1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that once these eventually sell out and the cinematic DC Universe is firmly established that the value of these will likely soar especially in regards to Zod and Jor El. Add to the fact that they're actually really phenomenal HT figures.

I too was hoping for another MOS outing before shoehorning any DC characters in, however the idea of prompt team-ups has grown on me. And while the Nolan films were fairly good many Batman fans are hoping for a more heavily comic inspired adaptation of the character, which IMO was somewhat lacking in Nolan and Bales contribution. Hopefully BvS seals the deal on a DC cinematic universe upon release.

I sure hope you're right, Azreal! Nothing would make me happier than a great launch for the new DC universe. And I'd like to see them sign Cavill to a 20 year contract and set him up as THE Superman for the foreseeable future. Really like this guy in the role.

Any you are 100% right about this figures. They are really incredibly well done. I don't have Zod yet, but I may have to cave...

Your prediction that the franchise is doomed.... or that at $700 million the movie was only a marginal hit...

I think the franchise can survive a less than perfect first movie (I'm thinking of SvB as the first of the Justice League movies), but I just think they are trying to accomplish an awful lot with this first step. So I think my worry is that SvB is going to have a serious uphill battle.

As for the movie being a marginal hit, there's no question that the relaunch of cinematic Superman brought with it a lot of excitement. So a LOT of people went to see it. The issue is that for those that made it to the theatre, the reviews were decidedly mixed (having received a 55% on both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, and a 7.3 out of 10 on IMDb) which echoes a lot of what I've heard friends and fans say. Since we were speculating on why the HT figures don't appear to be moving as well as hoped/expected, we're thinking in terms of what people thought after leaving the movie house rather than box office returns.

At any rate, I'm still hoping for the best for future Supes movies. I don't want them to blow it (again). And while I expect SvB to do significantly better box office than MoS ever did, that doesn't mean it'll be any good. This movie has to do SO many things REALLY well to work, and that is a lot to ask of any movie. Who knows, though? I hope its incredible...

I think the bad sales are mostly due to Hot Toys screwing up with the MOS Bulky Body and then re-releasing it with a body that's not quite 1/6 scale. Once stuff like this gets reported people tend to stay away from it... That's mainly why your seeing a fire sale on the MOS figures.

After seeing Owen's MOS repaint, I got another HT MOS awhile back but put it in the backburner.
After getting the Sideshow MOS PF which has an amazing suit, I was inspired to finally repaint the suit.
I used the previous head with the darkened hair.
other mods include repaint of the belt, gauntlets, cape holder, Corrose's MOS decal for stand, and Tony Meis cape.

After seeing Owen's MOS repaint, I got another HT MOS awhile back but put it in the backburner.
After getting the Sideshow MOS PF which has an amazing suit, I was inspired to finally repaint the suit.
I used the previous head with the darkened hair.
other mods include repaint of the belt, gauntlets, cape holder, Corrose's MOS decal for stand, and Tony Meis cape.

MOS_12-9-14---5A_zpse44ab1e2.jpg

Looks really great, Remy! do you mind sharing with us the materials/technique you used to darken up the suit?

How do you get paint to adhere to the suit? It looks sweet for sure. I second request if you could provide technique used on suit?

That looks friggin' great! :clap

Looks really great, Remy! do you mind sharing with us the materials/technique you used to darken up the suit?

How do you get paint to adhere to the suit? It looks sweet for sure. I second request if you could provide technique used on suit?

Thanks guys. :)
@ Superman-Prime...I'm not sure, but I believe the suit is some form of plastic material, the paint actually adheres the suit really well.
I normally use waterbased acrylic, but I really love Owen's MOS repaint so I followed his method.

I first used a surfacer black, mixed with thinner.
Painted the suit, then let it dry for a couple of hours.

then I used this Gaia 044 clear blue, mixed with thinner...then put a little EX-07 Silver in it.

I'm currently at work so I cant sompletely verify til I get home, but I believe this is the thinner I used.

For the belt, I used vallejo acrylic "brass" color.

Last edited:
Yeah....yeah, mmm-hmmm. So when can I send you my suit?

lol, as much as I would love to take your money, I'm always worried about taking any commissions for fear of butchering the figure.
At least if I screw it up, its my figure. :lol
I was really worried about doing this mod that's why I didnt do it til I after I got my 2nd figure cause I didnt want to ruin my original modded figure.
But honestly though, if you have any painting skills at all, this was actually much easier than I anticipated cause the suit took the paint really well. My worry specially since using enamel was the paint gonna look thick and uneven in some areas.
Not at all. Just make sure you mix the paint with thinner so the paint isnt thick.

