Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But seriously canceling this because of TLJ is kinda stupid. To me it's a trilogy and none of the sequels or prequels are cannon to me. Nothing beats the originals.

TLJ broke whatever spell Star Wars had on me for 40 years. I can’t even watch the original trilogy now without thinking of where the characters end up.

I need to call about canceling this one. :(
Just set up a mental block and ignore TLJ, that's what I did [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

No amount of bad sequels would stop me from getting this. Just waiting on final product shots before ordering.

Zappa! Took me ages to figure out Uncle Meat but it was worth it.

And yeah, I'm hovering over the order button as well but I'll most likely be getting it either way.

Why would you let that TLJ Force abominaton affects buying this Luke...come on its Jedi Luke!

I dont ever bother with those Sequels and consider none of them belong to SW universe

My connection with Star Wars was emotional - I loved the characters and the concepts. I can’t look at any of it the same anymore - it isn’t a rational thing, it’s emotional (though most of the issues in TLJ were a mixture of both).

I have a row of Star Wars Hot Toys in my Detolfs (+2 Sideshow) and they make me feel sad rather than joyful now. I’m hoping the anger and sadness will fade and I can pretend that TLJ didn’t happen and just appreciate the originals again. For now, though, I can’t see spending more on them - I’ll put the cash toward Infinity War figures instead. :)

Eh, it had pacing issues and some unnecessary filler but I found a lot to like about it. Just like the prequel trilogy, you have to glaze over the bad parts. Fortunately, I've found far fewer bad parts in this latest trilogy compared to the prequel trilogy.

My connection with Star Wars was emotional - I loved the characters and the concepts. I can’t look at any of it the same anymore - it isn’t a rational thing, it’s emotional (though most of the issues in TLJ were a mixture of both).

I have a row of Star Wars Hot Toys in my Detolfs (+2 Sideshow) and they make me feel sad rather than joyful now. I’m hoping the anger and sadness will fade and I can pretend that TLJ didn’t happen and just appreciate the originals again. For now, though, I can’t see spending more on them - I’ll put the cash toward Infinity War figures instead. :)

Sorry to hear that. I personally loved the heck out of the movie, but I do remember feeling similarly dispirited and depressed after both the prequels and Indy 4, both of which completely killed my interest in those franchises for quite a long while and made me think I'd never be able to enjoy the originals again.

But eventually I was able to get past it and enjoy them again, and I'm sure you will as well. So I wouldn't throw out all your SW figures just yet. :)

Eh, it had pacing issues and some unnecessary filler but I found a lot to like about it. Just like the prequel trilogy, you have to glaze over the bad parts. Fortunately, I've found far fewer bad parts in this latest trilogy compared to the prequel trilogy.

Same here...

Destroying your love of SW over a single film is a bit over the top dramatic.

You could always ignore them.

I might be the only person on this board that hopes this gets delayed ....

My bank account needs a rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen TLJ so fortunately, I can't unsee it. I may never see it.

I wish I was in your shoes. How can a movie be so good and so terrible at the same time?

As far as a sci-fi movie goes it has everything you would want. Good action, good acting, great special effects but at the same time it has these issues that you can’t get past. Leia surviving in space, pointless subplots, ridiculous situations that just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Luke’s parts were my favorite but they were also tainted by the story and his character flaws.

I’m torn in two on TLJ. It just doesn’t feel like a sequel to me. Just a really high budgeted fan film that was made by some studio executives that are not fans and have never seen a Star Wars movie but based it solely on what they heard Star Wars was about.

Same here...

Destroying your love of SW over a single film is a bit over the top dramatic.

You could always ignore them.

I might be the only person on this board that hopes this gets delayed ....

My bank account needs a rest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that these are emotional reactions, whether something is “over the top” is rather subjective, no?

For me the movie broke my suspension of disbelief. The concept of the force, light and dark side, etc. seem silly now. While I didn’t love the prequels, they didn’t diminish what I felt about the core concept - TLJ did.

If you can separate the movies from each other, good for you - sincerely. I cannot Luke Skywalker is a singular character on a narrative journey - he isn’t like James Bond or Dracula (I can enjoy the Sean Connery movies and hate the Roger Moore movies without having the originals diminished because it’s not one narrative in that case).

Luke is now a quitter who ran away, almost killed his nephew in his sleep, etc. as much as he is the farm boy who became a Jedi and redeemed his fallen father. (That’s just Luke - Force Skype, Ghost Lightning, Mary Poppins in Space, the lack of meaning for Light and Dark Side, etc. are the franchise killers for me.)

I spent literally tens of thousands of dollars on Star Wars because I was passionate about it from the time I saw it in 1977. The reaction to me seems proportionate.

If, on the other hand, TLJ were just a bad movie, I’d agree with you - the prequels weren’t good movies either and they didn’t have this effect. In this case, the issues are beyond technical - they are thematic and disrupt an emotional resonance that the concept had - the hero’s journey, the mono-myth, et al.

Obviously, YMMV and if you liked the movie or hated it and can ignore it, OF COURSE you won’t agree with those who had their suspension of disbelief for the universe and the characters fractured or broken.

They made Luke a flawed character. I don't see anything wrong with that. I commend them for it. I especially liked the scene of Luke standing over Kylo when showed from their different perspectives.

Back