Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change is difficult.

I've been on these boards since 2006, when I joined, this was a small community, where almost everyone knew everyone, there were pipe dream projects of figures people knew would never be touched (Medieval Kurgan), and the majority of members, like myself, grew up with Hasbro as our only source of Star Wars figures, and Star Wars being one of few properties to get a thorough representation in figure form.

Hot Toys were in their infancy, these were what Hot Toys was turning out at the time and to most of us, they were cutting edge.

220.jpg

16.jpg

I was beyond ecstatic when Jedi Luke was debuted by Sideshow, and I'm sure many other too, though I know a lot of collectors always disliked the stare in his eyes, I was fine with it. I thought, finally, figures that look like the movie, not crazy toys that bare no resemblance to the film like Kenner toys, not He-Man proportioned Luke figures like Hasbro, but figures that looked like the actors, had real costumes and all the accessories you could want.

6.jpg

So you have to understand, for those who've been around this site for as long as I, and even longer than myself, or collecting longer, it's been like a lifetime of dreaming of figures to the level of this Luke, to the point where something like this is beyond anything we could ever have imagined possible, so criticisms of small features that, while may be accurate and true, that seem small in the big picture of the overall figure, seem almost crazy and ungrateful in the eyes of those who never thought we'd see the likes of these figures.

On the flip side, there are new generations among the population here now that know nothing but the golden age of collectibles where seemingly anything you could want is either available through custom artists or licensed manufacturers and to a level like nothing we could have dreamt of 20 years ago, and in a world where near perfection or even perfection is achievable, anything short becomes unacceptable because people know better can be done and expected, because these companies also strive to make collectors happy and tweak and work things or re-release them again and again until everyone is content.

Sure it may feel tedious to hear too much from the opposite side, but in a mixed community, it's going to happen, and all you can do is ignore it or find some way to interact with it and redirect it in a positive manner rather than taking shots at each other's perspectives.

I'm glad he comes with the DL-18 blaster. I won't have him displayed holding it too much, but I'll also use it for my troopers like in Battlefront.

Meh, I have been collecting since 1976 so I know what a crappy figure looks like.....I also know what an amazing figure looks like.

Luke is not amazing....its good, but not gonna even be close to the top ten of all time. I was hoping HT would knock this of the park. But like most OT entires (excluding Leia) its just not their best work.

I do expect a manufacturer to keep pushing boundaries and making sculpts as life like as possible.

This is just not their best entry......not even in the SW universe is it the best sculpt.

I love the character......but expected it to be a bit better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fear I shall never be as happy as you Wor.

Well, maybe when I get my Ghostbusters 4 pack.....I might see a glimpse of Wor's delirious amplified state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Change is difficult.

I've been on these boards since 2006, when I joined, this was a small community, where almost everyone knew everyone, there were pipe dream projects of figures people knew would never be touched (Medieval Kurgan), and the majority of members, like myself, grew up with Hasbro as our only source of Star Wars figures, and Star Wars being one of few properties to get a thorough representation in figure form.

Hot Toys were in their infancy, these were what Hot Toys was turning out at the time and to most of us, they were cutting edge.

220.jpg

View attachment 353426

I was beyond ecstatic when Jedi Luke was debuted by Sideshow, and I'm sure many other too, though I know a lot of collectors always disliked the stare in his eyes, I was fine with it. I thought, finally, figures that look like the movie, not crazy toys that bare no resemblance to the film like Kenner toys, not He-Man proportioned Luke figures like Hasbro, but figures that looked like the actors, had real costumes and all the accessories you could want.

View attachment 353427

So you have to understand, for those who've been around this site for as long as I, and even longer than myself, or collecting longer, it's been like a lifetime of dreaming of figures to the level of this Luke, to the point where something like this is beyond anything we could ever have imagined possible, so criticisms of small features that, while may be accurate and true, that seem small in the big picture of the overall figure, seem almost crazy and ungrateful in the eyes of those who never thought we'd see the likes of these figures.

On the flip side, there are new generations among the population here now that know nothing but the golden age of collectibles where seemingly anything you could want is either available through custom artists or licensed manufacturers and to a level like nothing we could have dreamt of 20 years ago, and in a world where near perfection or even perfection is achievable, anything short becomes unacceptable because people know better can be done and expected, because these companies also strive to make collectors happy and tweak and work things or re-release them again and again until everyone is content.