I really was surprised how it turned out cause Owen used airbrush...I've never used those so I just used regular brush.
But the paint adhered to the suit extremely well, that it was pretty easy to apply.

Did you air brush or just use regular brush..also how much thinner did you use...thx in advance Remy.

Just regular brush.
I kinda just gauged putting thinner in there as I didnt have any dropper.
I used one of these paint plate, put paint in there and slowly put thinner and mix to make sure the paint isnt thick.

Last edited:
lol, as much as I would love to take your money, I'm always worried about taking any commissions for fear of butchering the figure.
At least if I screw it up, its my figure. :lol
I was really worried about doing this mod that's why I didnt do it til I after I got my 2nd figure cause I didnt want to ruin my original modded figure.
But honestly though, if you have any painting skills at all, this was actually much easier than I anticipated cause the suit took the paint really well. My worry specially since using enamel was the paint gonna look thick and uneven in some areas.
Not at all. Just make sure you mix the paint with thinner so the paint isnt thick.

I really was surprised how it turned out cause Owen used airbrush...I've never used those so I just used regular brush.
But the paint adhered to the suit extremely well, that it was pretty easy to apply.

Just regular brush.
I kinda just gauged putting thinner in there as I didnt have any dropper.
I used one of these paint plate, put paint in there and slowly put thinner and mix to make sure the paint isnt thick.

Thanks, Remy! I think we're going to need HUNDREDS more pictures, though...:lol:pray::pray::lol

Brilliant result, love how it turned out :D a whole new figure to another level of finest :D

Thank you very much Tony.
And thank you also for the cape. This figure would look nowhere near as good without your cape. :1-1:

Thanks, Remy! I think we're going to need HUNDREDS more pictures, though...:lol:pray::pray::lol

I kinda wished I would have taken some WIP pics. :)

Great mod. Only issue I see is that due to that paint method the suit will either deteriorate or the paint will flake. I bought an extra suit myself to darken when I bought my MOS and I found that I had both issues after a few months. The way it's done from the factory the plastic is colored not painted. (The suit). So if u want it done its easy enough if u can paint. I can do another one up if someone wants to see it. But you can't pose it much after you paint it. And chances are the suit will eventually have issues. I have seen full body (no feet, boots, hands, head) for sale a few place pretty reasonable so if someone really wants it done if be willing to do it. Just keep in mind what I said about the paint issues.

Great mod. Only issue I see is that due to that paint method the suit will either deteriorate or the paint will flake. I bought an extra suit myself to darken when I bought my MOS and I found that I had both issues after a few months. The way it's done from the factory the plastic is colored not painted. (The suit). So if u want it done its easy enough if u can paint. I can do another one up if someone wants to see it. But you can't pose it much after you paint it. And chances are the suit will eventually have issues. I have seen full body (no feet, boots, hands, head) for sale a few place pretty reasonable so if someone really wants it done if be willing to do it. Just keep in mind what I said about the paint issues.

Did you use acrylic or enamel?
I think that may have a factor with it. Acrylic is waterbased, while enamel is oil based.
I normally use acrylic since its easier to use and not as messy...and simply use water to dilute the paint.
Enamel is not as easy to use since its oil based and you have to use paint thinner.

This was a factor I thought of actually before I did the mod since I've always had great success using acrylic.
I also have the same colors in acrylic.
Owen has done 3 versions now and I dont think he has had any issues of paint flaking, that's why I decided to not play it safe and use enamel.
That is also why you apply the surfacer first, its not just for color, but from what I read, a base coat of surfacer acts like a primer (SURFACE R)...so the paint adheres to it better.

Last edited:
I used acrylic mostly. Which is why it flakes. It doesn't bond with the plastic.

So I tried enamel and laquer based when the acrylic flaked. Either way it causes an issue.

