1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my Obi Wan should be here by the end of the week, you bastards. When I unbox him I'm gonna be all:

"I've been waiting for you, Obi Wan."

Got this guy today. I always have doubts about my purchases but then I get them in hand and suddenly it's the most amazing thing i've ever seen.

I love his boots lol.

KeQNfIS.jpg
s4i7V4L.jpg

Mine Obi-Wan arrived last week, but I didn't get to open it up until late last night due to a busy work schedule (gotta make the money to buy the figures...)

I didn't snap any pictures, but my first impression on this figure is that it's damn impressive. The portrait is one of the better likenesses I've seen in sixth scale.

Thanks Silverstar! I futzed with them for a bit and I think I improved it.

keVP1rO.jpg

Mine Obi-Wan arrived last week, but I didn't get to open it up until late last night due to a busy work schedule (gotta make the money to buy the figures...)

I didn't snap any pictures, but my first impression on this figure is that it's damn impressive. The portrait is one of the better likenesses I've seen in sixth scale.

I noticed a lot of people in this thread criticizing the likeness. And when looking at pictures of Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan I can totally see what their issues are.

But still when I look over at the figure I just can't help but seeing Obi-Wan exactly. I dunno what it is. Maybe it's just that it is an idealized version of Alec as Obi.

I noticed a lot of people in this thread criticizing the likeness. And when looking at pictures of Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan I can totally see what their issues are.

But still when I look over at the figure I just can't help but seeing Obi-Wan exactly. I dunno what it is. Maybe it's just that it is an idealized version of Alec as Obi.

I've been experiencing the same thing with just about every entry to the line. I look over at them sitting on my side table and think Good God, those look fantastic! So I grab my cell phone to grab a few test shots on the angle and lighting I'm seeing. A few shots then invariably turns into a few dozen because I JUST CANT GET WHAT IM SEEING TO TRANSLATE PHOTOGRAPHICALLY!! It infuriating! I think it's especially true of Luke from both ends of the spectrum. He's easily one of the best likenesses of the line as he meets the eye, and DEFINATELY the hardest photo to shoot if you're trying to show off the likeness.

As I sit passionately riding the fence on Obi-Wan, I hope if I decide to pick him up I discover the same phenomenon...

I've been experiencing the same thing with just about every entry to the line. I look over at them sitting on my side table and think Good God, those look fantastic! So I grab my cell phone to grab a few test shots on the angle and lighting I'm seeing. A few shots then invariably turns into a few dozen because I JUST CANT GET WHAT IM SEEING TO TRANSLATE PHOTOGRAPHICALLY!! It infuriating! I think it's especially true of Luke from both ends of the spectrum. He's easily one of the best likenesses of the line as he meets the eye, and DEFINATELY the hardest photo to shoot if you're trying to show off the likeness.

As I sit passionately riding the fence on Obi-Wan, I hope if I decide to pick him up I discover the same phenomenon...

Same here. I have Farm Boy Luke, Obi-Wan, and Han sitting on my shelf right now, and I think they look spot-on in person. But whenever I look at photographs of the figures they just don't look the same.

Lighting, angle, lens. All of these things factor in, although it's obvious that much of the time, HT tends towards idealized, heroically proportioned, square-jawed sculpts. Doesn't mean the character likeness isn't there. The actor -- not always. Or at least, not from every angle. But the scale is challenging and some faces are more difficult than others.

I've been working on likeness in ZBrush (practice) and profiles are generally easier to nail. Foreshortening can cause all kinds of problems and a face is made of a lot of complex curves.

Back