1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying really hard to imagine getting this upset about a toy, and I just can't.

I'm sure if we were all talking in person it wouldn't sound like as bad as some posts. You can hear inflection through text. It's not like this ruined my weekend, just bummed me out. We all know that these are all for profit companies, but you just hope to not feel screwed.

This was very deliberate, it's not like they updated Bespin Luke and it's been five years from the original release that no one can find anymore. There's people in here who still have the MMS429 on preorder and haven't gotten it yet.

I'm trying really hard to imagine getting this upset about a toy, and I just can't.
People are tired of being screwed over. What’s hard to “imagine” about that?

Why do people get upset at restaurants? Why do people get upset at the customer service counter in a retail store? That said, I don’t think any of us are getting quite that miffed about it. By the way, this isn’t “just a toy.” I don’t think spending $282 on a high-end collectible can be equated to buying a Marvel Legends Spider-man at Walmart.

This ridiculous underlying notion that threads on this forum are only for praising a figure... it boggles the mind.

I'm sure if we were all talking in person it wouldn't sound like as bad as some posts. You can hear inflection through text. It's not like this ruined my weekend, just bummed me out. We all know that these are all for profit companies, but you just hope to not feel screwed.

This was very deliberate, it's not like they updated Bespin Luke and it's been five years from the original release that no one can find anymore. There's people in here who still have the MMS429 on preorder and haven't gotten it yet.
Yep, it’s disappointing. They can do better than this. They should do better. Oddly, the price tag isn’t even my issue this time.

We all gotta be careful from now on, you know how sneaky HT can be. Watch them release Bespin Han and just after that ships they will announce Bespin Deluxe Han with Hoth gear with eyes to the side same sculp. People are just calling out what they see, shady move is a shady move.

We all gotta be careful from now on, you know how sneaky HT can be. Watch them release Bespin Han and just after that ships they will announce Bespin Deluxe Han with Hoth gear with eyes to the side same sculp. People are just calling out what they see, shady move is a shady move.
I don’t think there’s a fear of that happening. We don’t have even have the first Bespin Han yet... which would look amazing next to Bespin Leia, arguably their best looking female to date. And people are still waiting for word on Endor Leia.

Bring it on. I could use a good Hoth Han figure.

This is a good idea. I would buy both. Bring it on.

I don’t see how this release is screwing anyone over. The only thing the deluxe (excluding the Endor gear) has that the Jedi version doesn’t is the windswept hair (which looks terrible IMO anyway) and the two extra gloved hands (there still isn’t a saber gripping one either lol).

The headsculpt is the same but with the eyes painted to the side. It’s great that you can swap pieces with the Endor head but it looks awkward with the hair and is better suited for the helmet anyways.

I could understand being pi$$ed if the deluxe came first and everyone paid $300 for a bunch of stuff they were going to leave in the box, then the cheaper Jedi version came out. To me everyone got the superior version from the get go.

So if you want Jedi, it’s widely available and on sale at a lot of places. Bought that and want the Endor? Well you can get that without the extra Jedi stuff and save 40-50 bucks. Want both, you have the deluxe and only need to hunt down the robe. Already have Jedi and want a bunch of options, then there is the deluxe. Like I think everyone wins, except for the people who hate the light up arms with a passion and want a damn gloved gripping hand!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We knew this was coming - Endor Luke was displayed not longer after Jedi Luke.

The deluxe inclusions were unexpected, and those new headsculpts actually look out of place.

I don’t think there’s a fear of that happening. We don’t have even have the first Bespin Han yet... which would look amazing next to Bespin Leia, arguably their best looking female to date. And people are still waiting for word on Endor Leia.

For them to release an Endor Luke, we desperately need the Endor Leia.

Or will it be a General Leia.

And then a deluxe Endor version.
And Wicket.

I don’t see how this release is screwing anyone over. The only thing the deluxe (excluding the Endor gear) has that the Jedi version doesn’t is the windswept hair (which looks terrible IMO anyway) and the two extra gloved hands (there still isn’t a saber gripping one either lol).

The headsculpt is the same but with the eyes painted to the side. It’s great that you can swap pieces with the Endor head but it looks awkward with the hair and is better suited for the helmet anyways.

I could understand being pi$$ed if the deluxe came first and everyone paid $300 for a bunch of stuff they were going to leave in the box, then the cheaper Jedi version came out. To me everyone got the superior version from the get go.

