Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to stir up any huge debate, but I think that what Lucas did with Anakin in the prequels, is worse than what Disney did with Luke in TLJ. Turned arguably the greatest cinematic villain into a chump....

Blasphemy. And I don't even mind the Luke stuff from TLJ as much as I hate 50 other things about it.

ROTS is awesome. The other two movies, not so much.

Give it some time. Just like the prequels TLJ will grow on people. Especially when HT shows Crait Luke ;)

Give it time and more and more people will realize the force awakens is just as bad if not worse. The best part was all those people schilling for fa, telling us we needed to wait for the sequel to make it not trash. That blew up in their faces lmao. They don't even realize that answering questions in a sequel, doesn't make the first movie magically good. A movie needs to stand on its own legs and be judged for what it is. But they didn't even have a story arc planned, no unified vision for what they were doing. Its an embarrassment. The only thing more embarrassing, is the so called fans who actually defend it.

Give it time and more and more people will realize the force awakens is just as bad if not worse. The best part was all those people schilling for fa, telling us we needed to wait for the sequel to make it not trash. That blew up in their faces lmao. They don't even realize that answering questions in a sequel, doesn't make the first movie magically good. A movie needs to stand on its own legs and be judged for what it is. But they didn't even have a story arc planned, no unified vision for what they were doing. Its an embarrassment. The only thing more embarrassing, is the so called fans who actually defend it.

This to a tee. Doubling and tripling down on all the issues of TFA that dragged it down, with jar jar abrams mystery box method then RJ comes along and say nope we just going to say reasons for everything to subvert your expectations, and when you take issue with the stuff your just entitled spoiled fans and sexists.

TLJ was supposed to expand on TFA and explain the issues people had with rey mostly. But nope she goes from thinking the the force is a myth to being a confirmed jedi knight in about two weeks with 3 lessons from luke and they cut 2 out of the movie.

Took luke years of training on his own plus weeks training with yoda before and lessons from obi wan before he was a full jedi knight. And luke was the son of the "chosen one" and most powerful force user in jedi history.

And that is why fans love luke vs hate rey, one had depth and had struggles, vs the other who just got gud doing nothing and having practially zero motivations or struggles. She is a horribly written and acted character.

And that is why i ordered a luke ROTJ figure and exactly zero of TFA or TLJ figures.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Hot Toys rushes to make another batch of Anakin to satisfy demand...and while the TLJ hobbit Luke lies in idle. :p

Because it looks great. I love the design of the prequels and anakin looked great. They just needed more darkness and less what we had.
Anakins descent was much better in the novel.
And the last jedi sucks. Bad movie. And esp. a bad Star Wars film

Luke Jedi rocks by the way.

It's weird. Every time a new Star Wars movie comes out, people moan about it.
With this last one(TLJ, not Solo), they actually turned a lot of SW conventions on their heads and game us a real time movie where the stakes were high, where it wasn't a retread of any previous movie, and the fans were still up in arms.
TLJ wasn't that bad. It made almost a billion and a half.
I liked it.Sure, there were problems. But all of the movies have problems.
Everyone moaned that TFA was a retread of ANH. Everyone moaned that Rey picked up the force too soon, when Luke did the same(Less than a day after even hearing about the force, he was using it to fire proton torpedoes in a 2m reactor shaft housing). And he became proficient enough to almost hold his own against Vader in the time it took the Falcon to reach Cloud City...
Most of the arguments levelled at the new films are "too different" or "not different enough".
I suppose ultimately, the films will appeal to you or they won't.
I have liked them all so far. The way i see it is this: "It's Star Wars. I like it. Give me more".

With this last one(TLJ, not Solo), they actually turned a lot of SW conventions on their heads and game us a real time movie where the stakes were high, where it wasn't a retread of any previous movie, and the fans were still up in arms.
Everyone moaned that TFA was a retread of ANH. Everyone moaned that Rey picked up the force too soon, when Luke did the same(Less than a day after even hearing about the force, he was using it to fire proton torpedoes in a 2m reactor shaft housing). And he became proficient enough to almost hold his own against Vader in the time it took the Falcon to reach Cloud City...
Most of the arguments levelled at the new films are "too different" or "not different enough".
I have liked them all so far. The way i see it is this: "It's Star Wars. I like it. Give me more".

This.
Finally someone...

it was the complete shift in tone, and the completely muddled tone in it that threw me off. The terrible jokes that fell flat. Setting up these interesting plot points and characters, only for another director to come in and say, "nope, **** it, don't matter" in something that's supposed to be a continuation of a story. I remember sitting in the cinema being completely perplexed at what they were doing.

There's trying to be different, then there's completely writing off everything that come before it, as well as pushing different agendas in a bloody star wars film. I thought it was pretty disrespectful of the franchise to be honest.

I didn't mind TLJ. I felt more like a Star Wars movie than TFA did. With that, I just don't know how anyone can look past Leia in space. That was so bad it was comical. The Force was subtle and somewhat believable in the OT and between the PT and ST it just got out of hand. I think that's where all the complaints are coming from. My only complaint is that I wanted to see Han, Luke, Leia and Lando reunited one last time on screen. That didn't happen so I'm content with the OT. No need for me to complain about what other people like. To each their own.

