Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They may have a comfortable budget, even at $150 millions, they are working with half the funds an actual movie production is granted.

I don't understand how budget can be an issue for the face tech cgi when some deepfake crew can fix it up without a bankroll for YouTube.
Just hire the right team for the job.

I read somewhere those face techs become tricky to get right when 4K and higher resolutions are involved. At least, it was one of the reason given when asked why deepfake wasn't an option.

Well it's Mando so yes, but it has a head sculpt so no, but they can reuse the old one so yes, but he was hardly in it so no, but he could come with a Grogu so yes.

Personally I'd go with a higher than retail one of these than the SS.

Well it's Mando so yes, but it has a head sculpt so no, but they can reuse the old one so yes, but he was hardly in it so no, but he could come with a Grogu so yes.

Personally I'd go with a higher than retail one of these than the SS.

Apparently the outfit on the Sideshow one is better than Hot toys....and I intend keeping hood up. Hard call.

I don't understand how budget can be an issue for the face tech cgi when some deepfake crew can fix it up without a bankroll for YouTube.
Just hire the right team for the job.

They may have ran out of time due to COVID conditions, so they just went "good enough" and put it out. It has to be approved by the people in charge, not entirely the fault of the VFX team.

It's not even that bad imo.

They may have ran out of time due to COVID conditions, so they just went "good enough" and put it out. It has to be approved by the people in charge, not entirely the fault of the VFX team.

It's not even that bad imo.

It's not bad at all, I was only questioning others in terms of funds being the reason for lack of realism.
The Mando Luke is a better likeness than the Hot Toys sculpt of MH.

I view deep fakes as cheating, and I imagine VFX people do as well

If you're just mapping photographs of one person onto someone else, that's just like copying someone else's homework and turning it in as your own. You're taking someone else's photographs that you don't own and creating derivative work from them. That's frowned upon from the artistic perspective.

When it comes to VFX, it's use whatever gets the job done. I'm sure VFX houses would love to brag how every frame was brute forced and pixel F'd to get the exact result they wanted, but there are deadlines and budgets and those take top priority over pipeline. At the end of the day deep fakes are a tool and for now it's a tool that needs more work on it before it's ready for full blown production. I'm sure mocap was thought of as cheating when that first came out.

I view deep fakes as cheating, and I imagine VFX people do as well

If you're just mapping photographs of one person onto someone else, that's just like copying someone else's homework and turning it in as your own. You're taking someone else's photographs that you don't own and creating derivative work from them. That's frowned upon from the artistic perspective.

Who cares if it works better, is cheaper and faster ?

a11034eb1ccea941b67337ffe65789df.jpg

When you fail as a collector and thinking you just get a black series grogu to go with your Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently it's all about the Hallmark ornament or something. Just keep your eye on eBay and ToyAnxiety for when the new Mando figure gets parted out. The deluxe comes with two Grogus so people should have chances to scoop one up.

Had Jedi Luke in storage for a couple years. Finally it is time to bring him out.

Attachments

• Luke_Skywalker_Jedi.jpg
    Luke_Skywalker_Jedi.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
The price is getting ridiculous because of the cameo, I hope HT makes a Mandalorian one with a longer and screen accurate cape. :rotfl

I had every opportunity to get this and the deluxe version when they were retail but passed on both. Really regretting it now.:slap

Back