1/6 Hot Toys MMS351 Captain America: Civil War The Winter Soldier Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A favorite adage of mine :clap:lol]

First off, Bucky is probably my favorite character in the MCU. That being said, I think Bucky absolutely blurs the line between antagonist and villain in TWS (and the semi-ridiculous he-can-be-triggered-again subplot in CW, but I digress). Fully brainwashed/controlled, the Winter Soldier - while not evil by any stretch - is deadly, efficient, and merciless. He "kills" Fury, kills Sitwell, and nearly kills Sam, Natasha and Steve. Yes, Pierce is the bigger baddie, but Marvel marketed Bucky as the villain of TWS and he did serve as the primary physical threat throughout the movie. He's sympathetic and endearing because of his tragic past, but he makes a heck of a villain for the first part of the film before his true identity and Cap's connection to him is revealed. Some of my favorite parts of TWS are the Winter Soldier being the unshakeable, cold-blooded (ha pun), take-no-prisoners "bad" guy. I love the friendship, heart-to-heart scenes with Cap too, but damn if Bucky isn't cool (ha pun again) as the brutal Russian assassin.

Antagonist? Villain?

I like the "triggers" in CW - thought it was well-handled:clap. Somewhere around was reading an article where some drs. weigh in on CW, talking about "fugue states", brainwashing, disassociation - folks that wake up in other cities and don't know who they are, or how they got there. I figure w. Bucky too, as the character is depicted in the film and the back history - who's to say Hydra didn't use whatever drugs on him as well, scrambling his brain even more.
After all, he would have been being frozen and unthawed through the late '50s and through the '60s when a lot of experimenting went on.

For me, I can't call Bucky a villain as I think of word - and there's shades of grey here IMO. If I think of a villain (as TrashCat describes) as one who chooses to coldly destroy - 'coz by that definition, Hawkeye and Black Widow are villains at different periods. The twins think of Iron Man as a villain, etc. Re the film Bucky is haunted by what he'd done - but I'd argue that it's a question if "he" did it, because by default if you are "de-selfed" then are you no longer "you?" (D*mn, the writers are good w. emotional torment, because if Bucky "remembers all of them" then to me it implies a part of himself was watching himself kill etc. and not being able to do anything...)

For me - WS is my favorite character, but I've got no doubt it's because of Sebastian Stan and the Russos skilled handling of the role. It's not just because of the backstory...that said, LOL, I'd be lying if I said I didn't thoroughly enjoy every scene of Bucky wreaking havoc. It's like watching a force of nature.

IF and WHEN Bucky wakes up and/or takes up the shield and/or helps against Thanos - well, I'm not gonna wanna watch the Winter Soldier kind of feel bad about the destruction of the world, but opt for being a pacifist and run away or something. I'm gonna want to see vengeful Bucky ***-kicking in all his most lethal, relentless, smoky-eyed, knife-wielding, sharpshooting, POSSIBLY shield-wielding glory. I mean, it's not like I don't enjoy the WS highway scenes and all. Even if Bucky isn't being nice when he throws Sitwell into traffic (but that's OK, re the comics: He [Sitwell] returned as a zombie through unknown ways and was held in Area 13 by a S.H.I.E.L.D. division called S.T.A.K.E.:monkey3) and besides did anyone cry over Sitwell?

Fan-made IW trailer!!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptfk0TF9MF0
This was pretty good IMO - gotta keep busy waiting!:lol

Meanwhile - am thinking I need just one more CW Bucky to tinker with.:monkey3. Eventually. This one is great, and lots of custom possibilities. And assuming - most likely - when Bucky gets a new arm, who's to say that it wouldn't be some sort of blackened metal or look "human" (stealth) or have completely different markings like a Cap shield or even markings from Wakanda? The filmmakers don't strictly follow the comics. And one thing I've noticed - even w. "less popular" retired figs, on the 'bay, prices don't seem to go down, all that much.

See, and that is exactly what makes me not wanna read that comic. That comment you quoted. It just makes me go "eh no, thank you. I'm fine with the MCU Buck." One of my main issues with comics is, I really don't like to have different versions of a character. I prefer to have Fraction's Hawkeye and honestly have no desire to read any other. I like the characters in the MCU and that's enough for me, don't need 20 different authors writing my fave characters, each a bit different. Moreover, I hate the "x character died but don't worry he comes back to life" thing.

