1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zed, that looks great. Exactly how I will display him. Can you see the green in his boots or is it minimal? I?ll throw the Endor gear on my chunky Luke.

To be honest, I've not even noticed any green on his boots so can't be noticeable if it is there, but will double check when I get home!

Oh yeah, slight green scuff on the toe of each boot. Very dark though and not easy to see from a normal viewing difference. Guess I will swap these out with my v1 boots, seeing as my v1 is now full on endor gear.

They did it. They finally did it. Hot Toys finally made a good OT Luke toy. The V2 body is slimmer and hence much better than fat V1. Both head sculpts are a cut above too. Comparing the V1 head sculpt to the same one from V2, there's a marked difference. There seems to be an extra coat of paint and far more detail. It finally looks like Luke, even though I wish he wasn't looking to the side.

I think the most disappointing thing for me about V1 Luke was the head sculpt. Just lacked detail. Dunno if they fixed it in later batches.

Anyway immensely satisfied. This set has a lot of play value too. Felt like a kid.

Yes, we shouldn't be rewarding Hot Toys for doing this ****, but I sold the original for a decent price on the classifieds without the robe.

Some quick cellphone pics. Will try with the lightbox later. The head sculpt just looks so much better in person than pictures and certainly has more detail than the first version.

20191226_035108.jpg
20191226_035230.jpg
20191226_035353.jpg
20191226_035412.jpg

Fixed the fold in his clothes near his belt after the pics. Gently detached the belt. Gently pulled down the shirt and stuffed in his pants. Gently used the end of the lightsaber to tuck in the top further and looks nearly perfect.

The real downside of this figure, at least for me, is him gazing sideways.

Yup, this will be the Jedi Luke I finally pick up. I love the changes HT made for this version. I always thought V1 was too fat and had a sad expression.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, slight green scuff on the toe of each boot. Very dark though and not easy to see from a normal viewing difference. Guess I will swap these out with my v1 boots, seeing as my v1 is now full on endor gear.
One could argue that since the throne room duel takes place after he goes to Endor, his boots would be dirty in the throne room too. I doubt Vader lets him clean his boots en route to the Death Star lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Isn’t the regular sculpt on this (the non gritted teeth one) the same sculpt as the single version though, just repainted to gaze to the right?

Yes it is.

Must admit that I'm a little bemused by the negative comparisons of the v2 to the v1 sculpt. It is the same head, and just a question of personal taste. There is no discernible quality difference between my v1 and v2 heads, just a different eye position.

The v1 would still be the head I kept if I had to keep one out of the three, and it's the one staying on my "hero" Luke.

Each to their own, but the "quality" of the paint job on the v2 is no BETTER than the v1, just a little......different. when you get more than 12 inches away from it, it's only eye direction.

I strongly disagree with that. When I took it out of the box I was frankly shocked by how much better a fresh paint app made the original sculpt look.

Yes it is.

Must admit that I'm a little bemused by the negative comparisons of the v2 to the v1 sculpt. It is the same head, and just a question of personal taste. There is no discernible quality difference between my v1 and v2 heads, just a different eye position.

The v1 would still be the head I kept if I had to keep one out of the three, and it's the one staying on my "hero" Luke.

Each to their own, but the "quality" of the paint job on the v2 is no better than the v1.

Look back through this thread. There's a real chance that your V1 sculpt and my V1 sculpt were different in terms of paint apps. I know several people and a reviewer who noticed that the paint job is better on the V2. The skin tone has more detail. It's not just the eye position.

However, there may have been a difference between the first and later batches of ROTJ Luke. Not only in terms of fat suit but in terms of the paint application of the headsculpt. I compared my Luke to a friend's, and we both noticed a difference. My Luke had come very early and he had bought his several months later. His was slimmer and the head sculpt looked better.

I?d be interested to see comparison pics between the V1 early batches nexts to later batches also next to V2. I?m wondering now which ones I have since I picked up two V1s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, honestly I cant comment on the V1 vs V2 as I dont have the V2 yet. But I was originally going to skip the V2 because I had assumed the V2 was just the same sculpt with the eyes painted to the side, but after seeing several in hand pics of the V2 I caved and had to order the Deluxe. I see a difference in the sculpt. I dont know what it is, but I see more of Hamill in the newer paint apps over the V1. I wasnt really "wowed" with the V1, but with the Deluxe side glance look I'm actually impressed.

Now Im just sitting here tapping my fingers waiting for SS to ship him out. Will be my first release of the new year...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As I said, each to their own, horses for courses and whatever floats your boat (etc).

I have them both in hand, and I prefer the v1.
Personal preference folks, other opinions are available and equally valid.

For note, see page 92 here for the pictures of my v1 head.

Back