1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Golden Age Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally swapped the bean headed stock sculpt on this figure for TWS dual pack Steve Rogers sculpt today to see what it looked like, after opting for the longest time to keep the diminutive stock sculpt on for diversity being that it has a different facial expression.

End result: Never going back to the stock sculpt again. TWS or AoU Steve Rogers sculpts are in perfect proportion with this figure. I have a new found admiration for this figure after switching sculpts.

Lol, I remember you posted several times of just keeping the stock head cause of the unique look.
Glad you finally came to your senses. :wink1:
I'm like you, I kept it stock for the longest time, cause I actually like the stock head and expression.
I think it still also has the best helmet out of all the helmets released so far cause it has a nice gloss finish to it.
But I'm very very certain the head shrank in production that's why we got a pinheaded version.

I kept looking at the figure with the stock head, and comparing it to the proto, which looked magnificent, and you can tell that the head is definitely smaller than the proto.
Everyone seemed to assume it was the suit that got bulky, but it was the head...its definitely is smaller than the proto.
He's shorter than the HT Man of Steel, but he is the same, body wise. And the stock GA head is actually smaller than the TFA head which is already a smaller scale captain america.
Here's mine next to MOS and you can see...they're pretty much the same size, bodywise.

This is definitely one of the cases where HT really blew it big time. Cant believe they released it like this.
But fortunately for us, we have the Evans sculpt or the other helmeted head to fall back on.
Once I changed it to Evans sculpt, the proportions are night and day.
I recently changed it the the helmeted AOU Cap, and it looks great. Never going back to the stock.

Haha. Yeah, the GA stock sculpt is the only Cap sculpt that has a different facial expression from any of the other sculpts, so that's why I kept it on for so long. And unless it's something that is just an utter abomination and an eyesore, I have the propensity to keep my figures stock straight out of the box.

I'm not sure what prompted me to switch the sculpt yesterday, but I just randomly thought I'd try it. Like you said, the difference is just absolutely night and day. Even if the stock GA sculpt was proportionate, I actually think I like the look of the GA figure with a Rogers sculpt instead, anyway. GA isn't a small figure, but like you said, even TFA sculpt is larger than the stock GA sculpt and TFA body is smaller than GA. So that's a testament as to just how bean headed the stock GA sculpt looked. Reminded me of the puppet (not sure of the puppet's name) on the Puppet Master that had the large body with the small head. :lol

Extremely glad that I made the switch, as it gave me a new found admiration for this figure. Not that I disliked it in the first place though.

image.jpgimage.jpg

That head sculpt definitely makes a big difference. If I ever get a GA Cap, that's the head sculpt I would use.

It really does. As much as I like this suit in full gear, the stock sculpt just really doesn't do it justice. This sculpt (TWS Rogers sculpt) or the AoU Rogers sculpt (both essentially the same sculpt) make a vast difference and gives the figure new life.

this captain America looks really cool. i liked the scene in the movie when he first appears wearing this costume. very cool

Yeah, it was a pretty inspiring scene.

If anyone's interested in getting rid of their Golden Age Cap head (the one with helmet on and open mouth) I'm interested in getting one. PM me please :)

I cut off the ears off a spare AOU head, and placed an ear cover I took off from a spare TFA helmeted head. And sculpted around it to make it look more seamless. I repainted that section including the helmet straps. I also glossed the helmet.
Still my personal favorite Cap movie costume.

I cut off the ears off a spare AOU head, and placed an ear cover I took off from a spare TFA helmeted head. And sculpted around it to make it look more seamless. I repainted that section including the helmet straps. I also glossed the helmet.
Come on, you couldn't post worse photos to show it off? :lol
Thank the mighty Photoshop!

k897i45j_zpse83hunq8.jpg

Very nicely done.

Looks great, man! :clap

Thanks buddy. :)

Come on, you couldn't post worse photos to show it off? :lol
Thank the mighty Photoshop!

k897i45j_zpse83hunq8.jpg

Very nicely done.

Lol...Thanks for the bigger pic.
I took the pic before leaving for work and on the camera screen, it looked ok, but when downloaded the pic to the pc,
it was too dark. But I was like...o well...they get the picture. he he. :lol

Looks great Remy. Any chance of a commission for this? I've got an extra Stealth Head Sculpt.

Thanks man.
Unfortunately, I don't do commissions as I only do the mods when I have time.
plus I also don't have a dremmel so I had to do the cutting with exacto knife. That part wasn't fun. Lol.
I really need to get a dremmel one of these days.

Thanks man.
Unfortunately, I don't do commissions as I only do the mods when I have time.
plus I also don't have a dremmel so I had to do the cutting with exacto knife. That part wasn't fun. Lol.
I really need to get a dremmel one of these days.

You know you can just take the helmet off, right?
It's made of the same pvc as the head so just dunk it in boiling water for a few minutes and peel it off. Once it's off, it might be slightly out of shape. So do the same with the helmet, then attach it to the head and run the whole thing under the cold water tap to make sure it's back in shape.
I have done a few like the one you pictured, for people here on the forum.
Taking the lid off makes it a lot easier.

800C320B-967D-479F-944C-06A245629C7C.jpg

1D93EC08-AD03-4921-91C0-2110EA5A1B9F.jpg

D8FD8321-B35A-42F4-93CC-99C24453C8B7.jpg

2514A8C0-66E3-48E8-B911-E3CDB68C1F23.jpg

980E24A1-9BBA-4EC7-90E7-013D215B59F3.jpg

B4451836-74FD-4FB3-9321-CB26C3C51796.jpg

You know you can just take the helmet off, right?
It's made of the same pvc as the head so just dunk it in boiling water for a few minutes and peel it off. Once it's off, it might be slightly out of shape. So do the same with the helmet, then attach it to the head and run the whole thing under the cold water tap to make sure it's back in shape.
I have done a few like the one you pictured, for people here on the forum.
Taking the lid off makes it a lot easier.

Now you tell me. Lol. Jk.
I see you sculpted the whole ear piece.

This is my first time to sculpt so I cut the core central ear piece off the first avenger helmet, and cut the ears off the AOU helmeted head until the ear pieces sits flushed on the ear section, glued it, and sculpted around it to make it all look one piece.
It was a very fun project and loved the final result, but the cutting off the ears part would have been a lot easier if I had a dremmel.
It was tedious process cutting and making sure not to cut too much by only using exacto knife.

Now you tell me. Lol. Jk.
I see you sculpted the whole ear piece.

Yeah. Not the tidiest piece of sculpting i ever did, but it didn't look bad on the figure.

This is my first time to sculpt so I cut the core central ear piece off the first avenger helmet, and cut the ears off the AOU helmeted head until the ear pieces sits flushed on the ear section, glued it, and sculpted around it to make it all look one piece.
It was a very fun project and loved the final result, but the cutting off the ears part would have been a lot easier if I had a dremmel.
It was tedious process cutting and making sure not to cut too much by only using exacto knife.

Yeah. It's easier with a Dremel or similar. You don't need to spend Dremel amounts of money to get a decent setup. This will last years and has everything you'll ever need:
Electric Grinding Set 110-230V AC 180W Drill Grinder 114x Accessories Kit WZ2C | eBay

Back