1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I asked this question already, so apologies, but how do you move the cod piece up? Also do you have to remove the belt to move the boxes?

Here is a picture of my notes referencing various helpful posts in this thread. I'm happy to share my research with everyone who needs help futzing and modding. Locate and use the following posts within this thread:
52c7e220bddaf1f1b7293a144689a078.jpg

Thanks. That's worth saving. Can't wait to get my vader. Got the stormie 2 pack coming today so he can be flanked.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Here is a picture of my notes referencing various helpful posts in this thread. I'm happy to share my research with everyone who needs help futzing and modding. Locate and use the following posts within this thread:
52c7e220bddaf1f1b7293a144689a078.jpg

Oh is that all..:banghead:banghead

Finished repainting Vader's chest/back armor. Took a while to get it right.

His armor has a really interesting characteristic. It's very shiny and reflective, but it doesn't have a mirror finish. The armor can appear very different depending on the angle the light is hitting it.

ed7a96cdfd88112990bbb0e614bd3785.jpg
bff29830d88f4745f71ff80a2e84cb81.jpg
3894ba8d95f484df93fefeb927590f76.jpg

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

Last edited:
Some comparison shots with some of the reference photos I used. The color balance is all over the place in ANH, so I took one picture with a blue light source, and one with an amber light source. The third I just color corrected green.

dbe753396908078628e002ec286755c7.jpg
30bf60dbec8b18b69b8041156c33017d.jpg
caac300c6e9f44bfda896ed2160d52b6.jpg

Looks great. Do you mind sharing what specific paints you used? I've been thinking of doing this with an extra chest piece

Thanks!

I used super fine #320 grit sand paper, and sanded in a consistent vertical pattern to maintain that brushed look the armor has.

I painted with a mixture of Silver and black paint. I finished it with 4 coats of satin, and then 2 coats of gloss varnish. I applied the paint and varnish with a medium sized brush in long even strokes, bottom to top, front to back, consistent with the "grain" I produced with the sandpaper. I buffed the whole thing with a micro fiber cloth once the varnish dried.

I also made sure to leave all the little paint imperfections that cropped up along the way since his armor looks very battle-worn in ANH.

That looks incredible, WasteTime!

The stock HT chest armor is as much of a head-scratcher as the hands/gloves on this figure. Stock it really looks nothing like what it's supposed to finish-wise based on ANH.

While the number of necessary mods on this figure appears to exceed the number of mods on the two SSC Vaders combined, the end result of the fully modded HT really looks like Vader stepped off the screen of ANH; just stellar. Kudos to everyone who has contributed all the mod ideas.

That looks incredible, WasteTime!

The stock HT chest armor is as much of a head-scratcher as the hands/gloves on this figure. Stock it really looks nothing like what it's supposed to finish-wise based on ANH.

While the number of necessary mods on this figure appears to exceed the number of mods on the two SSC Vaders combined, the end result of the fully modded HT really looks like Vader stepped off the screen of ANH; just stellar. Kudos to everyone who has contributed all the mod ideas.

Thanks!

Yeah, I know. Hot Toys made some odd choices with the chest armor.

I agree about the mods. There are many, but holy cow, this figure looks more and more realistic with each modification I make. And most of the mods are pretty easy to do.

The only thing I'm finding impossible to alter is the nose. I cannot remove it. I'm just going to have to live with it not being in deep enough, I guess.

Thanks!

Yeah, I know. Hot Toys made some odd choices with the chest armor.

I agree about the mods. There are many, but holy cow, this figure looks more and more realistic with each modification I make. And most of the mods are pretty easy to do.

The only thing I'm finding impossible to alter is the nose. I cannot remove it. I'm just going to have to live with it not being in deep enough, I guess.

It can't be popped from the back (I don't have the fig)? I'd be scared to try to lever it from the front where you could burr the plastic in such a visible area.

Some people have done it - hopefully someone who has done the nose mod can let you know.

I tried pushing it out from the back first, didn't work. I tried using an exacto blade to pry it free from the front and that didn't work either.

I really want to make this figure as perfect as I can. Hopefully there's a method I haven't heard of for removing it.

Chime in if you have some insight [emoji4]

The nose piece being flush with the mask was really annoying me so I tried to remove it by pushing it out from behind. I was about to give up as I didn't want to drill any deeper and pushed really hard. The nose piece flew out across the room! I removed about half a millimeter of material from the back of the nose piece and now it looks so much better! I would highly recommend this mod but it is definitely more scary than cracking the head open.

Thanks buddy!

You planted the seed for the idea. I wanted to combine the ideas of using reflective tape, and your idea of using sculpted eyes in the helmet.

I originally just covered the inside of the lenses with the foil, but it just created a uniform coloration over the lenses. In most of the shots in the film when the red-amber is visible, it's just spots here and there. So I tried covering a modified HS with the foil, and drawing over the eyes and eyebrows just to provide contrast to the foil, so there's some barely visible eyes in there.

It worked out better than I expected.

I'm having so much fun modifying this fantastic figure.

Couple quick questions:

How do I remove the nose? I want to sand down the back side to push it in deeper, but I just can't figure out how to remove it without damaging the sculpt.

What's the best method for lowering the dome? File down the "fins" and "box" on the underside of the dome?

Thanks!

The nose plug mod is explained a few pages back and can also be found (along with the helmet mod etc) on the HT vader mod thread

The nose plug mod is explained a few pages back and can also be found (along with the helmet mod etc) on the HT vader mod thread

Thanks Matrix.

I drilled from the inside of the helmet to give myself more space to push it out, and it worked!

Shortened the nose, pushed it in deeper, and repainted.

I also lowered the dome so that the brows of the mask are covered and the "widows peak" on the dome dips down over the first notch on the bridge of the nose.

e00ec4eaee5559cec911e3d93955c638.jpg
24aa756b1bd3514b55d689ae13ec6556.jpg
86ee382fe042276db9b28af10f105b41.jpg

Back