Btw, I apologise to everyone who comes here expecting pics or discussion about the figure. XD I'll stop now!

I can understand that. And I sure wouldn't have, personally, enjoyed a "boy-Bucky" re the original character waaaaaay back...but for me, it's all those bits and pieces of history and it's cool - the more I learn, the more I respect what the filmmakers slip into the movies, from the original material. Plus, like with Civil War, from the featurettes, I get curious re what I'm missing.

Also, for me - haven't read enough yet, but from 'net articles re comics as depicted, Bucky as Captain America (and NOT saying that WILL happen as who knows what the script will do) is pretty cool. Sounds like a bit more of an edge, a bit more bad boy than Steve Rogers. Which, IF true, for me will be a lot of fun AND would go along with James Barnes (First Avenger) cheekiness. Who knows, Falcon could end up as Cap. Or Cap could stay w. Chris Evans. Tho personally am hoping for a "Nomad" Chris Evans and a Cap-Bucky, which will look amazing on the shelf IMO - I'd have an entire arc. (IF I can source a First Avenger Cap at some point $$$.) And not saying I don't love Chris Evan's Cap. But like the actors say the characters hafta have some kind of evolution/arc.

LOL w. the "the end" being a revolving door of sorts. For me tho kudos to the Russos for putting their foot down and knowing that you don't need deaths to "make an emotional statement". For me it's kind of worse, re the characters, thinking about what they are living with, in theory. That's emotional enough.

I like the "triggers" in CW - thought it was well-handled:clap. Somewhere around was reading an article where some drs. weigh in on CW, talking about "fugue states", brainwashing, disassociation - folks that wake up in other cities and don't know who they are, or how they got there. I figure w. Bucky too, as the character is depicted in the film and the back history - who's to say Hydra didn't use whatever drugs on him as well, scrambling his brain even more. After all, he would have been being frozen and unthawed through the late '50s and through the '60s when a lot of experimenting went on.

IMO, making Bucky able to be triggered into the Winter Soldier again just to have some part of the film audience agree with Stark that he needs to be jailed or put down is just lazy. The bombing-framing by Zemo would have worked by itself without Bucky actually being turned into the Winter Soldier, especially if Feige and Co. are planning on having him take up the shield after Evans ditches the MCU. Many people - characters and audience - aren't going to trust him after Civil War, and for an arguably good reason. They should have left Bucky being the Winter Soldier in TWS (we've seen him brainwashed and brutal, move on, Russos!) and focused instead on the mental after-effects of being a popsicle/brainwashed killer for 70 years.

It all just brings me back to the fact that I don't like that Cap 3 got turned into Civil War because of Downey's involvement. Would have been a much different (and better) film with just Cap, Nat, Sam, and Bucky. :dunno

IMO, making Bucky able to be triggered into the Winter Soldier again just to have some part of the film audience agree with Stark that he needs to be jailed or put down is just lazy. The bombing-framing by Zemo would have worked by itself without Bucky actually being turned into the Winter Soldier, especially if Feige and Co. are planning on having him take up the shield after Evans ditches the MCU. Many people - characters and audience - aren't going to trust him after Civil War, and for an arguably good reason. They should have left Bucky being the Winter Soldier in TWS (we've seen him brainwashed and brutal, move on, Russos!) and focused instead on the mental after-effects of being a popsicle/brainwashed killer for 70 years.

It all just brings me back to the fact that I don't like that Cap 3 got turned into Civil War because of Downey's involvement. Would have been a much different (and better) film with just Cap, Nat, Sam, and Bucky. :dunno

Respect your position, honestly. Hadn't thought about it that way, for one thing when CW came out Real Life was being a pain in the ***, and then it sounds like re the featurettes it was Kevin Feige and all who wanted to do Civil War and eventually got Downey on board. I would have been happy enough w. Cap, Nat, Sam and Bucky and whoever else.

