1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20210921_082755.jpg

Hot Toys (A New Hope) Darth Vader

I have Read a lot of People Saying they Hate this Figure.

Why All the Hate?

It Looks Fine to Me.

Why are People Saying it is Controversial?

Hot Toys figures are not 100 accurate, and SW fans want them to be better, look for various threads with discussions about this.

On short there are a few problems with the ANH Vader, but the most significant issue is with the gloves.

I don't see a ‘controversy’ over ANH Vader, it is HT's first try of the character which meant a few things weren’t the beat. Gloves didn’t work very well, but it’s an interesting design. With a little more R&D they might’ve become better than the regular plastic gloves.

The sound function was also not received well since it took a lot of effort to use. You had to remove all clothing material and add batteries. To turn it on/off it used an inconvenient switch on the back, hidden under layers of cloth.

Some also had issues with removing/attaching the light-up arm. This is not a topic of concern anymore since collectors’ are more used to it now.

Overall, I think this Vader, with all its flaws included, is a nice figure. If you have the chance, get the ANH Vader that came with Tarkin instead. Some smaller fixes were made and it comes with plastic gloves.

Hot Toys figures are not 100 accurate, and SW fans want them to be better, look for various threads with discussions about this.

On short there are a few problems with the ANH Vader, but the most significant issue is with the gloves.
Well it seems everyone wants Hot Toys

What is better than that?

Well it seems everyone wants Hot Toys

What is better than that?
You can get a RO/Tarkin Vader. Or customize your ANH. Or get the ESB. None of them is perfect, but are very nice collectibles nevertheless. Again, try reading the threads about these figures on this forum, watch some youtube video reviews and decide. It is all about your preferences and your budget.

I don't see a ‘controversy’ over ANH Vader, it is HT's first try of the character which meant a few things weren’t the beat. Gloves didn’t work very well, but it’s an interesting design. With a little more R&D they might’ve become better than the regular plastic gloves.

The sound function was also not received well since it took a lot of effort to use. You had to remove all clothing material and add batteries. To turn it on/off it used an inconvenient switch on the back, hidden under layers of cloth.

Some also had issues with removing/attaching the light-up arm. This is not a topic of concern anymore since collectors’ are more used to it now.

Overall, I think this Vader, with all its flaws included, is a nice figure. If you have the chance, get the ANH Vader that came with Tarkin instead. Some smaller fixes were made and it comes with plastic gloves.
Problem is those sell for over $700

ANH Vader is less than $200

And ANH does the Vader Breathing (I don’t think any others do that but I could be wrong)

I’d Rather put that extra $500 towards R2-D2 and Luke Skywalker

I could care less about Tarkin

Nothing wrong with stock HT ANH Vader, one of the best looking Vader out there.
That’s what I thought but I saw videos on YouTube where people were Saying it’s terrible a couple people even said it was “controversial” which I thought was strange

But they didn’t say why it was “controversial” one person said to watch his video on the review he was doing a video comparing sideshow to that hot toys one but I couldn’t find his review that he was talking about

You can get a RO/Tarkin Vader. Or customize your ANH. Or get the ESB. None of them is perfect, but are very nice collectibles nevertheless. Again, try reading the threads about these figures on this forum, watch some youtube video reviews and decide. It is all about your preferences and your budget.
I was looking at Empire strikes back but it doesn’t do the breathing
Well, then it's a no-brainer, go buy OG ANH Vader!
well that was the plan until I started seeing all these complaints about it that’s what I’m confused about

I still don’t see what’s so “controversial” about it

Factory made electronics on 1/6 figures are overrated anyway. Unless you get a separate power supply and recharging by USB or something, try to avoid them. The figures usually use tiny cell/button batteries and they tend to leak in time anyway, and damage the collectible. Heck, some of the Probe Droids from SSC came with leaked cell batteries in sealed boxes.

My ANH Vader is customized by JazzInc, and I added the RO gloves as well when I received it.

Attachments

• Hot Toys Darth Vader ANH 06.jpg
    Hot Toys Darth Vader ANH 06.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 57
Factory made electronics on 1/6 figures are overrated anyway. Unless you get a separate power supply and recharging by USB or something, try to avoid them. The figures usually use tiny cell/button batteries and they tend to leak in time anyway, and damage the collectible. Heck, some of the Probe Droids from SSC came with leaked cell batteries in sealed boxes.

My ANH Vader is customized by JazzInc, and I added the RO gloves as well when I received it.
Well the thing is that’s kind of why I want them lol

I always thought 12 inch figures looked stupid

I only collected three and three-quarter inch

then I sall these new figures with light up lightsabers and sounds and other light up things and realistic looking faces being displayed in brightly lit detolf cabinets

Blew my mind

Now I’m obsessed

is this separate power supply/USB hard to do does somebody sell this set up ready to go?

What are these RO gloves you’re referring to?

Well the thing is that’s kind of why I want them lol

I always thought 12 inch figures looked stupid

I only collected three and three-quarter inch

then I sall these new figures with light up lightsabers and sounds and other light up things and realistic looking faces being displayed in brightly lit detolf cabinets

Blew my mind

Now I’m obsessed

is this separate power supply/USB hard to do does somebody sell this set up ready to go?

What are these RO gloves you’re referring to?
Welcome to the SW 1/6 collectors club then. Your (wallet) adventure to a galaxy far away has just begun.

Back