1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Star Wars, but I don’t wave my hand at automatic doors or seclude myself from an entire fanbase, just because they irritate me. That’s a bit much.

And like maru, myself and others have already profusely expressed it’s the deleted scenes accessories in the deluxe that are the issue. The Jabba’s Palace Luke was only recently released. They intentionally left out an accessory to sell to us later at a “deal” with the deluxe. They may as well have left out his lightsaber on the previous release as well, since he didn’t use it until the battle on the sail barge.

Yeah, I think Rouge One is done, Krennic would have been a good release.
Mendelsohn deserves a figure too. He’s a decent actor.

I have nearly two detolfs of HT figures in them. The scores are in my playlists. I love Lego ships. I wave my hand at supermarket sliding doors when no one is looking. I genuinely love Star Wars.

90% of the time I don't tell people I like it. Why?

I tend to abhor Star Wars fans. They are entitled and so caustic at times. They're up there with Dr. Who fans and religious fundamentalists as some of the most difficult people to interact with. And people know that.

HT didn't release this set to personally offend your ancestors. No one is entitled to a deluxe Luke because they saw the films the opening week back in the day. Do people get mad that less than a year later there's a "better" version of your now phone on the market? Or that there's a new model of the car you just bought with added features? HT is a business just as Ford or Samsung.

I'd call anti-consumer if this was released days after the PO for the original ROTJ Luke went up, or if the second this hit US shores and the world had access to the figure that they'd put this up. But pushing a year later?

Furthermore, we all knew this was coming. From day one that Endor Luke was displayed at conventions, we knew it was on the list. It is a 4 part different figure to an existingly tooled HT piece; at worst it would have been a con exclusive. The deleted scene stuff is the surprise, if anything.

source.gif

I think people would be pissed if they previewed the phone at the same time as the first one, and the only difference was the color.....then they added a bigger screen, better camera and voice activation , that was not shown on the one they previewed at the same time.....

Once again....point missed entirely...

It would have been BETTER had they put this up days after the initial PO, then people would have had choice.

But no, they waited till a bunch got sold and shipped, secured the majority of funds.....then showed it....totally planned that way.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Usually when people buy phones of current generation they fully expect there will be better one down the road and the companies make clear of that same goes with automobiles. No ones mad at single release of Endor figure, it is the deluxe version that's the cause.

The argument would be exactly the same if it was just the Endor version, it would just shift to "I'm buying a whole new figure for four new pieces, screw HT."

I love Star Wars, but I don’t wave my hand at automatic doors or seclude myself from an entire fanbase, just because they irritate me. That’s a bit much.

And like maru, myself and others have already profusely expressed it’s the deleted scenes accessories in the deluxe that are the issue. The Jabba’s Palace Luke was only recently released. They intentionally left out an accessory to sell to us later at a “deal” with the deluxe. They may as well have left out his lightsaber on the previous release as well, since he didn’t use it until the battle on the sail barge.

It's a thing my dad would do with me when I was younger and it's always stuck. I can't not live life without having a little fun here and there and being lighthearted.

I don't understand why this is so bait and switchy to everyone. The ROTJ Luke, had you gotten that and only that is an excellent release with a good selection of quality accessories. This isn't meant to be a deal, it's nearly $50 more for the deluxe.

I think people would be pissed if they previewed the phone at the same time as the first one, and the only difference was the color.....then they added a bigger screen, better camera and voice activation , that was not shown on the one they previewed at the same time.....

Once again....point missed entirely...

It would have been BETTER had they put this up days after the initial PO, then people would have had choice.

But no, they waited till a bunch got sold and shipped, secured the majority of funds.....then showed it....totally planned that way.

So you mean exactly what happens with the current phone market? Phones are displayed left and right and some don't hit the market till months after the sibling model, seemingly better with tons of features?

There's this weird notion that HT is one and done with products like they used to be. It's almost a guarantee figures will get a second release somewhere down the line, and we were previewed that very second version. So this argument of this "better" version being unfair is so wild to me. You buy a HT in the moment because that's the figure you want. You are promised nothing that they won't do a 2.0, deluxe, or better version later on. If you constantly waited on that, you'd never collect. Imagine if you were a Ledger joker collector, Lord have mercy I can only imagine the response from that.

We who bought the first release (myself included mind you!) thought it was a good figure and we liked what we saw. Period. That had no influence of what COULD come in the future. When you buy and Iron Man, or Han Solo, or any character from an established line you run the risk of a better one coming out. And I use better subjectively because I don't think this is better than the first release.

I like how you know that this was some evil, finger twiddling scheme to release this figure once they sold the first release. You know what breaks that down? The first release is still easily obtainable.

I don't have a dog in this fight because the release absolutely won't make me lose sleep. So maybe that nullifies my whole argument, who knows.

Not making fun of it. I’m just saying I don’t do that. Most fans have done it at least once in their life though.

If the first release of this had one singularly constructed headsculpt and wasn’t essentially “preparing” itself for future swappable accessories, that required the purchase of another full figure, we might be singing a different tune. People were still upset about the Dark Side Anakin though.

Not making fun of it. I’m just saying I don’t do that. Most fans have done it at least once in their life though.

If the first release of this had one singularly constructed headsculpt and wasn’t essentially “preparing” itself for future swappable accessories, that required the purchase of another full figure, we might be singing a different tune. People were still upset about the Dark Side Anakin though.
No harm taken, just a comment for comment's sake.

See, for some reason in my mind the Dark Side Anakin is more worthy of that then this figure, simply because there's a corresponding DX Obi Wan that has similar volume to a theoretical Ani with both sculpts and the droid base. And those released painfully close together with no breathing room. At least here there was a gap.

