess they did it to accommodate the extra bulk when wearing the vest but could’ve been done with an extra belt notch.

2. The copper part of the light up saber is fatter just before the emitter just like the FX sabers so not screen accurate either. The hilt by itself that does not light up looks fine but it’s still not as good as the sideshow original saber when it comes to accuracy. Guess I’ll have to finally buy a cold cathode.
6b759e7f802dc60b5e296f92d93eefac.jpg

c5a441f9573d9a1fc9eb4f01e4e6517d.jpg

These are SS sabers. So glad I kept mine.
e991bfcd4feb321c2c73e396720a2121.jpg

Potato..patatoe :wink1:

Which belt is Velcro? Cloth or utility

God please no..hope there is no fat suit like Cap WS ..damn you HT :gah:

Looks like they gave him the Han Solo creased boots but at least it’s not that bad but I guess this is the only way to bring the ankle articulation so I can live with this

Looks like there may be a run on Medicom Jedi Luke as well for that relaxed gloved hand. It’s a little small but much better proportioned than sideshows banana hand.
05a853e7fb9684a2b1298aaf39602db1.jpg

17be892f1785fb0ad5b90a0b67d10138.jpg

ce0d821e54d1313d83d7f911430e370b.jpg

5afddd292fd98a905f50b8315d92e052.jpg

The lack of black gloves is a bummer... should easily have like 4 or 5 in a set. But, there are quite a few gloved hands around so I'm sure I can find some suitable extras to mix up the display options.

That does look pretty terrible... but I'll never pose in a way to see it. At least its user-friendly. They should get their electronics to work as easily.

They're electronics are the worst :lol They work, which is good... but I feel like I'm trying to diffuse a bomb every time I switch batteries :lol

Looks like there may be a run on Medicom Jedi Luke as well for that relaxed gloved hand. It’s a little small but much better proportioned than sideshows banana hand.
05a853e7fb9684a2b1298aaf39602db1.jpg

17be892f1785fb0ad5b90a0b67d10138.jpg

ce0d821e54d1313d83d7f911430e370b.jpg

5afddd292fd98a905f50b8315d92e052.jpg

I still have my Medicom Jedi Luke parts but the original body I dismantled and the clothing and used to make customs

Looks pretty good, I'd have to say. Nothing lost, nothing gained, as it looks pretty much like the promo to me. Perhaps even a little better than the promo at some angles, actually. Something about the hair actually looks a bit better to me as well; not sure what HT did to it, if anything.

My only gripe seems to be the lack of gloved hands. Surprised HT didn't include at the very least, a saber holding, non-LED hand. Not a big issue though, as you can just paint one of his regular hands black, or I presume you could just use a grasping black gloved hand from another figure (Darth Vader, TDK Batman...something).

Still haven't decided if I want to go the tunic route from Jabba's sail barge, or the DS look route as far as displaying him. I like the DS diorama base, but I like the tunic look as well. Maybe I'll pose Luke with the tunic and then just use the DS diorama base for The Emperor.

I was looking forward to this figure, but after the issues mentioned and especially that face sculpt, Im really disappointed... All I see is Jon Cryer, when I look at this figure's face. Someone else mentioned Jon Bon Jovi-- the song "Good Guys Dont Always Wear White" came to my mind when looking at this figure.

For those of you that are happy with this figure, Im happy for you and I hope that you enjoy your purchase.

Are the old SS figures hands compatible with HT figures? Looking at pics, he came with one black gloved hand that could hold his lightsaber.

I still have the original SS Exclusive Jedi Luke from way back. Po'd it and have had it since it's release but never opened it. Quite a few older SS SW figures I never opened. Including both versions of Anakin too.

It’s a bit on the big side compared to any hands but it could work.

The other issue I see is the boots look to have the same issue as the ANH Han boots. Caves in in the back.
39db543d1649d5648322f2b3fd202f8f.jpg

Back