So if you want Jedi, it’s widely available and on sale at a lot of places. Bought that and want the Endor? Well you can get that without the extra Jedi stuff and save 40-50 bucks. Want both, you have the deluxe and only need to hunt down the robe. Already have Jedi and want a bunch of options, then there is the deluxe. Like I think everyone wins, except for the people who hate the light up arms with a passion and want a damn gloved gripping hand!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s no shortage of cloak makers out there though. To be quite honest, Hot Toys cloaks are often junk. They are rarely cut and sized appropriately. Still, their capes are decent enough.

However, to get the windswept hair look, you have to buy into this deluxe or wait for the inevitable $80, $90, $100 parted out accessory on the secondary market. Unless, of course, someone decides to produce a better alternative. Which has become frowned upon by these companies.

And the fact that they spelled it out pretty clearly in the instruction manual that the first figure would be compatible with upcoming accessories showed their intentions up front.

It was nice of them to make the first release compatible with the new endor accessories for anyone who didn’t want two figures. They didn’t have to do that. They could have went the same route as they did with Stormtrooper and ANH Luke where the hair was not removable on the former but they didn’t with this release.

They knew not everyone would want two figures and they knew some would so they came up with a compromise that satisfies both kinds of collectors and makes them money in the process. They knew people like Toy Anxiety will part out those pieces people wanted without having to buy the whole figure but TA still has to buy that figure to part out.

I guess no matter what they do HT can’t win with some collectors.
Beautifully said. I'm with ya 100% on all that. And yeah, it was genuinely a good move on their part to have the hair piece removable and information on all that jazz. Here's to Team Common Sense!

I honestly think most people are getting upset due to the cost involved with these figures. But this is an expensive hobby and we all know that. But you can't blame Hot Toys for making more figures. If this figure tanks, then HT will avoid doing variations like this in the future, but I really doubt that it will. People will buy this.

We more or less knew this was coming, so it wasn't that big of a surprise.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. I personally think it's great.
Same here, and I CHOOSE to not buy it. I'm still mad at Sideshow for that original Jedi Luke figure I bought all those years ago (not to mention the Medicom one). Now two companies want to re-re-re-re-release the character?😵 You have to remember, some of these people here DON'T have a choice in the matter😞.

Caved and ordered. Just can’t resist the Endor look. However, I’m now on a slippery slope..... I promised myself only one version of each OT character, and now I’m ordering 2 Luke’s from the same film aaaarrrgggghhh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There really are some needlessly inflammatory comments floating about aren't there? Is there really a need for insults?

The thread is also packed with people completely missing the point. Reactions and assaults without really trying to understand the arguments that are being put forward. They THINK they know what people are saying and respond accordingly.......they aren't actually reading what is being said.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and honestly, the people making a case that the deluxe is a little frustrating have made perfectly valid points, whether you personally agree with them or not. Some of the comparisons levelled in return have bordered on the silly.

Again, as people still seem to mistaking the issue, the DELUXE figure was NOT previewed shortly after the version one release. It is that release people appear to be complaining about, not the endor standard version.

And it may surprise some of you but everyone does NOT want more than one jedi luke. If you do, then this is a fantastic release, I get that, but perhaps consider that most people just want one Jedi Luke. They don't want to buy the same figure twice to get some extra accessories.

Again, nobody is implying any wrong doing on hot toys part, and everyone is free to choose what they spend their money on, but surely anyone can see that it probably was not a desire to offer their customers the best service that fuelled this release decision, it was all about deriving more money from the market by hoping people would double dip. If you are happy to go along with that, great, but why attack the people who would question such manipulation? All those comments that read along the lines of "damn you hot toys!!!.....Preordered".....they're the people they are aiming at with this release.

As stated, I'm happy with my original release, I don't need this, but I would have to be deliberately obtuse not to see the point of view of those who feel cheated by the deluxe release because, like Anakin, it's a financial decision with no regard for the customers. If customer satisfaction was in the hearts of hot toys, it would have included the extras in the original release or differentiated this release more (ie do not include the original headsculpt). This marketing strategy will inevitably breed bad feeling amongst the customer base for obvious reasons.....nobody wants to feel exploited.

