Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Grogu.
55828ecdd339d88c380a527044bdcf89.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I just watched the end of Rogue One this morning and I think Leia is waaaay better than the Luke on Mando.

Both were equally bad in my opinion. The basic likeness on Leia was just way off (as is made clear by the deep fake), and Luke looked like a strange hybrid between Hamill and some random actor. When you see how much better Marvel has done with de-aging their actors, it just makes it even more frustrating to see Lucasfilm still struggling so much with it.

Both were equally bad in my opinion. The basic likeness on Leia was just way off (as is made clear by the deep fake), and Luke looked like a strange hybrid between Hamill and some random actor. When you see how much better Marvel has done with de-aging their actors, it just makes it even more frustrating to see Lucasfilm still struggling so much with it.

Yeah, that's my take too. We've seen it done really well for Marvel and then we get Leia and this Luke. It's amazing when it works but kinda creepy and distracting when it doesn't.

It was surely a budget issue. The Mandalorian is probably on a TV-sized budget.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I thought Luke looked great. It wasn't perfect but CG is never going to be as good as an actor's actual face.

I thought Luke looked fine considering he obviously put on some weight (muscle?) since ROTJ. It’s pretty obvious and he’s aged five years so it makes sense. That’s my rationalization.

Yeah, that's my take too. We've seen it done really well for Marvel and then we get Leia and this Luke. It's amazing when it works but kinda creepy and distracting when it doesn't.

This is what I kept thinking. And no, I do not think ILM have done many (if any) of the Marvel de-aging. Lola Effects did Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel and Kurt Russell in Guardians 2, that while still have a bit of that creep factor are both better examples than most of the Star Wars work.

I thought Luke looked great. It wasn't perfect but CG is never going to be as good as an actor's actual face.

I agree. It wasn?t perfect, but it more than served it?s purpose. Unfortunately as hard core Star Wars fans we seem to be hard wired for some reason, in dissecting every frame of footage that?s put in front of us. I gave up this habit after the abortion of the ST.

Although I understand it isn't the same process, I have yet to see them top the over-all "Skinny Steve Rogers" from the original Captain America, in terms of looking so real, on screen.

So are we going to see more of this Luke going forward now or what?

I haven?t heard anything concrete but there are several rumors floating around from within the Lucasfilm camp from Youtubers that they want Sebastian Stan as a full time Luke on screen instead of having to use CG all the time.

It could be wishful fan speculation or it could have some truth to it. We most likely won?t know until they make an official announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I doubt it. Face replacement would be too expensive and if they were going to recast, they would have done it on Mando to establish the new look for the show. I hope REALLY hope I'm wrong though.

It was surely a budget issue. The Mandalorian is probably on a TV-sized budget.

The Mandalorian has a large budget. Bob Iger said season 1 was about $100 million. I think it’s safe to say the budget for season 2 was probably bigger.

Disney has no qualms about plunking down a lot of money for these cinematic Disney+ shows. Some of the MCU shows can cost up to about $25 million per episode, partly due to the larger ensemble casts involved.

Back