Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: TIE Pilot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the 9 day notice. I ordered with last months code. As with Wor-Gar I'm waiting for a Jan code to use on Kylo.

Just saw this in glorious 65mm IMAX and was blown away all over again by the Falcon chase on Jakku. After the VFX guy said that one of the TIE pilot ejects I was really looking hard and figured on that large of a screen I'd see him but nope. I figure it has to be the first TIE that crashes (Special Forces) but my eye always goes to that damn scavenger running in the sand while the cockpit is bouncing around and that's probably the one millisecond the pilot is visible. :lol

I was surprised that the seat just uses a parachute to land. I figured the seat would use thrusters or something since crazy technology and all.

I was surprised that the seat just uses a parachute to land. I figured the seat would use thrusters or something since crazy technology and all.

In the novel the ejector seat is much more robust, safety-wise. I'll have to go back and reread but I believe there's some sort of airbag or foam and an intricate safety harness that Finn has to struggle to get out of. I can't recall but there may have been mention of thrusters softening the landing. I'll update in a minute.

No mention of thrusters but I think the idea is that the occupant gets safely enclosed in foam to keep them safe on impact. Here's the excerpt:

“It felt to Finn as if it took him longer to escape from the confines of the encapsulated, ejected gunner’s seat than it had to travel from plunging fighter to planetary surface. The clips and buckles, braces and foam that were intended to set him down in one piece now seemed designed to prevent him from ever emerging onto his own two feet. There was a sequence that had to be followed—first this control, then this button, then slide this to unlock—before the gear could be convinced to let him go. Or rather, he thought frantically, to let go of him.”

Excerpt From: Alan Dean Foster. “The Force Awakens (Star Wars)

Last edited:
Opened him up earlier, really, really beautiful figure. Simple but incredibly well made, the flight suit is one of the coolest bit of 1/6 tailoring I've ever seen.

Badass.

Rory, are the lenses translucent or painted opaque? i can't really tell from the promo pics. The hose is permanently attached to the helmet and chest box, correct? Visor is fixed in place?

How is the ankle articulation? Is it similar to Kylo Ren where they went with a pliable boot and longer ankle barbells?

Really looking forward to getting this in a couple weeks. Should look great paired up with the other TFA Stormies.

Feel free to share some pics, possible with Kylo and any other TFA figs.

Thanks.

In the novel the ejector seat is much more robust, safety-wise. I'll have to go back and reread but I believe there's some sort of airbag or foam and an intricate safety harness that Finn has to struggle to get out of. I can't recall but there may have been mention of thrusters softening the landing. I'll update in a minute.

No mention of thrusters but I think the idea is that the occupant gets safely enclosed in foam to keep them safe on impact. Here's the excerpt:

“It felt to Finn as if it took him longer to escape from the confines of the encapsulated, ejected gunner’s seat than it had to travel from plunging fighter to planetary surface. The clips and buckles, braces and foam that were intended to set him down in one piece now seemed designed to prevent him from ever emerging onto his own two feet. There was a sequence that had to be followed—first this control, then this button, then slide this to unlock—before the gear could be convinced to let him go. Or rather, he thought frantically, to let go of him.”

Excerpt From: Alan Dean Foster. “The Force Awakens (Star Wars)

Pity the novelization is a steaming pile of bantha poodoo.

Glad to see he's shopping so soon. I was holding out on a coupon but decided to burn $47 in rewards on him. He looks so great. Excited to get him soon.

Rory, are the lenses translucent or painted opaque? i can't really tell from the promo pics. The hose is permanently attached to the helmet and chest box, correct? Visor is fixed in place?

How is the ankle articulation? Is it similar to Kylo Ren where they went with a pliable boot and longer ankle barbells?

Really looking forward to getting this in a couple weeks. Should look great paired up with the other TFA Stormies.

Feel free to share some pics, possible with Kylo and any other TFA figs.

Thanks.

The lenses are translucent. You wouldn't really notice unless you et some light through them, but they are translucent. Hose is permanently attached (well I'm sure you can pull if off, but you are not supposed to), Ankles not the best because of the sculpted boots (like Kylo), but the rest of the figures articulation is pretty much perfect due to the flight suit.
It's a tremendous figure in hand.

The lenses are translucent. You wouldn't really notice unless you et some light through them, but they are translucent. Hose is permanently attached (well I'm sure you can pull if off, but you are not supposed to), Ankles not the best because of the sculpted boots (like Kylo), but the rest of the figures articulation is pretty much perfect due to the flight suit.
It's a tremendous figure in hand.

The lens are the same with the SS OT Pilot. Everyone thought it was a lazy paint over but they are in fact translucent as well. I think the two generations of pilots are going to look great together.

3 days.... no pictures.... internet fail.

I'm not the slightest bit worried with this fig. The other troopers so far have turned out fantastic and this one doesn't have the restrictive rubber arms the others have (I know the fat suit is being blamed but really its a combo of the fat suit and the rubber). Besides, I'm not planning an action pose anyway. From a purely aesthetic point of view, this is my favorite figure from TFA.

Not worried. Don't have this on order. I just want to see yummy pictures.

I am still teetering on this figure though -- this is probably my favorite figure from a 'realization' standpoint out of the HT TFA line so far.

Not worried. Don't have this on order. I just want to see yummy pictures.

I am still teetering on this figure though -- this is probably my favorite figure from a 'realization' standpoint out of the HT TFA line so far.

I'll post pics for sure when I get mine, but since it will prob come UPS from Hong Kong, it'll probably be 2 1/2 weeks before I have it.

Back