May not make folks happy re Downey's IM but CW does seem to set things up nicely, for Evans and Downey to step back if they want - especially Downey who's made some noise about passing the torch. And for Bucky to pick up the shield, because, in theory IMO, assuming it's like some Independence Day thing and the whole earth is blasted, sketchy communications, some Avengers dead or gone, I figure humanity would be looking for a known figurehead to bring hope (or at least re the comics it's about the world needing A Captain America). Maybe part of the story could be about Tony looking past his personal feelings to heal Bucky (like Dr. Strange, where the Ancient One says it was never about him). Or something like that. Not sure where BP would be either, w. all that advanced techno. But would anyone care what anyone's past was, if, as Mordo says in DS "a world on fire" and there's only the outliers like Bucky, Antman, Guardians, Black Widow, Falcon, even Loki left against Thanos.:dunno

(Re IM Hot Toys must love Tony showing up tho - gotta get another version of IM out!:cool:)

Tony "Stealth" clothes and Civil War head sculpt on Mechanic MMS209 body.

Attachments

• Stark_CivilWar_mr.jpg
    Stark_CivilWar_mr.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 186

:goodpost: :)

Maybe part of the story could be about Tony looking past his personal feelings to heal Bucky (like Dr. Strange, where the Ancient One says it was never about him). Or something like that. Not sure where BP would be either, w. all that advanced techno. But would anyone care what anyone's past was, if, as Mordo says in DS "a world on fire" and there's only the outliers like Bucky, Antman, Guardians, Black Widow, Falcon, even Loki left against Thanos.:dunno

To save the world? Nah, no one will mind then. But if Buck's going to pick up the shield after the events of IW, the Russo's didn't do a great job clearing Bucky's name to the general public (in the MCU-verse) or to Team Stark. I also think it will make less sense in the MCU since no one has any secret identities. Any Average Joe in-universe will know there's an ex-Russian-assassin-who-was-recently-accused-of-bombing-the-UN going around calling himself Captain America :lol

I'd like to see Bucky!Cap, but I'd want it to be done in a way that makes sense in the MCU. He hasn't been totally "redeemed" - while we know he wasn't at fault for his actions under HYDRA, many still see it that way and won't stop until the movies make it clear he's a good guy... Step one would be to stop making him revert back into his Winter Soldier persona. We'll see! I'm cautiously optimistic for how they handle Bucky going forward.

Also, I am surprised Tony's memory-altering tech was never brought up again after the first scene. Odd, since it could have foreshadowed his eventual willingness to help 'reprogram' Bucky.

Amen to that.
I hate that they used the Civil War story line for the final of the Cap trilogy. The movie would have had so much more quality with less characters. I'd have preferred Black Panther hunting Buck for the bombings with Crossbones or Zemo behind it and Cap helping Buck with the help of Sam, Nat and/or Sharon.

I somewhere read the original script had Cap and Buck team up trying to stop a bombing but then RDJ moved into the picture and they changed it to CW. I'mstill bitter ....

Regarding Bucky!Cap, I don't think I want that. The only way I can see Buck take up the shield in the MCU is when Steve was dead but really, I prefer they kept Stevie alive and just made him retire the mantle of Cap. I'm not a fan of that comic thing where different characters take on the role of IM, Cap, Falcon, Thor etc. and to be honest I don't think it works that well for the movies and it's not really needed either. They already have such a huge cast with lots of new names they need to concentrate on (Ant-Man, Strange, BP, Capt. Marvel), they don't need to replace Cap. Maybe they just let Buck take the shield for a while without turning him into Cap, which I think would work best.

I always thought they could give Buck a trilogy, seeing how he has that 9 movie deal, slowly establishing Bucky!Cap to make it understandable and give the audience time to get used to him as Cap. However, with the current movie schedule, Seb would be in his mid 40's before they even got to the 2nd movie ...
I mean, considerimg he's in both Infinity War movies ... he still got 5 movies left ... XD

To save the world? Nah, no one will mind then. But if Buck's going to pick up the shield after the events of IW, the Russo's didn't do a great job clearing Bucky's name to the general public (in the MCU-verse) or to Team Stark. I also think it will make less sense in the MCU since no one has any secret identities. Any Average Joe in-universe will know there's an ex-Russian-assassin-who-was-recently-accused-of-bombing-the-UN going around calling himself Captain America :lol

I'd like to see Bucky!Cap, but I'd want it to be done in a way that makes sense in the MCU. He hasn't been totally "redeemed" - while we know he wasn't at fault for his actions under HYDRA, many still see it that way and won't stop until the movies make it clear he's a good guy... Step one would be to stop making him revert back into his Winter Soldier persona. We'll see! I'm cautiously optimistic for how they handle Bucky going forward.

