1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars: Episode IV - Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know what you are talking about. Yes, the prototype was different from the final product. However, as you can see, with a little patience, you can tweak the final product to satisfaction

It's really the best I've seen. Too bad you don't do commissions on those..

Thanks, it is all about texture and slight color variations. Little red splotches and dots are your friend here then create a little beard growth. The rest is shadows. I created the illusion of slightly asymmetrical parted lips with black paint and a tiny brush. Scratching with a needle and a black pencil created the frown.

An online tutorial would be a great gift to the rest of us! I was inspired by your Han paint up to try and repaint a Sideshow Hoth Han head (not the exclusive but the face from inside the hat and muffler) and it came out looking terrible. I stripped the paint off and tried again, but again the skin ended up looking like pink mousse. More detailed instructions would help people like me to internalise, for example, the amount of time you take over a coat of paint or exactly how you apply the brush to the face so that we don't paint too quickly or use larger brushstrokes that mitigate against detail. Similarly how do you mix the paint to get a flesh tone rather than a 'latte' or 'strawberry ice cream' complexion?

Anyway, I know you're busy building Death Stars but if you ever did a paint tutorial it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I know you're busy building Death Stars but if you ever did a paint tutorial it would be much appreciated.

Indeed that would be a ways off, because I have a lot of commissions waiting for me as well. And this is not my day job. Anyway, forget paint, and try finding some really good quality watercolor pencils, those are a great way for a beginner to start because they offer a lot more control, then you can seal it with a matte Vallejo lacquer.
I still use watercolor pencils for some stuff. I have Faber-Castell, but I've also heard good things about Prismacolor and Derwent inktense. You can use them dry, you can blend them, and with just a little bit of water, you can get different textures and shades as well

Last edited:
Indeed that would be a ways off, because I have a lot of commissions waiting for me as well. And this is not my day job. Anyway, forget paint, and try finding some really good quality watercolor pencils, those are a great way for a beginner to start because they offer a lot more control, then you can seal it with a matte Vallejo lacquer.
I still use watercolor pencils for some stuff. I have Faber-Castell, but I've also heard good things about Prismacolor and Derwent inktense. You can use them dry, you can blend them, and with just a little bit of water, you can get different textures and shades as well

Thanks Jazz, I will enjoy printing this off and taking it to my local art shop to use as a shopping list. Do you do painting commissions then?

If they keep the smiling face then I'll definitely use the smugglers head on the tall trooper. Who even thinks that looks good?

Here is a close-up. Is it a 2.0?
f6bb1c2db7af17d299175d3c4d87a240.jpg

That before shot?! Did you're production sculpt really look that plain? Mine looks light years better than that! No wonder you repainted it:horror

That before shot of Jazz's is what I see when I look at the Han on my shelf. That's why I ordered Jnix's sculpt. It's amazing the transformation Jazz got with his repaint though.

That before shot of Jazz's is what I see when I look at the Han on my shelf. That's why I ordered Jnix's sculpt. It's amazing the transformation Jazz got with his repaint though.

I actually think it was the needle work (poking lots pores, tweaking lips etc) that seems to have elevated it as much as the paint.

I actually think it was the needle work (poking lots pores, tweaking lips etc) that seems to have elevated it as much as the paint.

I bet you're right. I was surprised at the lack of detail on Han's sculpt when I got the set. Kinda reminded me of the soft SS sculpts from ten years ago. That's why Jnix's custom appealed to me. It has some nice detailing to it among other things.

I bet you're right. I was surprised at the lack of detail on Han's sculpt when I got the set. Kinda reminded me of the soft SS sculpts from ten years ago. That's why Jnix's custom appealed to me. It has some nice detailing to it among other things.

Yeah, it was one of the reasons I resold Han (then regretted it, then didn't regret it when they re-released him.:lol)

It was almost like there was a slight mold problem - you look at the detail on that old han (though I guess he has more wrinkles and "character" to show.)

Yeah, it was one of the reasons I resold Han (then regretted it, then didn't regret it when they re-released him.:lol)

It was almost like there was a slight mold problem - you look at the detail on that old han (though I guess he has more wrinkles and "character" to show.)

Well, I'd say let's wait on the final production of that one to see if it's as detailed as the proto

Can't believe hot toys is leaving luke buyers swinging d***. Wonder if there is any chance this gets announced anyway at comic con or celebration.

So how do we convince Jazz to repaint all of our head sculpts? Is there a special technique? Does it require money or we have to send him beer? I think if we all work together we can make it happen.

Can't believe hot toys is leaving luke buyers swinging d***. Wonder if there is any chance this gets announced anyway at comic con or celebration.

Yeah I was super disappointed to see that Han was not the exclusive this year. It won't be popular enough to for a regular release. Maybe he will be the Celebration exclusive like the Spacetrooper was last year. On the other hand maybe with old Han on the horizon Hot Toys decided that they did not want to release another Han at the same time.

Back