Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I simply cannot fathom that anyone - especially old SW fans - would not be over the moon in excitement with the fact that THE Mark Hamill returned as Luke like this... what did it matter that his face might be a tad off!? ...what in the hell does it take for people to get excited these days!!!!?? ...my god this kind of reaction is boring AF ...just sayin.

Couldn?t agree more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad people got their wish fulfilment Luke hallway scene. I'm contempt with both this and TLJ Luke.

Freudian slip or purely accidental?:rotfl

Having MH play Luke in this scene doesn?t mean that we won?t see Luke played by another actor - in another series or movie - later on. Not at all. But we?ll see... What I don?t get is how anyone can have their focus on nit picking negatives at this moment in time. I just don?t get the lack of excitement.

To be clear, it isn't MH playing Luke in the scene. This was done like RO Tarkin/Leia - another actor (from the Planet of the Apes movies in this case) with a CGI head, not done, for example, the way they did "The Irishman" de-ageing with DeNiro where DeNiro himself played the scene and they then altered his face and tweaked his physique.

Had they done that with Hamill it would have made this all the more special, but my guess is that type of CGI is more complex and expensive and Mando is always seeming to take the lower-budget route whenever they can.

I get it's a very physical scene but Hamill always appears in pretty great physical shape these days, even if he probably would have had to train a little and lose a bit of weight.

I do understand your sentiment. This show has already been overly fan-servicey enough, so throwing in Luke as well (with some "badass hallway scene" straight out of a videogame) definitely starts to veer towards overkill a bit.

But at the same time, once they introduced Baby Yoda with his Force powers, it seemed inevitable that it would eventually lead towards an appearance by Luke, since he's about the only Jedi left in the galaxy. So I can kind of forgive it here. And I don't really see the Skywalkers factoring in that heavily in future seasons.

Yeah, Mando runs that fine line between "the only great new SW is the stuff that sticks closely to the OT timeline/storyworld" and shameless fan service. I mean who would have thought last year that Mando would end with baby Yoda (already a very fan-servicey creation) in ROTJ Luke Skywalker's hands and Boba Fett literally sitting on Jabba's throne?:dunno

I thought we were heading into original story even if we had Jawas, Dewbacks etc along the way. While part of me loves it for sure, I do feel like the show may have jumped the shark with Luke and Boba (like do we care as much about Manod himself when the "OG Mando" Boba is back?) but who knows.

The show takes place during a timeline where Luke is present. This show won?t focus on Luke Skywalker. For all we know, this might be the last of Grogu. The show ends with Djin seeing his promise through and now apparently ruler of Mandalor. Many story possibilities still in the air.

To be clear, it isn't MH playing Luke in the scene. This was done like RO Tarkin/Leia - another actor (from the Planet of the Apes movies in this case) with a CGI head, not done, for example, the way they did "The Irishman" de-ageing with DeNiro where DeNiro himself played the scene and they then altered his face and tweaked his physique.

Had they done that with Hamill it would have made this all the more special, but my guess is that type of CGI is more complex and expensive and Mando is always seeming to take the lower-budget route whenever they can.

I get it's a very physical scene but Hamill always appears in pretty great physical shape these days, even if he probably would have had to train a little and lose a bit of weight.

Yeah, Mando runs that fine line between "the only great new SW is the stuff that sticks closely to the OT timeline/storyworld" and shameless fan service. I mean who would have thought last year that Mando would end with baby Yoda (already a very fan-servicey creation) in ROTJ Luke Skywalker's hands and Boba Fett literally sitting on Jabba's throne?:dunno

I thought we were heading into original story even if we had Jawas, Dewbacks etc along the way. While part of me loves it for sure, I do feel like the show may have jumped the shark with Luke and Boba (like do we care as much about Manod himself when the "OG Mando" Boba is back?) but who knows.

Yeah, I thought it jumped the shark with the first Boba fight scene. Enjoyable, but I also got a Power Rangers vibe because of the barren locale.

If anything, it seems like they decided to make season 2 a vehicle for other characters' spin-offs. Seems like they used the popularity to their advantage in a way that was a disservice to the character itself. :dunno

Shame they couldn't use Hamill for the actual scene where he was just standing there, would have improved the awkward CGI I'm sure.

I agree completely. Two halves of my brain constantly fight each other when I watch this series. Is it great or is it just not awful? I'm genuinely happy to see both Boba and Luke have new moments in the sun, but at the same time, the show is dangerously close to wank service fan fiction.

I can only hope, that with Boba and Luke now having exited his show, The Mandalorian can go on and make himself into a character that stands on his own two feet. After what, 14 or so hours of show, we still know next to nothing about the character.

I also hope that Boba having his own series means we'll finally get the dirty scumbag and alien underworld side of StarWars without the Jedi/Empire/Skywalker saga in the way.

They managed to wrap up "The Child" storyline in just two seasons and in a powerful and satisfying way. There is plenty of time to move forward with non-Jedi / non-Empire stories but the "Baby Yoda" story got the ending that it deserved. But with the reveal of the name of Admiral Thrawn, the Empire won't be going away and personally, I think that's a good thing.

Honestly the Child has become such an intrinsic part of the show that I've been assuming they would somehow end up reunited again in the third season. But I think you're right that the storyline does feel wrapped up now, and the writers already did everything they could have done with it. So hopefully this will be a chance for them to take the character in a completely new direction.