Also, I am surprised Tony's memory-altering tech was never brought up again after the first scene. Odd, since it could have foreshadowed his eventual willingness to help 'reprogram' Bucky.

The same way the cradle wasn't utilised to bring Pietro back in Age of Ultron (though it could be argued the cradle was destroyed, but there was no clear confirmation of that) - either lazy writing, or more likely a MacGuffin like scenario: desired object that could solve the problems shown later in the film, but conveniently forgotten about by the time the problem arises.

True! But I'm thinking, on a "modern, global, threat-to-the world scale" - I mean, we get hit w. so much news info and ads and media that over the years, since Bucky was a "ghost assassin" most of what he did - or even if he did it, is pretty muddled. Someone pointed out even w. Stark's parents that what we see isn't even what Tony could have possibly seen re that footage (possibly leaving the door open for the comic story that Howard Stark faked his death - great:google). Plus, Bucky gets the sympathy vote for being wrongly accused:( AND being, for all practical purposes, a tortured POW:(. A left-behind POW - e.g., the suspicion that the govt. knew for years and left him. (Like, maybe the CIA even had a deal w. Russia, assuming WS was mostly used against political figures). And his best friend is Captain America - why would CAPTAIN AMERICA protect someone who was evil? Along with Falcon, another honorable soldier?

And LOL, possibly, a lawyer would have a field day with all that as well as the media, and in theory the U.S. gov't owes Bucky years of back pay too:cool:, because he was never discharged and/or possibly wrongly listed as deceased. (Even was denied a lawyer). But most of all, I think if the world is being destroyed, most folks aren't going to look too hard at anyone who steps up to save it, because things are that bad - it's Thanos:horror! (and maybe Hela) and all kinds of alien ugliness shredding the whole earth (like Tony's vision in Ultron). There wouldn't even BE much media (or evidence about WS) left either (in theory communications/satellites would be pretty damaged). Because, if IW starts off w. the Avengers "being caught off guard" then IMO the rest of the world is caught off guard, too.

My theory, anyway. Which could be completely and utterly wrong.:lol But, ironically, IMO it's the Winter Soldier's skill set (among other characters like Antman) that I think will be pretty useful if aliens are overrunning the earth. Doesn't Thanos pretty much want to kill everybody? (Then there's the comics e.g. Bucky, and others, could end up in space/other dimensions entirely.:panic:)

Re Tony's techno - I thought that was foreshadowing - but - I've read hints/speculation that Dr. Strange may help w. Bucky? and don't know why BP w. all the Wakanda tech and knowledge wouldn't be able to heal Bucky...or even Vision or SW. Guess they left the door open on that one.:dunno

Amen to that.
I hate that they used the Civil War story line for the final of the Cap trilogy. The movie would have had so much more quality with less characters. I'd have preferred Black Panther hunting Buck for the bombings with Crossbones or Zemo behind it and Cap helping Buck with the help of Sam, Nat and/or Sharon.

I somewhere read the original script had Cap and Buck team up trying to stop a bombing but then RDJ moved into the picture and they changed it to CW. I'mstill bitter ....

I always thought they could give Buck a trilogy, seeing how he has that 9 movie deal, slowly establishing Bucky!Cap to make it understandable and give the audience time to get used to him as Cap. However, with the current movie schedule, Seb would be in his mid 40's before they even got to the 2nd movie ...
I mean, considerimg he's in both Infinity War movies ... he still got 5 movies left ... XD

Well, between this post and others, and bein' occupied a lot when CW was developing and being released - first I'm hearing of RDJ's involvement changing the storyline - I always thought it was more of a question as to RDJ doing any more IM films at all - e.g., the talk of his interest in Sherlock Holmes, talk/rumors of him getting tired of playing IM, and so on. If THAT was true, I was kinda surprised he's even showing up for Spiderman:confused:.

