1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 320 - Star Wars Ep.VII - Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modified my Kylo a bit more

2021-05-23-13-58-35.jpg

2021-05-23-13-57-55.jpg

2021-05-23-13-57-11.jpg

TFA look is still the best since its so close to looking like Revan, yet so far

I never before realized how close V1 Kylo is to unapologetically straight ripping Revan off. I guess I can stop giving the ST credit for probably the best original character design of the entire trilogy. That honor now probably belongs to the flametrooper.

I never before realized how close V1 Kylo is to unapologetically straight ripping Revan off. I guess I can stop giving the ST credit for probably the best original character design of the entire trilogy. That honor now probably belongs to the flametrooper.

McQuarrie Snowtrooper -> FO Snowtrooper -> FO Flametrooper

While I am not super knowledgeable on all SW, but I have been around the block on it a few times. George had his hands in everything and approved the content of various forms of media, so you might've seen it or read the first iteration in books/video games/board games. Obviously the first iterations are clearly the best and should've just used the same names.

Kylo = Revan look/Jacen Solo Rey = Jaina Solo Maz = Yoda Jyn/Cassian = Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors K-2SO = HK-47 I'm sure there is more, but I haven't and won't read every SW book/board game story/encyclopedia out there.

Failure in planning, mandate to make everything "new" and lack of SW knowledge to be frank lead to where they are now. Old Republic is now being replaced by this "High Republic" direction they are going now. Looks like a rinse and repeat to me.

While I am not super knowledgeable on all SW, but I have been around the block on it a few times. George had his hands in everything and approved the content of various forms of media, so you might've seen it or read the first iteration in books/video games/board games. Obviously the first iterations are clearly the best and should've just used the same names.

Kylo = Revan look/Jacen Solo Rey = Jaina Solo Maz = Yoda Jyn/Cassian = Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors K-2SO = HK-47 I'm sure there is more, but I haven't and won't read every SW book/board game story/encyclopedia out there.

Failure in planning, mandate to make everything "new" and lack of SW knowledge to be frank lead to where they are now. Old Republic is now being replaced by this "High Republic" direction they are going now. Looks like a rinse and repeat to me.

Old Republic is not replaced by High Republic, they are entirely different eras in SW continuity. It could be argued they are meant to evoke similar old periods of time but I do not agree it is replacing anything. We see more and more of Revan and TOR becoming part of canon and references like the HK model assassin droids in the Mandalorian.

Similar approach has been used in TCW designs, but nobody complained.

I did.

Old Republic is not replaced by High Republic, they are entirely different eras in SW continuity. It could be argued they are meant to evoke similar old periods of time but I do not agree it is replacing anything. We see more and more of Revan and TOR becoming part of canon and references like the HK model assassin droids in the Mandalorian.

Yeah this High Republic is 200 years before the Prequels and the Old Republic was like 5 to 1k years before the prequels. This would really just be Republic era. While it is not the same time frame, the Old Republic was before the Disney merger and I doubt we see it in its same form again. TOR was just an ongoing service that made sense for business to keep running. They would be wise to incorporate Revan/Malak/etc., but remember that Bane looked quite different in TCW. The Disney Lucasfilm likes to take old components and make them much worse.

I didn't know that Disney+ Acolyte show would take place in this High Republic time. High Republic...what a title. :monkey4

I did.

Yeah this High Republic is 200 years before the Prequels and the Old Republic was like 5 to 1k years before the prequels. This would really just be Republic era. While it is not the same time frame, the Old Republic was before the Disney merger and I doubt we see it in its same form again. TOR was just an ongoing service that made sense for business to keep running. They would be wise to incorporate Revan/Malak/etc., but remember that Bane looked quite different in TCW. The Disney Lucasfilm likes to take old components and make them much worse.

I didn't know that Disney+ Acolyte show would take place in this High Republic time. High Republic...what a title. :monkey4

Good point, I really hope Lucasfilm doesn’t drastically change TOR if they ever decide to return to it. I think incorporated elements already happened but could always be cannibalized further. It is probably bad to hope unless it’s Filoni/Favreau then they will execute it more faithfully and effectively.

Its barely different from Vader... earlier versions were even closer. Kylo's look was never close to being original. I'm a ST fan, so Im not just having a go at the ST for the sake of it. JJ's stint on both Star Trek and Star Wars has been heavily based on rehashing the past.

Again, this is a JJ hallmark of a lot of his work. They may as well just made the ST characters the EU ones. It would also have saved me having to try and read Heir to the Empire, an experience I wont be repeating in a hurry

Its barely different from Vader... earlier versions were even closer. Kylo's look was never close to being original. I'm a ST fan, so Im not just having a go at the ST for the sake of it. JJ's stint on both Star Trek and Star Wars has been heavily based on rehashing the past.

Good point. Revan was basically Anakin/Vader. Before Revan was introduced barely anyone returned from the dark side. Maybe Anakin is a descendant of Revan or the chosen one of the respective era. Kylo certainly was meant to be a Vader wannabe per the early concepts of TFA with the Jedi Killer where one idea was that the character would impersonate and assume Vader’s identity. In context of the finished product, Kylo intentionally mimics his grandfather’s look. Kylo’s costume is a mix of Vader and Anakin down to his prequel style boots.

Good point. Revan was basically Anakin/Vader. Before Revan was introduced barely anyone returned from the dark side. Maybe Anakin is a descendant of Revan or the chosen one of the respective era. Kylo certainly was meant to be a Vader wannabe per the early concepts of TFA with the Jedi Killer where one idea was that the character would impersonate and assume Vader’s identity. In context of the finished product, Kylo intentionally mimics his grandfather’s look. Kylo’s costume is a mix of Vader and Anakin down to his prequel style boots.

I think the dark side characters on film all look similar, with the exception of Maul... I still dont have a HT Vader.... might get a ROTJ one.... but had to have Maul.

I love Kylo's character, though, and although his design isnt too original, he's my favourite Dark Side character.

I think the dark side characters on film all look similar, with the exception of Maul... I still dont have a HT Vader.... might get a ROTJ one.... but had to have Maul.

I love Kylo's character, though, and although his design isnt too original, he's my favourite Dark Side character.

So you think Dooku looks like Vader?

Only thing I see that is similar between Dooku and Vader is the chain holding the cloak together. Maul has a ninja outfit. Kylo was to be part of a medieval gang that never really did anything. The helmet certainly takes inspiration from the samurai. All suffer from the all black but with unique mask trend. Revan took the look from Mandos. Malak and Kylo kind of had the ribbed arm sleeves. The coolest, most unique Sith was Darth Bane before TCW and Darth Sion.

Only thing I see that is similar between Dooku and Vader is the chain holding the cloak together. Maul has a ninja outfit. Kylo was to be part of a medieval gang that never really did anything. The helmet certainly takes inspiration from the samurai. All suffer from the all black but with unique mask trend. Revan took the look from Mandos. Malak and Kylo kind of had the ribbed arm sleeves. The coolest, most unique Sith was Darth Bane before TCW and Darth Sion.

Darth Nihilus is also one of the best looking IMO

7D87E5C1-7956-4393-AE4C-2F13664B455B.jpegI also love that Kylo took from Luke’s Dark Empire look with the wrapped sleeves.

Back