1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops...correction...the paints I used for this mod are lacquer paints, not enamel. Makes perfect sense since it dries pretty fast which I like. Enamel can take days, to even a week to completely cure.

Not really sure why you're not having any success with your paint. Do you have a pic of your mod flaking?
Maybe the location...too humid in your area? Paint type, brand?
Owen started this mod back in March. He's had a version 2, and not too long ago, a version 3 with the difference in colors.
The fact that he takes commission and continues to use these paints makes me believe he doesn't have any issues your having.
Also, if you know Elvis1976's work, you'll see he's done numerous customs of repainting suits.
Such as his comicbook style wolverine to be specific using resident evil battle suit Jill.
I've never heard any of his custom's paint flaking.

These hobby paints are made specially for plastics, so the fact that the suit is plastic makes this a benefit.
I have confidence these won't flake out. I've painted long enough to know when something is not adhering to the surface well, and a quick scratch with the fingernail once dry can scratch it off.
Not so with these paint on this suit. It's definitely bonded to the suit.

It takes time for the issues to develop. If you notice I wrote years.

Also, I wrote acrylic will cause flaking. Enamel and laq will/can cause suit degradation. So if u use acrylic you have one issue. Laq/enamel another. And if you do it perfectly you may not get the degradation, or might be in one small spot. My post was (my initial post) was meant as a heads up to people just thinking slapping on some paint. If you have not done a fair amount of painting you can easily damage your fairly high (for an action figure) priced collectables.

And hobby paints are designed for hobby projects. The only real difference in them compared to products of the same base (acrylic/enamel/laq) is the amount and/or size of the pigment. The chem make up is virtually the same. More or less. And laq paint is the harshest. It will melt plastics. It's why acrylic paints come in cheap plastic containers and enamel and laq come in glass. If they sit and pool in a plastic they will dissolve it.

Anyway, my point has been that customizing a suit can cause issues. Sometimes issues that take time to develop or appear.

And I am offering to paint a suit if someone wants, just charge actual cost, but can't/wont promise that after five years you won't see some issues. That's all. It may not ever be an issue if you do it right and have a bit of luck on your side..but you may.

Btw, how long do people expect their collectibles to last? A lifetime? Or you'd be fine with a certain period of time before it degrades? I'm fine with 5-10 years lol. Restoration might be fun.

For me it depends on what it is, what its made from and how much I paid. But for most stuff I expect a min of 25 years. That's for static stuff. Or stuff with limited use and no mechanics. Like statues, figures, ect. But I do hope for a lifetime on most collectible.

It looks awesome. Damn. Would definitely do it if I had the skillz. Lol.

Nice Shep custom btw! Getting the threezero one?

It looks awesome. Damn. Would definitely do it if I had the skillz. Lol.

Nice Shep custom btw! Getting the threezero one?

Thank you Chrono. :duff
The Threezero is pretty sweet but I put a lot of elbow grease making this one and I'm content with it.
Shepard's outfit in the game was fully customizable, and that's actually where I got the idea to use the Ironman suit.
On one of the campaigns I was playing, I was changing his outfit and thought, kinda looks like an Ironman suit. lol.
I'm just gonna stick with this custom. I am gonna upgrade the headsculpt though with the Custom Shepard head that Woodrob's team is gonna offer in the Custom's Interest Thread.

That's a pretty good looking head sculpt. Replicating an exact face is so hard. They seem to have done a great job.

Your iron man/Shepard custom is pretty good as well. I thought about doing the same thing, even picked up an iron man body. But, couldn't bring myself to do it(the iron man hot toys stuff is my fav). I had added a shep statue to my list of projects but when the three zero one was announced I figured I'd pick it up first and see how it looks.

I did a shep n7 armor costume for a friend a few years back. I'd never played the game when he asked so I went and bought them for "research". Lol one of my fav universes and games of all time now. Looking forward to the new one on ps4.

Anyway...I ordered another MOS suit and I'll get it customized. That way I can back up part of what I was saying. Then if anyone wants it they can let me know.

...Your iron man/Shepard custom is pretty good as well. I thought about doing the same thing, even picked up an iron man body. But, couldn't bring myself to do it(the iron man hot toys stuff is my fav). I had added a shep statue to my list of projects but when the three zero one was announced I figured I'd pick it up first and see how it looks.

I did a shep n7 armor costume for a friend a few years back. I'd never played the game when he asked so I went and bought them for "research". Lol one of my fav universes and games of all time now. Looking forward to the new one on ps4.

Indeed, it is also one of my best experience ever playing a game.
Bioware crafted an amazing world, rich with great characters. Looking forward to the next game.

Great repaint! That's what Hot Toys should have given us. One suggestion though, maybe darken the cape. Looks more of a maroonish color.

Thank you very much, and thanks for the suggestion. :duff

Unless the next Cavill HS is absolutely killer, I don't know how HT's BvS Supes could surpass Remy's repaint.

This headsculpt is gonna be hard to beat...a couple of pics of mine (for fun-I really need to dust)
20141211_231313.jpg

20141211_223520.jpg

Sure bud, couple more pics. :)

Really GREAT stuff, Remy! The shot I included above is my favorite of the new batch. An angle we don't see all of the time. Looks terrific!

I did some hacking to get your home address and I've sent my figure to you this morning for the Remy customization job. I taped some money to his forehead, let me know if its enough.

You're a great guy, Thanks!

-QGF

You are right about the hs being top notch. Very well done.

As for the next figure...I think it could be a little better because the suit is better. IMO. It's a much cleaner design. Not as busy.

Unless the next Cavill HS is absolutely killer, I don't know how HT's BvS Supes could surpass Remy's repaint.

Oh wow...Thank you so much man, that's a huge compliment. :1-1:

Really GREAT stuff, Remy! The shot I included above is my favorite of the new batch. An angle we don't see all of the time. Looks terrific!

I did some hacking to get your home address and I've sent my figure to you this morning for the Remy customization job. I taped some money to his forehead, let me know if its enough.

You're a great guy, Thanks!

-QGF

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl
Oh man, I literally had tears running down my face laughing reading that.
Yeah, I love that angle also. Just really shows how great the sculpt is at any angle.
Some sculpts have the likeness down but only at certain angles, but Yulli really nailed down this sculpt.
Definitely one of the best sculpts by Hot Toys.

Can you guys help with with this please, I was taking the boots out of the figure and suddenly one of the pegs didn't stick in the boot and fell off, the problem is that it won't go back in the boot! I've tried to push it gently and with force but no luck at all
60897b6d50adbae922f290f1081c1a20.jpg

Nothing is broken from the look of it, just the peg won't stick in the boot socket! Any solutions?

Can you guys help with with this please, I was taking the boots out of the figure and suddenly one of the pegs didn't stick in the boot and fell off, the problem is that it won't go back in the boot! I've tried to push it gently and with force but no luck at all

Nothing is broken from the look of it, just the peg won't stick in the boot socket! Any solutions?

Use a set of needle nosed pliers to put the peg back in place. *Then* push the leg down into place. The leg is *tight* to get all the way down onto the boots.
It will fit with the peg on the boot already.

Use a set of needle nosed pliers to put the peg back in place. *Then* push the leg down into place. The leg is *tight* to get all the way down onto the boots.
It will fit with the peg on the boot already.

Thanks for replying, I just tried it and the peg sticks only on the leg I pushed it very hard to get it to the boot but still no luck!

Back