I dunno - actors are people, MAYBE it's one of those things like Chris Evans, who SOUNDED (to me) like he wanted to move on from Cap at one point in the press, and then "sounds like" he changed his mind. :huh

I always thought they could give Buck a trilogy - well, yeah. For me, I liked the swath of characters in Civil War. But most of all, I liked the healthy dose of Winter Soldier as IMO Sebastian Stan's Bucky d**n well needed to be seen a lot more of IMO - just re-watched WS and it really is an incredible job. I can see why the Russos are so enthused (as, I hafta think they weren't the original directors to hire Seb). And agree w. the Russos the camera loves Sebastian.

For me it's vaguely annoying that there are MCU "newcomers" getting films when I'd rather watch Bucky/Nat/Falcon etc. and think there's a lot more to be done there. We still don't even know, re the films - IS there, or WAS there, any connection, EVER, between Nat and Bucky:huh? Or did that comic story get tossed out completely? But, supposedly, the Russos are keeping to "main story lines" and who Bucky is going forward is one of them:pray:.

https://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-infinity-war-relationships/https://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-infinity-war-relationships/

"The other relationship that’s still exciting to us is, again, Cap and Bucky. The wonderful thing about this movie, which started in Winter Soldier, is that Cap had a belief in him, that there’s still a human being inside the Winter Soldier that he can save and that he can reach, and he’s gone to incredible lengths now, with incredible faith, that that’s waiting for him if he goes there. He’s found that human being inside Bucky Barnes, but who is that guy going forward? Just because he’s found and he’s there, he’s still this crazy, bastard hybrid of who he used to be in The First Avenger and this killing machine.

Joe Russo: If he’s not Bucky Barnes or The Winter Soldier, then who is he?

Anthony Russo: He’s somebody new now. What kind of relationship will him and Cap have moving forward?
"

IMO Sebastian Stan has had one of the toughest jobs in the MCU:clap:clap:clap. Am also interested to see where they go with Wanda and Black Panther.

Well, they can't give everyone their own movie/trilogy. That's really pushing it imo. So far, they've settled for trilogies and as much as I love certain characters, not everyone needs one. Black Widow, Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, Falcon etc. are great but if you only have a certain amount of movies each year, you might do the big guns first and introduce Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Captain Marvel and let the others be support or in the team movies. Who knows where it's going from there and who else will get to star in their own movie. So far I'm glad they picked the characters they did as there are different enough to not make the movies feel repetitive despite the story lines being similar. I love Seb's performance as Bucky and if they toss in Sam, I'm sure we could get one hell of a movie, I'm just not sure there's enough material for 3 movies to keep it interesting. Sure, Bucky/Nat and the Red Room training but I'm not really interested in watching a love story, tbh. XD

Well, I'm open for anything and I'm sure with the right directors, the MCU can make a perfect trilogy for Buck or give him amazing roles to play in a more supportive role in future MCU movies.

Regarding Bucky!Cap, I don't think I want that. The only way I can see Buck take up the shield in the MCU is when Steve was dead but really, I prefer they kept Stevie alive and just made him retire the mantle of Cap. I'm not a fan of that comic thing where different characters take on the role of IM, Cap, Falcon, Thor etc. and to be honest I don't think it works that well for the movies and it's not really needed either. They already have such a huge cast with lots of new names they need to concentrate on (Ant-Man, Strange, BP, Capt. Marvel), they don't need to replace Cap.

:goodpost:

My sentiments also. However, if Chris Evans's contract isn't renewed and he's done as Captain America/Steve Rogers beyond IW, I wouldn't mind the character dying through an act of self sacrifice.

Lots of scrolling in the last couple pages, please repeat your post if anyone posted something about the 1/6 figure.

:goodpost:

My sentiments also. However, if Chris Evans's contract isn't renewed and he's done as Captain America/Steve Rogers beyond IW, I wouldn't mind the character dying through an act of self sacrifice.
I'm sure IF he dies, that's how he's gonna go. But I don't wanna think about it ... ToT

Lots of scrolling in the last couple pages, please repeat your post if anyone posted something about the 1/6 figure.
I'm sorry, I'd love to post pics instead but sadly my figure won't be here till April maybe even May ....

I would personally like to see him lift Mjolnir. I like to think that's what that brief scene in AoU where he budged it was portending.

Back