Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sculpt definitely looks better on a figure to give it context. I'd seen raw sculpt pics before and it didn't look bad, but it seemed strange, as part of a full figure, it looks perfect for capturing the look it strives for.
I agree. I always wanted the wind swept hair look for Jedi Luke. Was hoping HT would have delivered, but they dropped the ball.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I went with Turd's idea to use the SSC Luke Hoth head for a "hidden inside the hood" Palace Luke Jedi alternate (I have my complete fig in DS duel mode.)

This is the Luke Hoth head (with trims) with the HT Luke Jedi hairpiece and Sideshow hood/cloak. I'll be displaying it with hood up, so it'll be partially hidden.

The HT hair elevates it a bit and I think this hair suits the head a bit better than the SSC ESB hair it comes with. Nice to find an okay use for this dud head.:lol It's been sitting in a box for years.

amey7t9.jpg

32920667338_bba8f0cb1f_o.png

That looks quite nice, more than anything, he looks like he's smiling though. To me this shows the actually ROTJ Luke from Sideshow looks less like Hammil, this looks closer to him than that one.

The hair makes that head look a lot better. He still has a bit of a missing link cave man look to him though.
d627c2f25a7b26d9c92cf6c0a2653d5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got this Luke in today after buying from one of the site's great sellers. Any video link to the fat suit removal? I would like to see it in motion rather than just read instructions on how to do it, as I am new to modifying 1/6th scales. My Batman AK, Negan, SS Punisher have all been displayed out of the box. AndI just got in this Luke, ESB Vader, Boba Fett, and 212th Clone Trooper.

I'm nervous about screwing something up.

I finally got chance to remove the fat suit from my Luke ( thanks for all the helpful advice and video ) with the whole thing removed though I still think he looks to big, especially the big square chest he has. Has anyone tried a different body? I’m tempted to get a cheap ‘narrow shoulder’ body from eBay. Then I’ll have to see if I can get the light up arm to fit it somehow.

That is a thing of beauty Steve. Luke is my all time favorite character in Star Wars.
45ee1ad5a6c7f60d0ff1523e53cb043e.jpg

1372c3a75882da451e9855f305228ca4.jpg

09e67b6546c998bc1e4c98c888dfec8e.jpg

Patiently waiting for the deluxe Endor to arrive so I can place him next to my biker scout.

I cant wait to have my Last Jedi Luke meet his younger self

I finally got chance to remove the fat suit from my Luke ( thanks for all the helpful advice and video ) with the whole thing removed though I still think he looks to big, especially the big square chest he has. Has anyone tried a different body? I’m tempted to get a cheap ‘narrow shoulder’ body from eBay. Then I’ll have to see if I can get the light up arm to fit it somehow.

The Hot Toys Slim is the body they used for Luke and it is the smallest and shortest body they have. If you use a narrow HT body the chest will look bigger, he will be too tall for Luke, and the shoulders wider. The only way I see making the chest smaller is to tailor the shirt like Username did. He has pics a few pages back and it looks fantastic.

Any Hot Toys body with a double jointed elbow will accommodate the light up arm if you still want to go that route.

The Hot Toys Slim is the body they used for Luke and it is the smallest and shortest body they have. If you use a narrow HT body the chest will look bigger, he will be too tall for Luke, and the shoulders wider. The only way I see making the chest smaller is to tailor the shirt like Username did. He has pics a few pages back and it looks fantastic.

Any Hot Toys body with a double jointed elbow will accommodate the light up arm if you still want to go that route.

Thanks for your info. Is it the same body as ANH Luke then? My ANH Luke doesn’t look that big? I was actually thinking of one of the cheap bodies from eBay, I did a 2nd joker custom using one. I think I will try the outfit on that body when I get chance and see how it goes, I’ll post some pics when I get around to it.

Thanks for your info. Is it the same body as ANH Luke then? My ANH Luke doesn’t look that big? I was actually thinking of one of the cheap bodies from eBay, I did a 2nd joker custom using one. I think I will try the outfit on that body when I get chance and see how it goes, I’ll post some pics when I get around to it.

I used this body for Luke: https://www.monkeydepot.com/Figure_DamToys_Muscle_Body_w_Neck_Post_p/dml1026.htm
It may *seem* large, but it had narrow shoulders and waist.
That model of DAM body is based on the hot toys skinny body HT uses for luke and the only difference(Besides the seamless neck), are the thick thighs. I ground those down a bit with a dremel to make them slimmer, then bound them in a layer of electrical tape(The surface was a bit rough).
The arms are nice and skinny, and all i did other than remove the neck and slim down the thighs(Neck is pvc and can be cut with a blade, see pics below), was to add a little bit of shoulder padding.
As JediJim mentioned above, i slightly retailored the inside seams of the tunic a bit, but otherwise, the costume is untouched. It's all the newer body.

Neck cut(But still in place):

5F023CF1-7B3F-4D1F-80BE-81BFB3B6D946.jpg

And removed. This is easy to do. Just pop that neck joint off:

CA4557F4-1C35-4FA1-B713-617371B08017.jpg

Notice how slender the body is. It works perfectly for Luke. If you still reckon it's too bulky, you can remove as much of the chest and ribs as you like. It's just a pvc piece on the plastic body itself:

8A53EB73-9BF4-43A7-B1A4-72704C979E0C.jpg

With the legs cut down a bit, and with shoulders built up a little:

907346D4-D48C-41DA-A191-A91E6C0F251B.jpg

And the final result with the retailored suit.

