Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Suit-Up Gantry with and w/o Mk IV

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can somebody explain to HT how the Law of Demand works?

The Law of Demand
The law of demand states that, if all other factors remain equal, the higher the price of a good, the less people will demand that good. In other words, the higher the price, the lower the quantity demanded. The amount of a good that buyers purchase at a higher price is less because as the price of a good goes up, so does the opportunity cost of buying that good. As a result, people will naturally avoid buying a product that will force them to forgo the consumption of something else they value more.

I think the scariest part of the whole situation is to look back at the other hobbies/collectibles trends of the last 20+ years (comic books, baseball cards, ccg's, regular store-bought action figures).

They all formed a bubble and then imploded. When I was in my teens (in the 1990s), there was a ton of baseball card/comic book shops all over the place. Now, I don't even know where one is, but I've seen the vast majority of them come and go, which is sad.

I remember when people would wait in line in front of places like Toys R Us for the store to open so that they could buy out all of the Star Wars figures before they hit the shelves. Kids got none, collectors got all, because they were 'going to be worth big money later'.

Now, there are very, very few people that collect these things (at least compared to the number of a decade - or more - ago). 1/6 figures seem to be a new area of collectible that is gaining popularity daily. What killed the aforementioned hobbies (I believe) was a mixture of manufacturers and collectors. Customers, for the most part (and especially customers in a nerdy hobby like this), are viewed as cash registers. The company increases production and quality and price for a time, and at some time one of the three drops off dramatically (usually a saturated market of lower-quality product at an inflated price), and the hobby begins to fail.

I hope that this trend doesn't continue with 1/6 figures, but all the preliminary signs are in place. With the sheer number of awesome releases revealed at SDCC, and the price hikes that have followed, these could be major red flags about the future of the hobby. Or maybe not. Just saying.

Just look at SDCC. It used to be a big nerdy convention that you could buy tickets for in June. You would be there all day with fellow geeks. It would get coverage in the local papers and a few bytes on local television stations. Now it's a unbelievably giant event that sells out in days and attracts movie stars, Hollywood executives, massive television coverage from major networks home and abroad. You're standing next to a guy in a Stormtrooper suit to your left, and a guy in a three-piece suit to your right. And one of the MAJOR attractions at SDCC is the scaled figures. Great.

Sorry for the rant. I really want that f-ing gantry!

I think the scariest part of the whole situation is to look back at the other hobbies/collectibles trends of the last 20+ years (comic books, baseball cards, ccg's, regular store-bought action figures).

They all formed a bubble and then imploded. When I was in my teens (in the 1990s), there was a ton of baseball card/comic book shops all over the place. Now, I don't even know where one is, but I've seen the vast majority of them come and go, which is sad.

I remember when people would wait in line in front of places like Toys R Us for the store to open so that they could buy out all of the Star Wars figures before they hit the shelves. Kids got none, collectors got all, because they were 'going to be worth big money later'.

Now, there are very, very few people that collect these things (at least compared to the number of a decade - or more - ago). 1/6 figures seem to be a new area of collectible that is gaining popularity daily. What killed the aforementioned hobbies (I believe) was a mixture of manufacturers and collectors. Customers, for the most part (and especially customers in a nerdy hobby like this), are viewed as cash registers. The company increases production and quality and price for a time, and at some time one of the three drops off dramatically (usually a saturated market of lower-quality product at an inflated price), and the hobby begins to fail.

I hope that this trend doesn't continue with 1/6 figures, but all the preliminary signs are in place. With the sheer number of awesome releases revealed at SDCC, and the price hikes that have followed, these could be major red flags about the future of the hobby. Or maybe not. Just saying.

Just look at SDCC. It used to be a big nerdy convention that you could buy tickets for in June. You would be there all day with fellow geeks. It would get coverage in the local papers and a few bytes on local television stations. Now it's a unbelievably giant event that sells out in days and attracts movie stars, Hollywood executives, massive television coverage from major networks home and abroad. You're standing next to a guy in a Stormtrooper suit to your left, and a guy in a three-piece suit to your right. And one of the MAJOR attractions at SDCC is the scaled figures. Great.

:goodpost:

I feel the same, if they release too many at once, all with above average prices, customers will have to cut down and cut down and soon HT will push people away and their consumer base will fold and they'll go bust.

I too also REALLY F___ING want that gantry.

Ok, so I am on the same boat as most of the people here. I want it but as of now it's just too damn expensive. With that being said, this is set to be released on April 2012 (according to https://www.hottoys.jp). If every month, for 9 months, you put away $40 bucks you will have enough to buy the Gantry when it comes out. Realistically, that's not a lot of money that you have to save. That's how much I spend on candy alone (I'm 25 years old, by the way... oh and not obese).

So hey, if you want that bad you can always start saving it up. I'm considering.

Ok, so I am on the same boat as most of the people here. I want it but as of now it's just too damn expensive. With that being said, this is set to be released on April 2012 (according to https://www.hottoys.jp). If every month, for 9 months, you put away $40 bucks you will have enough to buy the Gantry when it comes out. Realistically, that's not a lot of money that you have to save. That's how much I spend on candy alone (I'm 25 years old, by the way... oh and not obese).

So hey, if you want that bad you can always start saving it up. I'm considering.

I'm 26 and i still love sweets (what we call candy in the UK) :1-1:

Nothing wrong with candy! I lived off it for a week last year. :yess:

I love it too, but I love it $150-$175
At $360 I find it laughable. No brainer pass. The mark iv at $140 still chaps my a$$ a bit.
When the bubble does burst (and it always does) $360 retail on this gonna feel shameful
Then again I passed on all the HT preds cause I thought they looked bobbleheaded so wtf do I know
Now if you'll excuse be I have to go order Jake Sully :)

I really don't have an issue with the cost of the gantry w/ figure being $499 or $449 at AE. However, the original cost of the figure is $209 and the discount to $140 doesn't sit well with me. We all paid retail just months ago of around $209 or a bit less. The gantry without figure should absolutely not be more $289 or $259 discounted at certain places like AE taking into account it not having a $209 figure.
I want to return my donut box to Hot Toys for a $69 credit.........

I love it too, but I love it $150-$175
At $360 I find it laughable. No brainer pass. The mark iv at $140 still chaps my a$$ a bit.
When the bubble does burst (and it always does) $360 retail on this gonna feel shameful
Then again I passed on all the HT preds cause I thought they looked bobbleheaded so wtf do I know
Now if you'll excuse be I have to go order Jake Sully :)

:goodpost: :exactly::peace

This looks great, but with that said what's with HT and Iron Man? It easily has to have the most figs and now accessories than any other line.

Are you really surprised by this? Collect what you like, not for investment, and if you are collecting to flip then do it at the right time. Look at the stock market ups and downs and crashes, it's the name of the game. If you collect something you love and not to flip chances are you'll always be happy with your purchases and they'll make you happy when you admire them. If your thinking "I could have waited and got it cheaper years later" maybe, but you lose out on the experience here, talking and being excited with others in the moment and that is worth something in itself. Collect, be happy, and enjoy your bad ass collection. :hi5:

Back