1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likenesses I feel are really difficult to nail down in 1/6 scale. There's only a handful of sculpts that I can say are SPOT on. Many of them, I still feel are pretty close, considering the size of the figures.

I've been experiencing the same thing with just about every entry to the line. I look over at them sitting on my side table and think Good God, those look fantastic! So I grab my cell phone to grab a few test shots on the angle and lighting I'm seeing. A few shots then invariably turns into a few dozen because I JUST CANT GET WHAT IM SEEING TO TRANSLATE PHOTOGRAPHICALLY!! It infuriating! I think it's especially true of Luke from both ends of the spectrum. He's easily one of the best likenesses of the line as he meets the eye, and DEFINATELY the hardest photo to shoot if you're trying to show off the likeness.

As I sit passionately riding the fence on Obi-Wan, I hope if I decide to pick him up I discover the same phenomenon...

Same here :hi5:
I can't say the same for obi-wan though. the headsculpt is great, much better in person but not like luke or han where the likeness is a ton better in person IMO. I tend to keep figures that look great in hand and on a lot of angles than ones who are just photogenic.

I put this guy on waitlist on the 2nd and I'm not at all confident that he'll ever convert. :monkey2

Don't worry I'm confident for you, but will be just as happy with the repaint ghost version when they do that. We just have to keep mentioning it so it catches on.

200_s.gif

Likenesses I feel are really difficult to nail down in 1/6 scale. There's only a handful of sculpts that I can say are SPOT on. Many of them, I still feel are pretty close, considering the size of the figures.

Part of the reason likeness suffers isn't because of scale but the blank expressions given them. Hot Toys is the worst offender, sucking all the expression and emotion out of characters that should ooze it. Whatever the reason - artist, license holder etc - a blank stare is rarely how we see these characters on screen.

Part of the reason likeness suffers isn't because of scale but the blank expressions given them. Hot Toys is the worst offender, sucking all the expression and emotion out of characters that should ooze it. Whatever the reason - artist, license holder etc - a blank stare is rarely how we see these characters on screen.

I'm not sure I follow. Han here is displaying loads of expression. It's the "What do I want for breakfast?" face.

That's true. A lot of their figures from many universes all possess the same, close mouthed, stoic expression. This is why I occasionally welcome sculpts that have a different facial expression that convey some sort of emotion.

I was reading an origin on Yoda yesterday and how the plan for Empire wold have been for Ben to train Luke, but since there was nothing for him to do in the final act of ANH, Lucas's wife suggested they kill him off instead. So then they had to come up with Yoda, who as a muppet basically, was quite the gamble. Couple of decisions that worked out pretty well.

Nope, I see it in my minds eye already. And there are three versions, both EBS Snow & Swamp outfits along with the Endor one!
There's actually a lot of colour too, unlike some toys which play him out more like a hologram.
maxresdefault.jpg
ghost10.jpg

Hmmm I wonder if they are related, hologram technology and jedi spirits...

Otherwise I'll just have to wait for the DX Obi-wan in Krayt Dragon disguise!

Obi Wan is a one off, just like ESB Yoda and ROTJ Emporer is going to be a one off(if HT goes that deep) Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, Vader and the Troopers are the only ones that are going to get remade.

Well, since I've likely missed this version, I don't mind the milk version. Or even the chocolate version.

Back