If you leave it static and get lucky (water and moisture in the air, dust, ect not effecting it) you may be ok for awhile. But eventually the acrylic paint will peel or flake. It's why the color is added to the plastic chemically before its harden in the die. (More or less..it's a bit more complex but that's the jist) a standard paint won't hold. You may be able to get a dye or ink to saturate but that runs the risk of degrading the material as well. I wouldn't mind trying if there's a market or if someone really wants a suit mod. But for my suit im cool with the stock version mostly. Wasn't worth me trying a bunch of stuff then having the MOS 2 suit be darker and or more screen true lol. Since I didnt mind the color it wasn't a huge deal for me. I tried with a few paints and then forgot about it.

But if anyone really wants one let me know. I can do it. Just can't be positive how long it will hold up. Maybe a year, maybe five. Depends on how you handle it

And u r correct mostly with how the paint works. The surfacer acts like a primer. It bonds to the suit, then the paint to the surfacer. But it's not a permanent bond. And the paint isn't bonded to the suit at all. I've painted a lot. I spend probably 5 hours a day painting. Maybe more. I do statues, props, cars, right now I'm even doing a custom respray on a friends Harley. I sculpt a bit, manufacturer some. Do prop work and costumes(on top of the many other things I've tried or do as hobbies like photography and cinematography and management and my old day job in the Marine Corps too before I was medically retired I have tried and done lots of jobs I guess now that I look back. Geez. ). But what I do most is paint. I actually have a brush in between my teeth right now so I can free my hands to type. Lol anyway...eventually the paint won't stay on. Not if all you do is acrylic or enamel brush paint on a costume. At least not in the seems/joints. Or I should say especially not in those areas. Plastics and rubbers are about the hardest things to paint.

Last edited:
I used acrylic mostly. Which is why it flakes. It doesn't bond with the plastic.

So I tried enamel and laquer based when the acrylic flaked. Either way it causes an issue.

If you leave it static and get lucky (water and moisture in the air, dust, ect not effecting it) you may be ok for awhile. But eventually the acrylic paint will peel or flake. It's why the color is added to the plastic chemically before its harden in the die. (More or less..it's a bit more complex but that's the jist) a standard paint won't hold. You may be able to get a dye or ink to saturate but that runs the risk of degrading the material as well. I wouldn't mind trying if there's a market or if someone really wants a suit mod. But for my suit im cool with the stock version mostly. Wasn't worth me trying a bunch of stuff then having the MOS 2 suit be darker and or more screen true lol. Since I didnt mind the color it wasn't a huge deal for me. I tried with a few paints and then forgot about it.

But if anyone really wants one let me know. I can do it. Just can't be positive how long it will hold up. Maybe a year, maybe five. Depends on how you handle it

And u r correct mostly with how the paint works. The surfacer acts like a primer. It bonds to the suit, then the paint to the surfacer. But it's not a permanent bond. And the paint isn't bonded to the suit at all. I've painted a lot. I spend probably 5 hours a day painting. Maybe more. I do statues, props, cars, right now I'm even doing a custom respray on a friends Harley. I sculpt a bit, manufacturer some. Do prop work and costumes(on top of the many other things I've tried or do as hobbies like photography and cinematography and management and my old day job in the Marine Corps too before I was medically retired I have tried and done lots of jobs I guess now that I look back. Geez. ). But what I do most is paint. I actually have a brush in between my teeth right now so I can free my hands to type. Lol anyway...eventually the paint won't stay on. Not if all you do is acrylic or enamel brush paint on a costume. At least not in the seems/joints. Or I should say especially not in those areas. Plastics and rubbers are about the hardest things to paint.

Oops...correction...the paints I used for this mod are lacquer paints, not enamel. Makes perfect sense since it dries pretty fast which I like. Enamel can take days, to even a week to completely cure.

Not really sure why you're not having any success with your paint. Do you have a pic of your mod flaking?
Maybe the location...too humid in your area? Paint type, brand?
Owen started this mod back in March. He's had a version 2, and not too long ago, a version 3 with the difference in colors.
The fact that he takes commission and continues to use these paints makes me believe he doesn't have any issues your having.
Also, if you know Elvis1976's work, you'll see he's done numerous customs of repainting suits.
Such as his comicbook style wolverine to be specific using resident evil battle suit Jill.
I've never heard any of his custom's paint flaking.

These hobby paints are made specially for plastics, so the fact that the suit is plastic makes this a benefit.
I have confidence these won't flake out. I've painted long enough to know when something is not adhering to the surface well, and a quick scratch with the fingernail once dry can scratch it off.
Not so with these paint on this suit. It's definitely bonded to the suit.

Back