Sure it may feel tedious to hear too much from the opposite side, but in a mixed community, it's going to happen, and all you can do is ignore it or find some way to interact with it and redirect it in a positive manner rather than taking shots at each other's perspectives.
ev

I get what you're saying. Louis CK has a bit, about how kids these days are ungrateful when their cell phone service lags. "It's travelling to space! Take a minute to appreciate that!" Or something to that effect. A lot of people feel the way you do.

However, I'm glad that these forums provide the opportunity for both passionate praise and criticism simultaneously. I don't always agree with it, but I'm always glad that I live in a western society where supply and demand drive innovation, whether we're talking about tech, toys or what have you. All feedback, positive and negative is constructive even when it's about subjective tastes... and when companies release prototypes prior to production for aesthetic goods like toys, they'd be wise to take notes in an increasingly competitive field.

People forget that this isn't just "art", but a technical skill. There aren't just subjective elements to making these figures, but quantifiable parameters in making a likeness. What I don't understand, is how occasionally products get released where there's inadequate attention paid to reference material, when you're creating toys aimed at achieving a realistic likeness of I.P. I mean, if your demographic want to spend $300 on a doll, in hopes it will look EXACTLY like the portrayal of the movie, you'd think your company would mandate TONS of reference material to ensure that proportions are consistently correct. I have a friend who works for a major FX studio, who constantly tells me stories about how digital fx artists get lazy and don't bother using reference material. I'm talking about major franchises owned by Disney. Hundreds of millions of dollars can be thrown around, and often artists still get lazy and refrain from accumulating sufficient source material. I heard an anecdote recently that made my head spin.

The new Grand Moff Tarkin is an example of this. We've only seen a front snapshot of the figure's torso, and there are a few easily avoidable mistakes that would have been prevented if reference material was adhered to.

I think it benefits everyone, if people voice those concerns. We win, and Hot Toys wins (so long as they adjust course) in an increasingly competitive market where the value of a figure can be diminished the moment someone else does it better.

I fear I shall never be as happy as you Wor.

Well, maybe when I get my Ghostbusters 4 pack.....I might see a glimpse of Wor's delirious amplified state.

My happiness is mask hiding my anger. :lol

If you get all 4 Ghostbusters you are required to get them that ECTO-1 as well. Then you will be truly happy.

This figure is phenomenal. The vest needs to be a touch longer and then it's good to G-O.

You're doing amazing work, Hot Toys. Keep them coming!

I think you are blind, the headsculpt is a mix of John Travolta and young Mick Jagger

Nitpicking? What ? Being critical of something is not allowed?

I guess we need to goose-step in line to the fanboy drumbeat?

Many people feel the sculpt is off a bit. I am one of them. There is nothing wrong with seeing inaccuracy or disappointment in a HT product. They have been damn near perfect on some recent works. Hamill is a tough sculpt to be sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't say what we feel about the expression or sculpt failings.

I have waited years for this one, being a bit disappointed in the failing of it is simply a reflection of all the waiting and hoping for a perfect HT product. Lord knows they had enough time to get things right. I pre ordered, but I have problems with the figure in areas, doesn't mean it's not a great effort......they just missed the perfection mark IMO.

It's a 8.5/10 to me......it's not Jack Sparrow or Nicholson Joker....ANH Leia....he'll even Dr Strange was a 9.5/10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The headsculpt is only 70% accuracy, too many fanboys, here and over there in the facebook groups. They are not gonna change the hs a bit, because you people are saying "it's perfect" lol

ev

I get what you're saying. Louis CK has a bit, about how kids these days are ungrateful when their cell phone service lags. "It's travelling to space! Take a minute to appreciate that!" Or something to that effect. A lot of people feel the way you do.

However, I'm glad that these forums provide the opportunity for both passionate praise and criticism simultaneously. I don't always agree with it, but I'm always glad that I live in a western society where supply and demand drive innovation, whether we're talking about tech, toys or what have you. All feedback, positive and negative is constructive even when it's about subjective tastes... and when companies release prototypes prior to production for aesthetic goods like toys, they'd be wise to take notes in an increasingly competitive field.