As one of those still waiting for their Jedi Luke to actually be delivered, this release has come at an interesting time. I could cancel that order and grab the deluxe. I was never really intending to get the Endor Luke. The Endor scenes are the weakest in the trilogy to me and the thought of paying the current prices for a poncho (yes I know there's a bit more too it with the helmet and different head sculpt) had me passing on that figure. However the extras in the deluxe now have me thinking of ordering and keeping the original Jedi Luke. Obviously an all in one package with everything would have been nice, but short of a couple of bodies, it would be accessories most would never touch. Make it a DX with 2 bodies and the price would probably be close to what the two figs cost separate anyway.

I'm still waiting on my Jedi Luke from PC so I decided to visualise what each version was missing....I think I'll stick with the first one and get a few bits parted out. Endor seems very lacking and Deluxe just doesn't have enough of what I like about the first release (cloak, DS base).

JediLuke.jpg
EndorLuke.jpg
DeluxeLuke.jpg

Endor Luke should have came with a speeder to further itself from the 1st release.

So you mean exactly what happens with the current phone market? Phones are displayed left and right and some don't hit the market till months after the sibling model, seemingly better with tons of features?

There's this weird notion that HT is one and done with products like they used to be. It's almost a guarantee figures will get a second release somewhere down the line, and we were previewed that very second version. So this argument of this "better" version being unfair is so wild to me. You buy a HT in the moment because that's the figure you want. You are promised nothing that they won't do a 2.0, deluxe, or better version later on. If you constantly waited on that, you'd never collect. Imagine if you were a Ledger joker collector, Lord have mercy I can only imagine the response from that.

We who bought the first release (myself included mind you!) thought it was a good figure and we liked what we saw. Period. That had no influence of what COULD come in the future. When you buy and Iron Man, or Han Solo, or any character from an established line you run the risk of a better one coming out. And I use better subjectively because I don't think this is better than the first release.

I like how you know that this was some evil, finger twiddling scheme to release this figure once they sold the first release. You know what breaks that down? The first release is still easily obtainable.

I don't have a dog in this fight because the release absolutely won't make me lose sleep. So maybe that nullifies my whole argument, who knows.

Buying a HT in the moment? You mean the at least 6-9 months between preorder reveal and release? That single half year moment. Got it.

The first release being easily obtainable just screws retailers. HT has already sold the figures. They have their money and the retailers have to sit on the stock. I bet now you'll actually see some places discounting the first Luke.

Stop talking about other releases like they happened right after the first one was released. The closest I can think of would be the Hulkbuster Deluxe, and you know what, THEY RELEASED AN ACCESSORY PACK! And aside from that every other release was basically a brand new figure and new shot at it.

And yes, I think HT did this explicitly in this way to get people to rebuy the same figure. There's a reason they changes the eye direction of the first head right? Several people have said how that they prefer it looking straight anyway. Why did they change it then? Oh that's right, to differentiate it to try to entice people to re-buy the same figure. If it had the same straight on look there'd be just the cloak, the binders, and the stand different.

Endor Luke should have came with a speeder to further itself from the 1st release.
I’m thinking only the scout trooper will come with the speeder bike. Can’t see Leia or Luke coming with one. Maybe they will offer one separately as well? The real concern is cost. Not that I’m getting it or anything... but I routinely see people comment about the absurdity of the Sideshow offering.

If they got rid of the fatsuit, that makes this tempting. Still looks like the only way to get him holding a saber is to switch out the arm though, still completely unacceptable to me.

To get a proper saber grasping hand, yes. This does come with a gloved blaster holding hand though (can’t figure that one out), which can be used as an adequate substitute for a saber grasping hand. I have the blaster holding hand for my DX07 clean Bespin Luke figure holding the saber and it looks just fine.

Swapping the entire arm on this one wouldn’t be completely necessary like it is on MMS429, since that has only a gloved fist.

To get a proper saber grasping hand, yes. This does come with a gloved blaster holding hand though (can’t figure that one out), which can be used as an adequate substitute for a saber grasping hand. I have the blaster holding hand for my DX07 clean Bespin Luke figure holding the saber and it looks just fine.

Swapping the entire arm on this one wouldn’t be completely necessary like it is on MMS429, since that has only a gloved fist.

I have nearly ruined the right sleeve when trying to attach that lightup arm..such a paintful experience just because of the lack of black golved hands of MM429 :monkey4

I only swapped the saber arm in one time right when I first received the figure, thinking the DSII outfit is what I wanted for my RotJ representation of Luke. Then I realized that I actually like the Jedi tunic better being that it gives the outfit a bit more something to look at per se as opposed to just a black suit and how much articulation the gloved hand on the saber arm lacks, and swapped it back the same day. Never touched it (the saber arm) again.

Having Luke in full Jedi cloak is the most dramatic display on the shelf.

If you want color, then the green of the Endor poncho certainly adds a new color to Luke's evolution.

DS Luke -- all clad in black -- just gets lost on the shelf to me. It's great in the movie but not so great on the shelf unless you're planning to pose him crossing swords with Vader... in which case, even more black on display.

Yeah, agreed.

Cloak probably does look the most dramatic. Though it doesn't appeal to me only because as I've mentioned before other times, RotJ Luke in my mind is best represented in either his tunic or DSII outfit. Endor gear never appealed to me, so it's never crossed my mind.

I started with the DSII outfit, but quickly realized the exact same thing you described where it sort of gets lost on the shelf among other figures when it's posed by itself and not involved in a scene display, such as with Vader and Palps, like you said.

Jedi tunic improves its presence on the shelf, but probably doesn't have much presence as the cloak would. I like it though because it does give the figure at least some flair, and I feel is the outfit that works best to represent the evolution of OT Luke: Farmboy - Commander Skywalker/Bespin - Jedi Knight.

It would have been cool if they also added a torch for the Vader funeral pyre scene.

Back