Nobody is having a cry about this folks, those complaining have all seemed reasonable and they are just articulating their concerns. Ultimately, you will be treated the way you allow yourself to be treated. So, I'm sure this will become a growing operating model for hot toys. Buyer beware (perhaps that should be "those who preorder beware").

Right, I'm off to play with my jedi luke.......;)

I'm wondering when the next post along the lines of "I don't understand what everyone is bitching about...." will be along..

There really are some needlessly inflammatory comments floating about aren't there? Is there really a need for insults?

The thread is also packed with people completely missing the point. Reactions and assaults without really trying to understand the arguments that are being put forward. They THINK they know what people are saying and respond accordingly.......they aren't actually reading what is being said.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and honestly, the people making a case that the deluxe is a little frustrating have made perfectly valid points, whether you personally agree with them or not. Some of the comparisons levelled in return have bordered on the silly.

Again, as people still seem to mistaking the issue, the DELUXE figure was NOT previewed shortly after the version one release. It is that release people appear to be complaining about, not the endor standard version.

And it may surprise some of you but everyone does NOT want more than one jedi luke. If you do, then this is a fantastic release, I get that, but perhaps consider that most people just want one Jedi Luke. They don't want to buy the same figure twice to get some extra accessories.

Again, nobody is implying any wrong doing on hot toys part, and everyone is free to choose what they spend their money on, but surely anyone can see that it probably was not a desire to offer their customers the best service that fuelled this release decision, it was all about deriving more money from the market by hoping people would double dip. If you are happy to go along with that, great, but why attack the people who would question such manipulation? All those comments that read along the lines of "damn you hot toys!!!.....Preordered".....they're the people they are aiming at with this release.

As stated, I'm happy with my original release, I don't need this, but I would have to be deliberately obtuse not to see the point of view of those who feel cheated by the deluxe release because, like Anakin, it's a financial decision with no regard for the customers. If customer satisfaction was in the hearts of hot toys, it would have included the extras in the original release or differentiated this release more (ie do not include the original headsculpt). This marketing strategy will inevitably breed bad feeling amongst the customer base for obvious reasons.....nobody wants to feel exploited.

Nobody is having a cry about this folks, those complaining have all seemed reasonable and they are just articulating their concerns. Ultimately, you will be treated the way you allow yourself to be treated. So, I'm sure this will become a growing operating model for hot toys. Buyer beware (perhaps that should be "those who preorder beware").

Right, I'm off to play with my jedi luke.......;)

I'm wondering when the next post along the lines of "I don't understand what everyone is bitching about...." will be along..

Zed. While I can sympathize with those who are frustrated and feel betrayed I made my case for why HT did what they did. They were trying to find a compromise which started with them making the first releases hair removable and stating it’s compatibility with future accessories for those customers who do not want two figures but it was always going to be something from this release that could be used for the first. Whether you wanted the endor gear or not you would still have to buy either the entire figure or the accessories on the secondary market.

We saw the Endor previewed about the same time and yes they did not showcase the deluxe with windswept hair that was conveniently excused as an accessory for the deleted scene. It seems like that one piece of hair is causing all the raucous.

I felt the same way when they released the DX12 without the backpack piece that came with the DX2. I had to hunt that piece down for my figure and that release was years in between.

My point is, HT have always been known to offer something from one release of a certain figure as an incentive to buy another. We may dispute the time frame but you can’t argue the fact that this is some new shady practice. They’ve been doing it for years. Then people act surprised when it affects them ie. something they want or they didn’t get.

You must have missed the part where people are blatantly stating not just implying anti consumer tactics. Read through the posts again and see for yourself. People are angry. And you yourself in the same sentence say no one is implying wrong doing on HT part while going on to say they are deriving more money from the market by hoping people would double dip and accusing them of manipulating people. Do you not see the hypocrisy in those statements?

Again, I can understand people’s frustration in wanting everything included in one release but that has never been HT M.O. They come out with a better headsculpt or some accessory that everyone clamors over. Hell sometimes they come out with a 2.0 version before the rest of that same figure leaves Hong Kong for the US. Anyone remember HT ANH Han Solo?

Anyone is entitled to post their opinion but if you put your opinion out there you must also deal with the consequences of having that opinion criticized. If it holds weight it will not crumble. And it seems like those who are most fervently opposed to this release are forgetting their history.

Back