1/6 Hot Toys MMS239 Black Widow The Winter Soldier Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked this up in a trade. Love it. But I also have the avengers one coming and I don't need both. I'm leaning towards the avengers head as being better but I'm not sure

Tough choice.
- If pressed I'd go with the Avengers one myself; but moreover if you have the Avengers one en route I'd re-consider keeping both :wink1:

One can never have enough ScarJo dolls! :lecture

Just received this figure today. My gawd she is amazing in hand.

Sweet pic !!!

I picked this up in a trade. Love it. But I also have the avengers one coming and I don't need both. I'm leaning towards the avengers head as being better but I'm not sure

Both sculpts are very good in their own way IMO. To me it really comes down to which hair you like better. I choose the TWS version over the Avengers one because of that single reason :lol

Yeah lots of tempting pics going up lately, that's what helped convince me to snag one. If she does come back up on sideshow hopefully they'll extend the coupon so you can get it. As it is now I think it expires/expired on the 25th at midnight :(
My biased opinion would be to get this one now, especially since I've been able to enjoy it in person, but it would also depend on what style you prefer. The AoU version does look really cool and the face is just a repaint so no loss/gain there. It would come down to long hair vs short, all black outfit vs colourful one, few accessories vs more, cheaper vs more expensive, buy now vs pre order.
As you said you could probably get the accessories later anyway. Don't know if I've helped now or just stated a lot of obvious facts haha I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, and I'll leave it at that :)

I remember the email said it expired on the 25th, but I saved the coupon code to my account, and it says it expires on the 30th. But it's all moot if it's still on waitlist.

Thanks for writing that out. I've been thinking over the same points, and it helps to see someone else point them out too. I generally like costumes that are faithful to the comics, so the WS version has that going for it; but the AoU costume has been slowly growing on me. And I like the short hair, so I'd probably pick up one of the Avengers heads, which negates the price difference a bit. If I can get a good enough deal on the WS version, I'll pick it up and go from there; otherwise, I think I'll just wait for the AoU version.

Thank you for this! A local shop matched the deal as long as i had the email!:clap

No problem, that's great you could get the deal

I remember the email said it expired on the 25th, but I saved the coupon code to my account, and it says it expires on the 30th. But it's all moot if it's still on waitlist.

Thanks for writing that out. I've been thinking over the same points, and it helps to see someone else point them out too. I generally like costumes that are faithful to the comics, so the WS version has that going for it; but the AoU costume has been slowly growing on me. And I like the short hair, so I'd probably pick up one of the Avengers heads, which negates the price difference a bit. If I can get a good enough deal on the WS version, I'll pick it up and go from there; otherwise, I think I'll just wait for the AoU version.

I was almost the opposite haha wanted the longer hair but almost prefer the new costume. Considering the other points I told you earlier, I went with the WS version for the hair and the price I found mine at in a local shop. I always like the anticipation when deciding on a new figure so good luck with whichever you settle on, or maybe you'll make a hybrid version which I'm sure would be awesome

I was almost the opposite haha wanted the longer hair but almost prefer the new costume. Considering the other points I told you earlier, I went with the WS version for the hair and the price I found mine at in a local shop. I always like the anticipation when deciding on a new figure so good luck with whichever you settle on, or maybe you'll make a hybrid version which I'm sure would be awesome

Haha, awesome! But does that mean I'm supposed to buy the AoU version then? ;) I want to see if there are any really cool Widow moments in the movie first, but I suspect that I'm ultimately going to want a Black Widow figure with those batons; the only issue is what outfit I want for it (I do like the hybrid idea). Thanks for the help!

I suspect that I'm ultimately going to want a Black Widow figure with those batons; the only issue is what outfit I want for it (I do like the hybrid idea). Thanks for the help!

The batons do look cool. All her accessories do really... I might be in trouble here haha

Amen! That's why after the first 3 Widows, I am ordering my 4th! Not sure I will get her after AOU..."There are always possibilities!"

