Hot Toys MMS 446 - The Last Jedi Rey (Jedi Training)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! ...I know it might be an unpopular opinion, but imo TLJ is by far the best in the ST. It has its own identity.

Totally agree. I?ll go a step further and say it?s my favorite Star Wars film. Haters can say what they want. I?ve heard it all at this point, and it doesn?t change anything for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally agree. I?ll go a step further and say it?s my favorite Star Wars film. Haters can say what they want. I?ve heard it all at this point, and it doesn?t change anything for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me it’s certainly up there with ROTS and ESB as my favorites.

TLJ is excellent... but I was so burned by TROS that I?m tempted to sell my TLJ figures.

21744484-751E-4D9E-8A73-0B19E804ADB2.jpg
TLJ lovers?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! ...I know it might be an unpopular opinion, but imo TLJ is by far the best in the ST. It has its own identity.

I've certainly grown to appreciate it much more the past few years. It's a very well-made film. It's main problem is that it doesn't fit the tone of the other seven Star Wars movies that preceded it. The Last Jedi is something like 'post-modern cinema'. It examines its characters, explores themes and all that sort of 'artsy' stuff. But that's not what the Star Wars movies do, they're space operas, serials, it's all very straight-forward, there's not a lot of introspection there.

I thought it struck a good balance between deconstructing everything but also making it accessible to a casual viewer. Besides, the deconstructing doesn't even go that far in asking the audience to take a leap of faith with it.

I don't understand how one can chew out the war profiteering angle in TLJ as shameless and forced world-building but then compliment the whole trade agreement plot in TPM.

I thought it struck a good balance between deconstructing everything but also making it accessible to a casual viewer. Besides, the deconstructing doesn't even go that far in asking the audience to take a leap of faith with it.

I don't understand how one can chew out the war profiteering angle in TLJ as shameless and forced world-building but then compliment the whole trade agreement plot in TPM.

Exactly this! When people complained about war profiteering being political in SW, what about the Techno Union and Intergalactic Banking Clan?

Exactly this! When people complained about war profiteering being political in SW, what about the Techno Union and Intergalactic Banking Clan?

Well, folks are much more politically aware now than they were in 1999.

Part of the reason why the trade route stuff was so weird in TPM was that no one was really interested in the politics of space ... because no one was really interested in actual politics.

I thought everyone hated the trade agreement nonsense in TPM. Was horribly dull and dragged down the film for me. Felt like C-SPAN.

For TLJ, the idea that people might profit from either side (like bounty hunters potentially) isn't that problematic, but making it this big revelation within the film seemed a little unnecessary. In general, that whole sequence was a bit weak, so it all gets lumped together negatively whether it's on the more innocuous or problematic end of things.

I thought everyone hated the trade agreement nonsense in TPM. Was horribly dull and dragged down the film for me. Felt like C-SPAN.

For TLJ, the idea that people might profit from either side (like bounty hunters potentially) isn't that problematic, but making it this big revelation within the film seemed a little unnecessary. In general, that whole sequence was a bit weak, so it all gets lumped together negatively whether it's on the more innocuous or problematic end of things.

I agree that it's the weakest part of the movie but it was never a big revelation rather just to provide agency to Finn's fence-sitting. Obviously Rose on one side of the shoulder marking the Resistance's cause and DJ's liberated outlook on life on the other.

I agree that it's the weakest part of the movie but it was never a big revelation rather just to provide agency to Finn's fence-sitting. Obviously Rose on one side of the shoulder marking the Resistance's cause and DJ's liberated outlook on life on the other.

This is exactly how I saw it too. It’s all from Finn’s perspective. If anything I thought DJ was saying it’s a grey area and not everything is so simple as my side is more self righteous, at the end of the day there will be those who profit on it all. I agree it’s not a huge revelatory moment as more a think about it from another perspective. Another reason I like TLJ since DJ represents that original Han Solo detached view of war and politics, “I’m just in it for the money”. At the end of day commerce continues irrespective of the larger war at play. People in the galaxy whether they are pirates, smugglers, counts or bankers need to make a living.

I was really hoping TROS would continue from that perspective and finally show the galaxy taking the war seriously as more worlds and systems got embroiled in the immediate aftermath of the First Order ruling nearly unopposed. I wanted to see the galaxy take sides and use their planetary defense fleets from the core worlds to bolster the Resistance. I think not seeing Chandrilla was a wasted opportunity since it was the first capital world of the New Republic, it seems impossible for it and other major players like Mon Cala to remain neutral even after such a major attack on the Hosnian system. At least in TLJ the lapse in time is shorter but by TROS we should have seen a more reactive and divided galaxy that reflects the political atmosphere alluded to in Aftermath and Bloodline.

Actually if it was so unnecessary then why everyone including you seems so shocked about? People tend to ignore what they think its problematic, there's actually people who thinks Star Wars is just about laser sword fight. Its just like a Pixar movie, a child and an adult see the movie with different perspective and see meanings in different stuff, that why it is a success in audience every year.
when someone say this "It's main problem is that it doesn't fit the tone of the other seven Star Wars movies that preceded it."
It means that they dont understand the main themes of Star Wars, sure is a space operas, but its also political in its core, there is no Star Wars without POLITICS. THE LAST JEDI is what George Lucas tried to do in the prequels, but he could not achieve with his skills at the time.

Back