1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this cod piece larger than v1?

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can weather the shoulder armor to make it look more screen accurate. I don’t have any paints to repaint the whole thing.

So, I just finished repainting the Rogue One Vader chest armor to look more like ANH. Which is to say: black and gunmetal. I used two main things: Vallejo gunmetal acrylic, and I used the Tamiya weathering set. Once done with that, I sprayed the final result with Krylon Dulcote.

Honestly, I kinda wish now that I had simply used a very fine sand paper or similar item, then applied the dullcoate or matte finish from Krylon. I think that it would get 'close' to accurate as seen in ANH

The one thing that bugs me with the Hot Toys version is the lack of a wire in the inner tunic - it just doesnt sit right to me. Gonna have to get some wire and take the stitching out to add some weight to the fabric.

I tell ya that modding this guy is a 'disease' - you keep finding things to make it the 'perfect vader'

Last edited:
Here's a photo of my repainted belt boxes and chest box. The aluminium "washer" was painted at the base of the red lamp on the belt boxes (not seen anyone else do this yet but check the photos of the actual suit - it's there). The "washers" at the base of the 6 knobs were painted red because the factory paintjob was a bit hit and miss on them. Also the tiny hole was drilled out at the base of the chest box rods to add more realism to that part (the original rods had a hole in that location but Hot Toys just sculpted a little recessed circle there so it was drilled out with a micro drill bit).

I opted to use the V1 chestbox because although slightly smaller, the proportions and placement of the buttons and rods are more accurate on this version. The Rogue One chestbox and V2 have these elements spaced too widely apart which throws off the overall look in my opinion

cking-DV-02.jpg

I did use the Rogue One chest / shoulder armor because I preferred the shape of it. I was going to trim the edges a bit because that last gun metal section is too wide but ultimately decided to keep it "as is" because it looked good when the overall effect was seen on the V1 body.

cking-DV-16.jpg

The little rectangular "ribs" were removed from the underside of the armor so the shoulder bells can be positioned correctly sitting underneath the armor (rather than being stuck onto the edges). In ANH, the shoulder bells were always underneath the armor.

20170927_153222.jpg

Here's a rare photo showing the armor without inner robe or capes.

ANH-Without-Capes3.jpg

Last edited:
This is a long shot but I had to ask. I am generally happy with my ANH Vader except for the gloves.

Can the RO Vader gloves be sold separately?

This is a long shot but I had to ask. I am generally happy with my ANH Vader except for the gloves.

Can the RO Vader gloves be sold separately?

Yes, they are parted out frequently. I am the same as I still prefer the original HT ANH Vader. Never was able to get the RO gloves as I always either missed out or they were ridiculously over priced. With the Tarkin 2pk release with another ANH Vader who comes with the same RO gloves, I finally managed to pick up a complete set of all 9 gloved hands & a set of 9 wrist pegs so each has it's own. I got all 9 + pegs for only $32. Toy Anxiety has had them twice now, at $5 per gloved hand. If you want them keep checking as they go within minutes. Once the 2pk is gone, the hands will be ridiculous again. I've seen incomplete sets of hands sell for as high as $90 on ebay. Be vigilant and hopefully you should be able to procure a set, or at least the few you may want if not all.

is this cod piece larger than v1?

So, I just finished repainting the Rogue One Vader chest armor to look more like ANH. Which is to say: black and gunmetal. I used two main things: Vallejo gunmetal acrylic, and I used the Tamiya weathering set. Once done with that, I sprayed the final result with Krylon Dulcote.

Honestly, I kinda wish now that I had simply used a very fine sand paper or similar item, then applied the dullcoate or matte finish from Krylon. I think that it would get 'close' to accurate as seen in ANH

The one thing that bugs me with the Hot Toys version is the lack of a wire in the inner tunic - it just doesnt sit right to me. Gonna have to get some wire and take the stitching out to add some weight to the fabric.

I tell ya that modding this guy is a 'disease' - you keep finding things to make it the 'perfect vader'

Thanks for the tips! I have the same weathering kit as well. Just used it to weather the belt buckle and boxes. It looks good. I’m going to try it on the shoulder armor next. Do you know of a way to dry the applied weathering paint? Because it can just rub off after application.

I have both ANH versions. The cod piece is exactly the same.

That is an extensive and difficult task for only the brave-of-heart.

Many have tried it.

Few have mastered.

You must break the head open. Yes, that's right.

But once you do, you can solve the eyes, helmet placement and nose plug all at the same time.

So I ask you: are you brave enough, young echo?

Many have tried it.

Few have mastered.

But once you do, you can solve the eyes, helmet placement and nose plug all at the same time.

giphy.gif

Many have tried it.

Few have mastered.

Ha Nope! I barely worked up the nerve to weather the belt and chest box. That’s about the extent of my modding.

Thanks for the tips! I have the same weathering kit as well. Just used it to weather the belt buckle and boxes. It looks good. I’m going to try it on the shoulder armor next. Do you know of a way to dry the applied weathering paint? Because it can just rub off after application.

I have both ANH versions. The cod piece is exactly the same.

Try mixing it with a dab of matte finish

thanks for the cod piece confirmation

For those wanting to crack open the helmet to do the eye lens mod, I've never broken a single one, out of 4 attempts or so.

Try mixing it with a dab of matte finish

thanks for the cod piece confirmation

For those wanting to crack open the helmet to do the eye lens mod, I've never broken a single one, out of 4 attempts or so.

Sounds like your expert! You should let me send you mine, so that you can be 5 out of 5. :lol

4 attempts? Successful attempts or failed?

all successful. Now, the nose mod is another story, and the reason for many attempts.

For those even remotely attempting the nose mod: get a small, very sharp xacto, and lightly cut around the edge of the mask where the nose plug is - try to wedge in at the '9' and '3' o'clock position. Nose plug will come out easily. Successfully done on a v1 and rogue one vader helmet. No need for internal drilling and the like. THat said, the Rogue one version was a tad harder and I have not attempted on a Tarkin vader (I have no need for that version's helmet)

Sounds like your expert! You should let me send you mine, so that you can be 5 out of 5. :lol

I assure you, I am an amateur on every level. No promises but these are things i've done myself. I usually will use a spray on sealant, like the Krylon Matte or I will use the Vallejo matte, which I use if I want to add some of the weathering powder or whatever the Tamiya set is made from!

cking: awesome mod additions I've not seen before. What did you get the tiny 'washer' from?

Last edited:
The tiny washers are already molded into the belt boxes on the V1, so they were just very carefully painted aluminium. Not sure if they're molded on the V2 or Rogue One belt boxes.

20170927_153605.jpg

all successful. Now, the nose mod is another story, and the reason for many attempts.

cking: awesome mod additions I've not seen before. What did you get the tiny 'washer' from?

Last edited:
The weathering on your chest box and belt is superb and looks 1:1 scale. Makes the difference between a museum piece and a toy. Armour repaint looks great too, congrats.

Back