The Grogu/Mando story definitely feels wrapped up. The biggest problem is that they wrote themselves into a corner with Grogu being 50 years old and barely a toddler. They can't do a 5-10 year time jump and have any significant development of the Grogu character because of how the species ages. 5-10 years of his life would be like 2-4 weeks of a human toddler. Sure, he will have developed, but there won't be a significant change from the last time you saw him.

The Grogu/Mando story definitely feels wrapped up. The biggest problem is that they wrote themselves into a corner with Grogu being 50 years old and barely a toddler. They can't do a 5-10 year time jump and have any significant development of the Grogu character because of how the species ages. 5-10 years of his life would be like 2-4 weeks of a human toddler. Sure, he will have developed, but there won't be a significant change from the last time you saw him.

I joked to my wife this morning when i was taking her to work:

"100 years later. We see Grogu. Wearing Mandalorian Armour, and fighting off baddies with the darksaber. And he's seven feet tall."

I said to my wife: "Who knew that Yoda was actually very short for his species?"
If we come back to Grogu during Din's lifetime, like you say, there won't be much development. Especially if they have reckoned on the 900 year lifespan as having relative development to a human of 90 years.
I also think there are plenty places for Din to go(Story wise), without Grogu. Even though i'm sad we won't see him every episode, lol. I cried three times during that episode. When i thought Gideon might hurt him, when Luke showed up, and when he removed the helmet. Dammit, Filoni/Favreau... They know exactly how to make you feel. I bet there are many filmmakers who wish they could capture that in a bottle.

"Star Wars Time" is one the major nitpicks that I had about the PT. Only 30 years had elapsed between the PT and ST, but it felt like the aesthetics and design of the ships and technology were so different and clean from the OT. For a civilization that advanced, technology wouldn't be that different in a 30 year time span. Sure, the galactic civil war would have some effect on that, but it still felt like we went from 1980's to 1950's automobiles. I blame this on Lucas wanting to "American Graffiti" the prequels.

As disappointing as the ST was, at least I felt that aesthetically it still fit with the OT. Probably the nicest complement I can pay to the ST.

It?s not yet known which exact method they used and what role MH had in it. It?s clear though that there was a body double. But MH is listed in the credits. So that is good enough for me to be ?over the moon excited? about his appearance. Doesn?t really matter how they did it. He was there [emoji1745]

I thought that last 20 minutes was perfect (aside from the deep fake tech thats clearly not quite there yet). The music build up, the slow build up reveal, just giving you enough with that figure walking down the hall..

I've pictured something like that for near on 3 decades and teared up seeing it all come together as it did. Can finally put the lid on the sequels now. Filloni and Co seem to get it.

I read that they're definitely going to do things with Luke in the future but that won't impact on Mando, much as Boba didn't, he just complimented it well.

Bit disgruntled that I've definitely got to get the 40th Anniversary Boba now!

It?s not yet known which exact method they used and what role MH had in it. It?s clear though that there was a body double. But MH is listed in the credits. So that is good enough for me to be ?over the moon excited? about his appearance. Doesn?t really matter how they did it. He was there [emoji1745]

This below was one of the articles I saw (Total Film/GamesRadar)- maybe they haven't confirmed it.:dunno Though they used ROTJ footage of him to base the CGI on, it sounds more like MH was really just voiceover (which they also digitally altered to make him sound younger) like his Joker work.

But the fact they used MH's voice - albeit digitally altered - versus a recreation is cool in and of itself.

5gi2Cda.png

This below was one of the articles I saw (Total Film/GamesRadar)- maybe they haven't confirmed it.:dunno Though they used ROTJ footage of him to base the CGI on, it sounds more like MH was really just voiceover (which they also digitally altered to make him sound younger) like his Joker work.

But the fact they used MH's voice - albeit digitally altered - versus a recreation is cool in and of itself.

5gi2Cda.png

To me the main thing is that he was involved. How is not that important. But according to Hollywood Reporter it isn?t known how they did it:
www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/behin...an-brought-that-iconic-character-back-to-life

Having just watched it again on my phone, I take back what I said about the children, it looks phenominal. It's literally Mark Hamill as Luke as he's mastered his abilities. Not sure how or why anyone would like to take it apart.

They finally get what Luke means to the fans. That was absolute proof of it.

:lecture :exactly: :goodpost:

KK must have screamed in ecstacy when the "Girl Power" group fought their way into the cruiser's bridge. She then cried in horror as Luke kicked ass and saved the gang.

Careful your fragile masculinity is showing.

People just cannot accept KK is a fantastic producer, with a huge string of hits under her belt.

All because of one film series essentially.

She is responsible for the return of Luke just as much as the female led raid.

Maybe time to not let other peoples opinions bother you so much and don't try and tell them what they can and can't enjoy :dunno.

To me it seems as if Disney can't bear the thought of making something that doesn't have some link to Skywalkers or has a lightsaber ignite, they even had to shove one into Solo of all things. I love Star Wars, and I love this show but I really thought it was going to be something new, it started as a space western and quickly devolved into yet another Jedi/force weilder filick in an age where the Jedi are all but wiped out.

Star Wars doesn't have to revolve around one ****ing family forever.

Disney cannot bear it? You mean certain fans cannot bear it.

Back