Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching Jedi the other night and one thing I noticed is, I feel that Hot Toys really captured Hamill's likeness with this figure, but there's an aged quality to some of his features, his eyes, around his mouth, that I think HT elected to polish up, which is common for them, particularly on older portraits, like their Expendables Stallone sculpts, they cleaned up a lot of his age, even their Pirates 5 Jack Sparrow looks more like a mix of how Depp actually looked and his younger appearance. I think this choice ends up giving the positives of this sculpt a bit of a bad wrap as not being a good likeness, I think it's a great likeness just almost as if Luke at his age in A New Hope had the post accident features of Jedi.

I totally agree.
It's bizarre. When you see a pic of Hamill from ROTJ, this head can, at times, look *nothing like him*, but at the same time, perfectly capture Luke's likeness.
I cannot explain it myself.
Sometimes, in camera it seems different from what the eye sees and, other times, only an image captures that likeness.
Like most HT sculpts, there is some magic that has be distilled from initial sculpt, various paint apps, and posing the eventual figure, that perfectly looks just like the intended character.

I can agree with that. It’s as if they are able to capture the essence of the character even if the likeness or exactness isn’t there.

I think you can say that about the Sideshow effort as well to some degree. It may be a caricature of the actor but the essence is there. Some could argue the strength or weakness of the likeness but you can still see it underlying what’s actually there.

I liken it to the Kenner figures of old and how unlike the actors the sculpts were but when you place the figure next to the picture of that character on the cardback it tricks your mind into seeing what’s not there.

Quite a brilliant marketing scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree about Sideshow's, they have some of the more "aged" qualities, but at the same time, there's something almost cartoony about it. Neither one gets everything 100% and Hot Toys gets the edge with most fans I think because it has the more realistic look. I think most collectors overlook inaccuracies with an overall real look, but when you're off and cartoonish, they become less accepting.

055e726ee1790b9d424edc1a5af0de6a.jpg

Looking good. Love the gloved hand feature. Brings more character to a pose than if it was just him in an action pose holding a blaster imo.

I agree about Sideshow's, they have some of the more "aged" qualities, but at the same time, there's something almost cartoony about it. Neither one gets everything 100% and Hot Toys gets the edge with most fans I think because it has the more realistic look. I think most collectors overlook inaccuracies with an overall real look, but when you're off and cartoonish, they become less accepting.

The SSC ROTJ Luke head is off, but do you guys really think it is cartoony?
m.

The SSC ROTJ Luke head is off, but do you guys really think it is cartoony?
m.

I def think it looks cartoony. The whole SS figure was a waste to me, but when looking for details, the main reason I disliked it so much was the almost Japan-type anime look I felt the head sculpt got. It was just off in every possible way (in my opinion). I wanted to like the SS. I tried to. But in the end just couldn't get there.

Looking good. Love the gloved hand feature. Brings more character to a pose than if it was just him in an action pose holding a blaster imo.

Yeah, it's a really nice touch. I think it can be easily replicated even if you don't have the exclusive. I know a couple members did here. I'm using HT ANH hands here actually, and ToyAnxiety sells loose black gloves that would probably looks somewhat close.

That looks good! I was curious as to when someone would finally do that.

:duff I had taken a photo a while back out of curiosity but your posts got me thinking about it a bit more seriously. This sculpt has the most Luke in it and even the open mouth (maybe without the bottom teeth showing) is an ANH look for sure.

Looks great- can you photograph with the helmet off?

Posted some more shots in the X-Wing thread, including with helmet off, to not clog this one up too much.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146706&page=442

Back