Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone ever modded the HT shirt thickness? I always felt like the front 'pad' is too thick to accommodate the white/black flip gimmick.

Terrific work my friend.
Thanks.:wave

It's weird.

I never find much wrong with Hot Toys figures, but then someone does mods to it, and I'm like "Hmm, I guess it wasn't that great" :lol

I started viewing most figures I buy as a template that I can improve upon - some more minor, some rather major like this. It keeps the hobby fresh for me without having to buy many figures. And creating and owning something truly unique is part of the fun as well of course.

Looks great, really nice improvements. I like that the "before" photo is still a decent picture, so often you see people show one of the worst iphone photos as their before and then a high-quality DSLR shot for the after. :lol

Thanks, and I agree, I hate that too.:lecture I actually posted that 'before' shot as my 'after' shot a few pages back, before deciding to (attempt to) take it to the next level. :lol In hindsight, it wasn't the best futzing, but the original shirt does limit you quite a bit.

34ba7bca9f2e35fe612a4a2b36c26801.jpg

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agonites, I seem to have lost your address. Can you send it again so I can ship my Luke out to have him upgraded. Really appreciate that you offered your services so we can all have a perfect ROTJ Luke like you. :yess

agonites, I seem to have lost your address. Can you send it again so I can ship my Luke out to have him upgraded. Really appreciate that you offered your services so we can all have a perfect ROTJ Luke like you. :yess

:lol
I'm happy to give pointers if people want to try this themselves. I'm a self taught amateur and use a regular needle and thread. Patience and planning are most important I would say.
My motivation to work on figures comes and goes, so commissions are not something I do unfortunately.

Riding this Star Wars high, I've actually immediately moved on to my next project, retailoring the suit of my custom ROTJ Vader. I upgraded him to the SSC V2 ROTJ Vader suit a few years ago, but it's massively oversized. While the robe and cloak were hiding most of it, this project gave me the confidence to tackle him. I also upgraded the body to a HT, and I'm revamping the cloth gloves while I'm at it.

Recently I have sell my Black Widow figure and I have bought this Luke figure. I don't feel that he looks "fat"... I LOVE this figure and now, my Episode IV Luke looks poor beside this one...

web IMG_5383.jpg

web IMG_5352.jpg

web IMG_5337.jpg

Great poses! Crazy how much this one goes for now b/c of the cloak and maybe head looking forward. I saw an accessory part out including the cloak and some other parts go for almost $200 on ebay a couple weeks ago. You could've bought the entire figure a year ago for around that.

Great poses! Crazy how much this one goes for now b/c of the cloak and maybe head looking forward. I saw an accessory part out including the cloak and some other parts go for almost $200 on ebay a couple weeks ago. You could've bought the entire figure a year ago for around that.

Toy Anxiety parted it out last week, and the cloak was there for $20.00. Must have been up for almost a day before someone bought it, I was shocked.

The cloak stains the head, so hopefully those parts ship separately and are displayed separately.:lol

And frankly, I've kept the purplish HT cloak in the box - the old Sideshow cloak to me is better.

But yeah, I think the look on these figs varies quite a bit - my Luke's proportions and shirt cut/sew have never bugged me in terms of the fit or him looking fat. The torso could be a tad thinner overall but it's really not really noticeable.

I held on to the key parts including head sculpt for this figure. I thought I was fine with the side-eyed deluxe sculpt but after a while I did experience some of the limitations when reposing. Paint apps are a bit better on the deluxe and the side-eyed sculpt has a bit more intensity but sometimes it is nicer to just have the straight-on looking sculpt.

I really wasn't expecting much from that sideways eyes/windswept hair head but once it was in the ROTJ barge promo pic pose I really loved it - I still love that pose, possibly my favorite for all the HT Luke Jedi variations of pose/look, but I can see how that sideways glance might get a bit old on display.

The sideways glance is visually interesting and a bit dramatic but after a while it just looks too specific or extreme for a "museum pose" display.

I may eventually swap it onto my Luke Bespin that uses the HT Jedi Luke sculpt to have him in the "peering around the corner at Fett" pose - use that sideways glance to scene specific effect.

...the cloak looks purple because I have retouched the pic with Photoshop and maybe it turns to... purple... but I see it brown.

By the way, I would like to find and buy the windswept hair... but I imagine that it's impossible, isn't it? Thanks.

...the cloak looks purple because I have retouched the pic with Photoshop and maybe it turns to... purple... but I see it brown.

By the way, I would like to find and buy the windswept hair... but I imagine that it's impossible, isn't it? Thanks.

The sideways look sold out pretty quickly. The one that's cheaper and easier to get is the toothy head.

The hair itself is hard to come by. Most eBay sellers put the hair with one of the two deluxe heads.

Back