People forget that this isn't just "art", but a technical skill. There aren't just subjective elements to making these figures, but quantifiable parameters in making a likeness. What I don't understand, is how occasionally products get released where there's inadequate attention paid to reference material, when you're creating toys aimed at achieving a realistic likeness of I.P. I mean, if your demographic want to spend $300 on a doll, in hopes it will look EXACTLY like the portrayal of the movie, you'd think your company would mandate TONS of reference material to ensure that proportions are consistently correct. I have a friend who works for a major FX studio, who constantly tells me stories about how digital fx artists get lazy and don't bother using reference material. I'm talking about major franchises owned by Disney. Hundreds of millions of dollars can be thrown around, and often artists still get lazy and refrain from accumulating sufficient source material. I heard an anecdote recently that made my head spin.

The new Grand Moff Tarkin is an example of this. We've only seen a front snapshot of the figure's torso, and there are a few easily avoidable mistakes that would have been prevented if reference material was adhered to.

I think it benefits everyone, if people voice those concerns. We win, and Hot Toys wins (so long as they adjust course) in an increasingly competitive market where the value of a figure can be diminished the moment someone else does it better.

Spazz, I agree with your comments completely. Well said.

ev

:goodpost:

Yeah, there is a vibe around here that if HT does it, it is by default a bullseye. HT is like the Porsche of collectibles - foreign, built by magic, a brand that speaks for itself. Sideshow is like a Chev Camaro from the 1990's that's re-released with a few upgrades each year - solid but domestic and built by known technologies.

Gorgeous, ultra-real levels of sculpt detail and paint apps - the intangible magic of HT's products - hide the fact that most of their SW line has been a noticeable step down from their heights (Jack Sparrow etc..) And not just human sculpts (Han, Ben, Luke - take your pick; all lacking) but also helmet sculpts - Fett, Vader and stormie were all not bullseye sculpts even if gorgeously high end finish-wise.

I really like this Jedi Luke though. It's not one of those 10/10 HT sculpts, but it's also not one of their "stunt double" ones either.

This sculpt is looking great. If you don't wanna buy it, fine, you'll be $229 closer to finally getting that Lasik procedure.

I think you are blind, the headsculpt is a mix of John Travolta and young Mick Jagger

What are you looking at? Tom Cruise all the way.

:goodpost:

Yeah, there is a vibe around here that if HT does it, it is my default a bullseye. HT is like the Porsche of collectibles - foreign, built by magic, a brand that speaks for itself. Sideshow is like a Chev Camaro from the 1990's that's re-released with a few upgrades each year - solid but domestic and built by known technologies.

Gorgeous, ultra-real levels of sculpt detail and paint apps - the intangible magic of HT's products - hide the fact that most of their SW line has been a noticeable step down from their heights (Jack Sparrow etc..) And not just human sculpts (Han, Ben, Luke - take your pick; all lacking) but also helmet sculpts - Fett, Vader and stormie were all not bullseye sculpts even if gorgeously high end finish-wise.

I really like this Jedi Luke though. It's not one of those 10/10 HT sculpts, but it's also not one of their "stunt double" ones either.

Yeah, with the exception of a couple (TFA Han and ANH Leia), many of their recent SW offerings I think have had a 70% likeness at best on average (some higher, some lower, but TFA Han and ANH Leia the only two above 90% in my opinion). The sculpt of this figure is a step in the right direction, just going by the prototype. While not perfect, I do think it ranks up there as being one of their better recent human likenesses. I personally give the proto an 85%.

I say recent because DX07 was sort of a separate release on its own that not part of this recent group of offerings, and I think DX07 bears a good ESB Hamill likeness personally.

35900981825_472ac7b394_o.png

35512815250_604d2d30e5_o.png

If I posted another 99 pictures maybe it'll start to look like a mix of John Travolta and young Mick Jagger. :dunno

35900981825_472ac7b394_o.png

35512815250_604d2d30e5_o.png

If I posted another 99 pictures maybe it'll start to look like a mix of John Travolta and young Mick Jagger. :dunno

People start seeing likenesses of other actors I think when you sit there and stare at the sculpt, examining it. :lol

I'm sure if I stared at Wonder Woman's sculpt for a good while, I'll start seeing similarities to Carrie Fisher.

The headsculpt is only 70% accuracy, too many fanboys, here and over there in the facebook groups. They are not gonna change the hs a bit, because you people are saying "it's perfect" lol

It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect! It's perfect!

But for the people who genuinely do think it's a good RotJ Hamill portrait, why would they say that it needs to be changed if they genuinely feel it looks good? Changed for you? :dunno

Back