BBF9DE39-652D-46A7-A655-1C25D9E66EBB.jpg

F694D719-277C-46D3-ADDF-BD5840612374.jpg

67587477-CB48-461C-B988-AF1FAFD172B6.jpg

I used this body for Luke: https://www.monkeydepot.com/Figure_DamToys_Muscle_Body_w_Neck_Post_p/dml1026.htm
That model of DAM body is based on the hot toys skinny body HT uses for luke and the only difference(Besides the seamless neck), are the thick thighs. I ground those down a bit with a dremel to make them slimmer, then bound them in a layer of electrical tape(The surface was a bit rough).
The arms are nice and skinny, and all i did other than remove the neck and slim down the thighs(Neck is pvc and can be cut with a blade, see pics below), was to add a little bit of shoulder padding.
As JediJim mentioned above, i slightly retailored the inside seams of the tunic a bit, but otherwise, the costume is untouched. It's all the newer body.

Notice how slender the body is. It works perfectly for Luke. If you still reckon it's too bulky, you can remove as much of the chest and ribs as you like. It's just a pvc piece on the plastic body itself:

Hard to tell because the body is turned somewhat side-on in the pics. Is there a pic with the fig facing forward?

There must be variations in the fat suit fitting or sew/cut (it seems that way based on reactions here) - I've never had any issues with the look of my Luke since I got it.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that.
It’s funny cause when I saw the first pic the body looks massive but once the head is added you can tell it’s much slimmer.

Your luke looks awesome. I’ll post mine once I’m happy with him.

I wish Hot Toys would put a little more effort into these figures and make custom bodies, especially for character they're gonna revisit.

Username, that lightsaber blade, you made it yourself?
The boots are the original pair?

This Luke is looking almost spot-on, yet some nits might still be picked.
Comparing the picture above with unfutzed ROTJ Luke:

7d8a7ca74954dcde5ab17815d9552d1b-min.jpg

...and futzed ROTJ Luke:

d328e8b270cfd2edde1e60f07b6b5b2a.jpg

...these would be my nits:

1) Because the shirt is so big compared with the body, you have to build up the shoulders, as Username did. Hence, the "heroicly" wide shoulders on Username's picture. BUT THEN, the way the sleeves drape around the arms gives me a dollish vibe, like arms "having less meat than a cat's ****", or Luke wearing too big shoulder pads. On the b&w pic of Luke, his shoulders are narrower (impossible to achieve unless you heavily edit the shirt), but particularly, his arms are flexed and as a result his biceps bunch up a bit and fill the sleeves well, in a realistic fashion. On the other one, they do not, but the sleeves drape in such a way that you can tell there is not such a big empty space inside. It looks more human, less dollish. Maybe the body's biceps should be built up a bit, too? Then some water treatment maybe, to be able to "sculpt" the clothes and make them drape realistically around more substantial arms?

2) Again, Luke's waist is too "heroicly" thin, very athletic. I'd give him more belly, more love handles, (a lot) more ass, more package, and more thigs (they still look skinny in spite of Username's building them up). BUT you just can't augment the thigs when you have such skinny pants. These seem to be a pretty simple job right? Time to look for some wider (but not baggy) alternative? Any proposal anybody...? Medicom's? Maybe old Sideshow's? Has anybody tried to cut off the pants from the that jumpsuit? Or maybe we'll have to wait and compare with the new SSC ROTJ Luke...

3) The face is too big, the head is a too big, the neck is too long.
Again, compare with the 2 pics I provided. Try comparing proportions. You'll see what I mean for yourselves.
No solution for this one, but building up the rest of the body I am afraid (and I am not even sure of that).

RfC
m.

Hard to tell because the body is turned somewhat side-on in the pics. Is there a pic with the fig facing forward?

There must be variations in the fat suit fitting or sew/cut (it seems that way based on reactions here) - I've never had any issues with the look of my Luke since I got it.

I'll be honest, i don't see a problem with the stock Luke(Mine is still in the box, lol. I did all these mods on a DAM body, with a spare Luke head and costume).
If anyone here opens their Luke and likes it, that's perfect. But when TA parted Luke, i picked up some spare heads and two sets of his suit.
Just to see if i could make a custom one that was fractionally more to my liking. I'll not alter the main one i have. Oh, and as per your request, see front on images below.

That looks great. I might be tempted to do this myself. The body and mods seem pretty doable.

However what about the suit modifications ? What's involved there ?

On the front of his tunic(Under where it folds down), there are two stitches holding the Tunic on. Cut those, and the tunic comes off a a regular shirt. There are two seams running up from the belt to his armpits, one on either side. All i did was turn the tunic inside out and take that seam in a little. Just a needle and thread and a bit of patience(I reckon it took about twenty minutes). When it's done, the tunic will be a lot tighter to the body. It's still not 100% perfect. But it didn't take a lot of work(And i did it on a spare tunic anyway).

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that.
It’s funny cause when I saw the first pic the body looks massive but once the head is added you can tell it’s much slimmer.

Your luke looks awesome. I’ll post mine once I’m happy with him.

Thanks. That body looks huge, but it's quite slender.

65012C0F-9763-4781-AEC3-8B23FFD759DF.jpg

A810C541-D723-498C-B60C-C6EB8A8A5C70.jpg

1601ABF4-3361-4BD1-8437-20A2D5DD584B.jpg

EA1E5E23-EE28-4B64-BFB3-A4A6FA574BC4.jpg

A final pic of the UV lamp turned off.

78F33CBE-76AC-482A-AC45-B8261AA81044.jpg

Back