1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you pull the inner shirt down? did you have to take off the the other layers? Yours look great. I want more neck to show as well.

Yes, I stripped the old guy down!

Added a wrap of tissue paper around his abdomen to give him more stomach, then pulled the shirt down tight. Futzed the inner robes so they folded over the right way, and made sure the shirt was still down tight when I put on the obi and belt.

The cloak material seems to be the same material as used by Kaustic Plastik on their Roman cloaks. It's almost like a micro velcro that clings to any slight rough surface.

22685983242_b122129080_o.jpg

22685982112_b2aa6d93ea_o.jpg

22685987242_d11dc160e0_o.jpg

22673530236_795742b6c5_o.jpg

Yes, I stripped the old guy down!

Added a wrap of tissue paper around his abdomen to give him more stomach, then pulled the shirt down tight. Futzed the inner robes so they folded over the right way, and made sure the shirt was still down tight when I put on the obi and belt.

The cloak material seems to be the same material as used by Kaustic Plastik on their Roman cloaks. It's almost like a micro velcro that clings to any slight rough surface.

lol. Thanks you man! I'll give this a go. that tummy mod is tempting!

Kuat.... your pics give me hope that when I get mine... I will not see a generic old guy dressed as Kenobi.

lol. Thanks you man! I'll give this a go. that tummy mod is tempting!

I generally don't like making alterations to a figure do damage or can't be undone, but this one was simple and non-invasive, apart from a little shirt lifting!

I didn't want to use tape to hold it either, in case the glue eventually got into the clothes, so it's just held in place by the belt.

Kuat.... your pics give me hope that when I get mine... I will not see a generic old guy dressed as Kenobi.

Thanks for the compliment! I was as doubtful of the outcome as you were, and was having a tinge of buyer's remorse after clicking the order button. (I cancelled my original order earlier in the year because I couldn't justify to myself owning a generic old man Obi-Wan).

As I said before I don't have anywhere set up to take photos, so it's a case of point and click on different settings until I get the ones that look best. Those were all taken with full flash. It's a surprisingly easy figure to photograph, but capturing Alec depends on how you see the eyes, which means he's always going to look better to the human eye.

I love the expression they captured in the sculpt. It has real sense of calm authority and confidence.

Thanks for the compliment! I was as doubtful of the outcome as you were, and was having a tinge of buyer's remorse after clicking the order button. (I cancelled my original order earlier in the year because I couldn't justify to myself owning a generic old man Obi-Wan).

As I said before I don't have anywhere set up to take photos, so it's a case of point and click on different settings until I get the ones that look best. Those were all taken with full flash. It's a surprisingly easy figure to photograph, but capturing Alec depends on how you see the eyes, which means he's always going to look better to the human eye.

I love the expression they captured in the sculpt. It has real sense of calm authority and confidence.

I had this guy on order from SSC.... cancelled. Then from BBTS.... cancelled. Then finally closed my eyes and placed my order for him. Will have him Friday. I cancelled and held off for so long for the same reasons as you... generic old guy. Your pics just look.. normal to me. No fancy lighting or anything... you walked into your room, played with settings as you said and took a pic. I think these are the best pics because it shows what the buyer will really get when holding it in hand.

I don't know about easy to photograph though :lol I have only seen maybe four or five pics that give me hope that this figure will make me happy. All the photos people post are great... it is just that I do not see Alec in all the pics and only a small group of pics where I do see small flashes of Alec, yours is one of those.

I still would not be surprised if I ended up returning this... but the fact that this will be the only HT Kenobi.... now that I bought it... it is as if I will be compelled to keep it.

I had this guy on order from SSC.... cancelled. Then from BBTS.... cancelled. Then finally closed my eyes and placed my order for him. Will have him Friday. I cancelled and held off for so long for the same reasons as you... generic old guy...I still would not be surprised if I ended up returning this... but the fact that this will be the only HT Kenobi.... now that I bought it... it is as if I will be compelled to keep it.

I completely understand your angst! :lol

WWEJedi said:
Your pics just look.. normal to me. No fancy lighting or anything... you walked into your room, played with settings as you said and took a pic. I think these are the best pics because it shows what the buyer will really get when holding it in hand.

I don't know about easy to photograph though :lol I have only seen maybe four or five pics that give me hope that this figure will make me happy. All the photos people post are great... it is just that I do not see Alec in all the pics and only a small group of pics where I do see small flashes of Alec, yours is one of those.

Thanks again!

As far as being easy to photograph, I meant in as much as it's easy to make him look good because the detail in the sculpt and paint is good.

But getting the photograph to reflect Alec isn't so easy. It's most visible from a lower angle, which avoids the hooded eyes issue. That's why I placed him on the top shelf of a display case.

Looking good Kuat!

Thanks!

Thanks! :)

:lol

Actually, I need to change that. First time using Lightroom. Like a watermark but not a copyright logo with it.

Oh, whew - in that case, great pic!:lol

I like the pairing (very museum looking set-up) but Ben also looks great with that harsher top light. Works nicely to bring out Han's likeness too.

ordered one of those knock off heads from ebay. Gonna take SSC Bens clothes combined with the HT cloak and a new body to bash a new Ben. Probably do some custom hands too. Stay tuned.

Anybody have a lightsaber curved like this? Haven't tested using hairdryer to straighten it. Not sure if that's ok on hottoys.

af691f900cd03668c6c96ae95cfd738f.jpg

Looks like its the hilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good with Artoo!
I think so too!

Oh, whew - in that case, great pic!:lol

I like the pairing (very museum looking set-up) but Ben also looks great with that harsher top light. Works nicely to bring out Han's likeness too.
Haha, thanks. I put Ben on a black oval stand for the current display, though he was staying up perfectly and seemed steady enough to stay on display without falling, but not taking any chances.

Back