1/6 Hot Toys - MMS400 D18 - Iron Man 2 - Mark V Diecast Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[...]... but the height threw me off originally and I didn't think it would look right with my VI[...]

That was a key factor in my initial decision to let it go, but I got over it. Futzing with the pose and extensions helps, but it's more of an (expensive) accent piece for my Mark IV anyway, as these days I pose it all mid-transformation just behind hungover Tony.

It's by far one of the most striking armors in any line-up. Probably the most realistic too as far as looking like it could actually work (minus the suit case conversion though)

I always thought it looked like a natural upgrade from the silver Mk II and before the full gold/red coloring of the IV actually. In other words, seemed like it should have been the III and the III should have been the IV.

[...]Probably the most realistic too as far as looking like it could actually work (minus the suit case conversion though)[...]

Well...

Close enough? :lol

[...]I always thought it looked like a natural upgrade from the silver Mk II and before the full gold/red coloring of the IV actually. In other words, seemed like it should have been the III and the III should have been the IV.

I can see that...

I was so sure that Mark IV would be the only Iron Man I would ever need. It has the bulky machinery look from Mark III with the classic round reactor.
But now I have to say that the designs of Mark V and Mark 85 are growing on me :clap

So my top 3 list would be:

1. Mark IV
2. Mark 85 => classic comic look
3. Mark V => unique design with silver and awesome proportion

That wearable suit looks great. I wish they'd have more of that and less CGI sometimes.

There are scenes scattered through Civil War and AoU where the CG for the suit looks *particularly* bad. You mostly notice it on multiple viewings though.

There are scenes scattered through Civil War and AoU where the CG for the suit looks *particularly* bad. You mostly notice it on multiple viewings though.

There was a scene in AOU when they all first meet up in the church to guard the grill and the Mk 45 does this one movement that looked really bad imo. The mark L suffered from the the entire film

This is one downside to watching in 4K with a projector on a huge screen. Things just jump out as being so obviously fake.

That wearable suit looks great. I wish they'd have more of that and less CGI sometimes.

Yeah I was watching the first Avengers again last night and was struck by how much more realistic those two armors looked compared to ones in later movies, I think because they were still only replacing Downey's legs at that point, instead of creating the entire armor in CG.

Although the bulkier and more angular armors back then might have helped with that as well, and been easier to make look real.

It's the floating head effect you get at the airport that gets me in CW. Tony seems just a little more real than the suit and it's a bit more obvious in the daylight.

Yeah I was watching the first Avengers again last night and was struck by how much more realistic those two armors looked compared to ones in later movies, I think because they were still only replacing Downey's legs at that point, instead of creating the entire armor in CG.

Although the bulkier and more angular armors back then might have helped with that as well, and been easier to make look real.

The Mark VI looked great during Tony's entrance during the Cap and Loki fight, inside the Quinjet, and during his fight with Thor. The closeups in particular looked awesome, to me anyway.

I think the 46 looked great in a lot of shots too though, mostly during the fight with Cap and Bucky. The airport battle was were it looked the worst IMO.

Yeah anytime it's an outdoor shot in daylight they have a harder time making the armors look realistic. At least the newer ones; they didn't have as much of a problem with that in the older movies it seemed.

Yeah anytime it's an outdoor shot in daylight they have a harder time making the armors look realistic. At least the newer ones; they didn't have as much of a problem with that in the older movies it seemed.

The newer ones break suspension of disbelief because the CG is more difficult but also because they’re lacking some of the more grounded details, that our brains can attach as points of reference.

Even the Mark 1 wasn’t “realistic” if you want to nitpick it, but there are graduated thresholds for what we’re able to buy onscreen. Nothing wrong with it, all of it is comic book fantasy anyway, but that’s my take on some of what we see and react to.

I would say most of this gets by on first viewing, but the 21rst century is NOT kind to films in terms of the scrutiny they receive after the fact.

Can you imagine the digital beating Star Wars would get if released today? [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple explanation is that more and more effects companies are being used on each movie, and all the really good looking armors you remember were most likely done by ILM or Weta, up through the 43 and Hulkbuster in Ultron, then it becomes a real grab bag of VFX houses, even within any one film.

Weta did the whole IM3 final battle, while Scanline, Trixter, and Luma did some of the earlier Mk 42 shots, which looked fine.

Method Studios did the noticeably off Mark 45 in AoU, that was their first time doing an armor.

ILM did do the CW airport battle, and 46 doesn't look up to their standards imo. They did have to digitally replace basically everything in that scene, so perhaps they couldn't give it the time deserved- everything about CW seems crazy rushed anyway (and ILM didn't do a single other scene featuring the 46 or 47). Method did the silo sequence, they got a bit better there and the darkness helps the shaders not look too computery, but not wild about the animation.

The Mk 50 which looks pretty cartoon in earlier scenes was Framestore (NYC battle) and Cinesite (on the ship with Maw). The 50 looks probably the best in the Titan battle, and that whole thing was done by Weta.

Not all the Endgame VFX breakdowns are out yet, but as far as the 85, Weta did most of the final battle, with ILM handling at least the Captain Marvel sequence. Not sure who did the 2012 Stark tower 85 shots yet (Cinesite did the lobby sequence, Lola and DNEG did Captain v Captain).

Iron Man (ILM)
MkJT4fF.jpg

byGeNMI.jpg

zNB1oZf.jpg

Iron Man 2 (ILM)
RMPSV7s.jpg

nCq846h.jpg

Avengers (Weta)
fwuTVNe.jpg

Avengers (ILM)
glguqqH.jpg

Iron Man 3 (Scanline)
L9piYmm.jpg

Iron Man 3 (Framestore)
AKqJDlM.jpg

Iron Man 3 (Trixter)
zo9dxof.jpg

Iron Man 3 (Digital Domain)
fuBmhR0.jpg

Iron Man 3 (Weta)
YCPyAhj.jpg

Age of Ultron (ILM)
vMNutpu.jpg

Age of Ultron (ILM)
QPPjmdr.jpg

Age of Ultron (Method Studios)
rT4eDUZ.jpg

Civil War (ILM)
PfinZmd.jpg

Civil War (Method Studios)
09otQwo.jpg

Homecoming (Luma)
08FX171.jpg

Homecoming (Digital Domain)
nvAr2Rl.jpg

Infinity War (Framestore)
8kZbmqt.jpg

Infinity War (Cinesite)
y5hTuvc.jpg

Infinity War (Weta)
t0tLN0I.jpg

The 50 really needed to look like this (which is a practical suit with a bit of digital polish), but never got there
xoghViJ.png
YIH4g4L.jpg

Last edited:
Back