1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone purchased the custom collar piece from Tony (Mei)? How does it compare to the modified standard issue collar after it's been customized? Are there any benefits to using Tony's collar other than not having to do all the exacto blade work to carve up the original yourself?

I ask because I have one of Tony's on order, but it looks like it's gonna be at least another three weeks before I have it in hand. I have the Mei cape ready to go (just received it this week), and I'm anxious to start with the mod. Do we think it's worth the added time and expense?

I apologize if this discussion has been had, but at 1,000+ pages to look through at this point, I think I'll just take the consternation :lol.

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone purchased the custom collar piece from Tony (Mei)? How does it compare to the modified standard issue collar after it's been customized? Are there any benefits to using Tony's collar other than not having to do all the exacto blade work to carve up the original yourself?

I ask because I have one of Tony's on order, but it looks like it's gonna be at least another three weeks before I have it in hand. I have the Mei cape ready to go (just received it this week), and I'm anxious to start with the mod. Do we think it's worth the added time and expense?

I apologize if this discussion has been had, but at 1,000+ pages to look through at this point, I think I'll just take the consternation :lol.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have Tony's collar, so my comments are pretty much just deduced from these photos :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421281374.833569.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421281388.934133.jpg

If you've ordered Tony's collar, I'd suggest you wait to do the mod. It becomes a little easier and more (movie) accurate with his collar and there are benefits to using it...

I'm pretty sure that there's no cutting required - just gluing. With the old collar, you had to cut the back so that it could reach the insignia, but I believe thats not the case with his collar.

So to answer your question, yes I would wait.

Mine's on the way :rock: whoo! Scored it during Black Friday for $125.99, triple rewards and free shipping with flex pay.

I don't have Tony's collar, so my comments are pretty much just deduced from these photos :)

View attachment 158781
View attachment 158782

If you've ordered Tony's collar, I'd suggest you wait to do the mod. It becomes a little easier and more (movie) accurate with his collar and there are benefits to using it...

I'm pretty sure that there's no cutting required - just gluing. With the old collar, you had to cut the back so that it could reach the insignia, but I believe thats not the case with his collar.

So to answer your question, yes I would wait.

Thanks for that! I waited about a month for the cape, so not excited about redoubling that wait, but I think the thing that puts me over the top on the decision to wait (in addition to not having to cut up the stock collar and hope for the best) is the way Tony's custom covers the tears in the suit shoulders from removing the under collar, and the way it comes together beautifully in the back. Makes the mod look like a factory job even when you lift the Cape off the shoulders. Those pics you found and posted were a big help! Thanks again.

Thanks for that! I waited about a month for the cape, so not excited about redoubling that wait, but I think the thing that puts me over the top on the decision to wait (in addition to not having to cut up the stock collar and hope for the best) is the way Tony's custom covers the tears in the suit shoulders from removing the under collar, and the way it comes together beautifully in the back. Makes the mod look like a factory job even when you lift the Cape off the shoulders. Those pics you found and posted were a big help! Thanks again.

All good man :hi5: Glad I could be of some help :)

I've had this figure for a while, but left it stock since I didn't like the idea of modding the cape/collar and having the back of the suit all torn up. I changed my mind after seeing Tony's custom collar. Finally bit the bullet and purchased Tony Mei's cape/collar set after he announced itd be his final run. Needless to say, the mod makes this figure look SO MUCH better. Hard to explain how lowering the collar a few millimeters can make such a drastic difference, but it just does :) Here are a few before and after shots.

Before:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Collar installed:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg
image.jpg

A few quick tips for anyone who's gonna install Tony's collar:
-Be careful when removing the stock collar. The suit will unavoidably tear, but you want to make sure to not have rips extend to areas that Tony's collar won't cover. This is especially true in the back of the suit.
-When gluing on the custom collar, start at the front first. Once that is glued/secured exactly where you want it, you'll then want to glue the back of the collar down. By securing the front and back first, the collar will be perfectly centered. The sides will then take care of themselves.
-When gluing down the back of the collar, if you have rips that the custom collar won't cover, you have some room to play with by pushing up the suit. Push the fabric up until the collar covers the area of concern, then glue the collar in place.
-Don't trim any of the suit off until you're done gluing the collar down. Seems pretty obvious, but I've seen others try to trim down before gluing, and that just leaves less room for error.
-As for glue, I used regular "loctite" liquid super glue. You just have to be very careful to not apply too much or it will run out of the seams or will soak straight through the suit and glue it to the body.

Hope these tips help someone out there and good luck! :hi5:

I've had this figure for a while, but left it stock since I didn't like the idea of modding the cape/collar and having the back of the suit all torn up. I changed my mind after seeing Tony's custom collar. Finally bit the bullet and purchased Tony Mei's cape/collar set after he announced itd be his final run. Needless to say, the mod makes this figure look SO MUCH better. Hard to explain how lowering the collar a few millimeters can make such a drastic difference, but it just does :) Here are a few before and after shots.

Before:
View attachment 161590
View attachment 161592
View attachment 161593

Collar installed:
View attachment 161595
View attachment 161603
View attachment 161604
View attachment 161607

After:
View attachment 161609
View attachment 161610

A few quick tips for anyone who's gonna install Tony's collar:
-Be careful when removing the stock collar. The suit will unavoidably tear, but you want to make sure to not have rips extend to areas that Tony's collar won't cover. This is especially true in the back of the suit.
-When gluing on the custom collar, start at the front first. Once that is glued/secured exactly where you want it, you'll then want to glue the back of the collar down. By securing the front and back first, the collar will be perfectly centered. The sides will then take care of themselves.
-When gluing down the back of the collar, if you have rips that the custom collar won't cover, you have some room to play with by pushing up the suit. Push the fabric up until the collar covers the area of concern, then glue the collar in place.
-Don't trim any of the suit off until you're done gluing the collar down. Seems pretty obvious, but I've seen others try to trim down before gluing, and that just leaves less room for error.
-As for glue, I used regular "loctite" liquid super glue. You just have to be very careful to not apply too much or it will run out of the seams or will soak straight through the suit and glue it to the body.

Hope these tips help someone out there and good luck! :hi5:

Thanks a million, Saigon! As you can see from my quote above, the look of the suit after the mod using Tony's collar is what made the final decision to wait on his collar for me. Really appreciate the additional tips to. My TM collar is still a couple of weeks away, I'm guessing, but I'll put you ideas to good use when it come in.

Thanks again!
-QGF

Back