Sounds like you're with her

tumblr_n4c2m3JH3I1rpcmh2o9_500.gif

sorry I'm stealing that joke from Brainiac, but couldn't resist haha

Finally got some cellphone pics now that I've managed to get the hair closer to my liking. I'm not 100% satisfied yet, there just so much time you can spend styling doll hair haha

think she looks pretty good from the side

the hair is a bit more pushed back from the face in the first 2 pics

:rock :rock Yep 1/6..... 1/4...... and even 1/1 if your so inclined :rotfl :monkey3

:exactly: :rotfl

Amen! That's why after the first 3 Widows, I am ordering my 4th! Not sure I will get her after AOU..."There are always possibilities!"

Heh quite!
- Well I have the Avengers 1 version, ScarJo PF and a couple of spare Hot Toy's Avengers 1 head sculpts for custom creations and whatnot.

I have to say, I've never been overly keen on this version; however thanks to recent postings and pictures posted I now have a number of these on my eBay watch list - Thanks. :pfft: :lol

:exactly: :rotfl

Heh quite!
- Well I have the Avengers 1 version, ScarJo PF and a couple of spare Hot Toy's Avengers 1 head sculpts for custom creations and whatnot.

I have to say, I've never been overly keen on this version; however thanks to recent postings and pictures posted I now have a number of these on my eBay watch list - Thanks. :pfft: :lol

Yeah... It happens :lol

I have the Avengers version, I'll get the AoU version but this one is still my favourite, I love the outfit and the long hair

Finally got some cellphone pics now that I've managed to get the hair closer to my liking. I'm not 100% satisfied yet, there just so much time you can spend styling doll hair haha

think she looks pretty good from the side

the hair is a bit more pushed back from the face in the first 2 pics

WOW!

Share the wisdom of attaining that hairdo, please! Don't be shy.

WOW!

Share the wisdom of attaining that hairdo, please! Don't be shy.

Sure! glad you like it :hi5:

I used a styling wax/paste product that I had left over, I don't use it anymore. It comes in a little jar and I would just rub my index fingers and thumbs in a little bit of it, sometimes dipping my fingers in water as well. The water is good to dilute the wax a bit if you have too much, so you don't have a glob of it on one patch of hair. With the wax/paste I used it was still easy to spread it through if I did use too much, also it should wash out fairly easy in the future.
Initially I did just try wetting the hair but that was frustrating and made the hair stick together and all those bald spots became really obvious. :slap If you have this problem let the hair dry out and possibly combing might help. It's best if the hair stays relatively dry, which is why the wax was good as it doesn't wet the hair like gel might.

First thing I wanted was to remove the curl from the bottom. If you have that plastic wrap still for her head that can help hold the rest of the hair down. From there I used the styling product to style the bottom of the hair down and keep it from curling back. Pinching the hair down helps because you get product on the inside hair too. Just get everything straightened out and the wax should hold it down.

Next you can take the plastic off and just smooth all the hair down with a light bit of product.

After that I worked on the front of the hair. Like the bottom I was a little heavier on the wax. With one hand (index finger and thumb) I'd smooth the front hair out from the middle to the sides. Holding the hair at the sides I'd use my other hand to apply a bit of product down the front on either side of the face. Holding the top keeps the hair from losing the style when you smooth out the sides.

I think that's pretty much it. I snipped a couple random long bits of hair, and pretty much just repeated any of those steps to get it to how I liked it.

Oh and the stuff I used was bumble and bumble 'sumotech' in case you want a better look at that - think it's kinda expensive if you just bought it for this tho.

I would look into synthetic doll wax that I've heard mentioned on here before, or an easier option would be any kind of wax product you can find at a supermarket/drug-store. Here's a video by the Reviewerking when he styled the hair on an Aragorn figure that might be helpful as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SObXLT8pJuo

I tried to keep this brief but failed haha hope that helps. Let me know if you need something cleared up

Messed around a bit with BW's hair and it definetly makes a difference on this figures appearance

It really does. I like the options it gives you tho, I thought about just going completely off book with mine but it took so long to get the hair straight I wanna just enjoy that for a while. You can really make or break the figure with the style. That'd be too bad if it put people off this figure which is actually really good.

I like your pics btw :)

Back