To put things into perspective into how Luke's powers were developed over time and not just an "oh look what I can do" like Rey, you have to remeber Luke was shooting wamprats in his T-16 in Beggar's Canyon. So you can take it that it was either his skill as a bush pilot or The Force through Obi Wan that helped him in the Death Star assault. That's the beauty of it.

On Dagobah, Luke trained with Yoda for an extended period of time. He complains about how long the training is taking and was sucked into the hyperboic time chamber of Dagobah until he began to develop his ability to see into the future. When he gets to Bespin, Vader tests Luke's skills and is by no means threatend by him. He is toying with him and as Luke shows more of his abilities off, Vader starts to take control of the duel.

Is the light-up saber on this fig any brighter than previous releases? The light-up on the older HT figs always seems pretty dim to me (though the Luke farmboy seemed a touch brighter.) Curious is the "swish"/double blade lights up okay or more plastic sucks the brightness too much.

Just preordered this on Sideshow. Was unsure if I wanted it, but the pics shone here really sold it for me. Figure looks great! I missed the bespin 2 pack and have been kicking myself ever since.

Just preordered this on Sideshow. Was unsure if I wanted it, but the pics shone here really sold it for me. Figure looks great! I missed the bespin 2 pack and have been kicking myself ever since.

I think I'm checking in with SSC this Friday to see how far away their shipment of Lukes is. It surely must be in the next week or so thy'll be sending out the "arriving in ten days" e-mail.

I didn't mind TLJ. I felt more like a Star Wars movie than TFA did. With that, I just don't know how anyone can look past Leia in space. That was so bad it was comical. The Force was subtle and somewhat believable in the OT and between the PT and ST it just got out of hand. I think that's where all the complaints are coming from. My only complaint is that I wanted to see Han, Luke, Leia and Lando reunited one last time on screen. That didn't happen so I'm content with the OT. No need for me to complain about what other people like. To each their own.

To put things into perspective into how Luke's powers were developed over time and not just an "oh look what I can do" like Rey, you have to remeber Luke was shooting wamprats in his T-16 in Beggar's Canyon. So you can take it that it was either his skill as a bush pilot or The Force through Obi Wan that helped him in the Death Star assault. That's the beauty of it.

On Dagobah, Luke trained with Yoda for an extended period of time. He complains about how long the training is taking and was sucked into the hyperboic time chamber of Dagobah until he began to develop his ability to see into the future. When he gets to Bespin, Vader tests Luke's skills and is by no means threatend by him. He is toying with him and as Luke shows more of his abilities off, Vader starts to take control of the duel.

My big issue with the sequels is that all the work of the ot heroes is flushed down the toilet.

The films themselves have issues as well with structure and design but that of course can be levelled at the prequels And the originals. Empire particularly has the massive timeline problem - if Luke just left for dagobah before the probe is discovered you could easily stretch the timeline by months to accommodate Luke’s training

OK guys.

I POed this one back in the day, and I am now trying to collect problems found in it by the community. Maybe those of you guys who have been around since the thread began could help a bit with this.
I haven't gone through all comments since the figure has been available (heck, I though it was still not!), so here is what I have gleamed thus far:

- No gloved hand to hold the lightsaber hilt.

- Fatsuit hinders torso articulation, turns the guy into a fatty, removing it makes the figure too skinny.

- Pants makes difficult fully spreading the legs for very dynamic poses.

- Clothes could be worse than the new SSC counterpart, but we will have to wait a long time to be sure. In any case, they are by no means the best HT has put out. Fit is not great, with e.g. the chest becoming too wide.

Am I missing something? The True Type beneath OK? LED bright enough, even with the moving blade attached? Robe works good? No wire in it?

On a personal note, I do think HT's headsculpt for this Luke is nothing to call home about, which is sad given this figure's importance. I hope that when in hand I'll think differently, but judging by what I have seen, the likeness and the expression are mediocre if compared with e.g. Tarkin.

LMK!

Regards,
m.

Headsculpt looks great to me shrug.

He looks a tad thick in the torso area, but the cut the fat suit mod sorts that and is easy to do. And probably helps with that torso mobility.

And the leg spits? Well not like luke was jumping around like yoda in the prequels. So is there really any need for hyper dynamic poses? About as dynamic as i could see in a display is vader vs luke and luke trying to hold off vader where his legs are spread wide to take vaders power attack. But you can work around that, and most people are just going to have him basically standing.

I think the saber is lit brightly..I don't own the ANH luke so I can't compare if that is just as bright

I definitely think it's brighter than Kylo's saber though

I don't know if the crystal flaking pattern is with ANH saber, but IMO I think that's what helps make the color pop out when lit

Where they put the gloved hand on the lit hilt just makes me cringe being a sword guy :p.

Seriously. I brought that up at the beginning. He’s a lefty and if he’s just holdin the lit saber one handed he’d be right handed. At least it appears theres a bit of room to place his left hand above the right.

Seriously. I brought that up at the beginning. He’s a lefty and if he’s just holdin the lit saber one handed he’d be right handed. At least it appears theres a bit of room to place his left hand above the right.

There’s room to do both glove on top or glove on bottom. But the glove on bottom has more of a grip

Back