1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thanks. I'm sure some modding will be done on my end......it just seems the mods are so radical....nothing easy about modding this figure.

The figure looks pretty decent right out of the box.

If you do want to mod, there are certainly many that can be done to improve the appearance of the figure, but they are all relatively simple.

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

I think the cape length looks pretty good.

If I had a criticism of the cape it would be that the collar is a little too large, which causes it to bunch up around the neck and shoulders.

3627fa4397ac7b59b3bd017ad38b6f24.jpg

For those hesitant to do mods, I'd say this: do the repaint chest one and pull the belt boxes closer, and you've made a huge impact on the ANH look.

For those that brave the dome/helmet mod: learn from me and my $600 finger injury using an Xacto on 4 hours sleep = dremmel is your friend with the sanding down on the inside of the dome. I've personally cracked open two helmets from the dome. First time was terrifying. 2nd time not so much, but slow and steady. Be very careful handling the helmet anywhere near the tusks - they are very fragile. And not easy to replace if you break one, or lose one.

really good advice!! especially about how little you 'really' need to do to make him amazing! I also agree that he's GREAT out of the box... but with your suggested minor nudges, kicks him up to being much closer to his Star Wars look.

So I removed the wire from the tunic/robes, but now they sort of flare outward from his body; they don't hang downward like the cape does. Everyone recommended removing the wire, what must be done to make the tunic look good?

So I removed the wire from the tunic/robes, but now they sort of flare outward from his body; they don't hang downward like the cape does. Everyone recommended removing the wire, what must be done to make the tunic look good?

I'm leaving the wire in. I'm adding a slightly heavier wire to the bottom of he tunic, that should help out a lot.

For those that brave the dome/helmet mod: learn from me and my $600 finger injury using an Xacto on 4 hours sleep = dremmel is your friend with the sanding down on the inside of the dome. I've personally cracked open two helmets from the dome. First time was terrifying. 2nd time not so much, but slow and steady. Be very careful handling the helmet anywhere near the tusks - they are very fragile. And not easy to replace if you break one, or lose one.

Yep, I used the rounded tip of the grinding tool pictured below. Take your time and use even pressure and you should have no worries.

0f51844d52238ecbec306df92d4e8a06.jpg
e38c218f4bac7749d2c9b8c9364250d0.jpg

I also agree regarding the tusks, I feel asleep with the head in my hand and woke up when I dropped it. I busted the right tusk off, and by some miracle I found it. It's basically a grain of sand in size. I still can't believe I found it in the carpet.

Nope. The Rock, from neck to ankle joint is the same height.
Interesting, doesn't look like your cape is draped against the ground there. At its tallest (legs closest together) the HT cape lays against the ground on mine and it screws a bit with the natural flow of the cape. In real life that would be fine but at this scale it's enough to stop it from looking as good as it could as the quality is really nice. I tend to prefer my Vader on a stand for that reason.

Interesting, doesn't look like your cape is draped against the ground there. At its tallest (legs closest together) the HT cape lays against the ground on mine and it screws a bit with the natural flow of the cape. In real life that would be fine but at this scale it's enough to stop it from looking as good as it could as the quality is really nice. I tend to prefer my Vader on a stand for that reason.

Oh, you know what, my shoulder bells are tucked under the chest/shoulder armor pushing it up a bit. With tunic and cape stacked on top of that, it just might be enough to keep it from touching the floor. I also have him in a pose where the cape is draped over his upper arms, which might be helping.

Yep, I used the rounded tip of the grinding tool pictured below. Take your time and use even pressure and you should have no worries.

0f51844d52238ecbec306df92d4e8a06.jpg
e38c218f4bac7749d2c9b8c9364250d0.jpg

I also agree regarding the tusks, I feel asleep with the head in my hand and woke up when I dropped it. I busted the right tusk off, and by some miracle I found it. It's basically a grain of sand in size. I still can't believe I found it in the carpet.

How does sanding down the back of the helmet help with the setting of the dome? I am not clear on why that's being sanded. i thought you sanded inside the part of the dome where it meets the top of the mask?

Thanks for all the tips, btw!!

Well, I moved the belt boxes closer to the belt buckle. Good news is the belt itself still clips together; bad news is I damaged the outside of the belt a bit trying to get one of the belt boxes on, so I can't ever move them again.

On another note, do his legs seem too short to anyone else? I was comparing him to my Spacetrooper and Boba Fett, and it looks like HT just gave him a longer torso, rather than having his entire body be slightly larger/longer. It might just be the helmet and armor, who knows. I actually first noticed this when I moved the codpiece and belt upwards; I would have thought that the legs would look better if the codpiece were moved upwards to make them seem longer. Guess I just hadn't been paying attention.

Well, I moved the belt boxes closer to the belt buckle. Good news is the belt itself still clips together; bad news is I damaged the outside of the belt a bit trying to get one of the belt boxes on, so I can't ever move them again.

On another note, do his legs seem too short to anyone else? I was comparing him to my Spacetrooper and Boba Fett, and it looks like HT just gave him a longer torso, rather than having his entire body be slightly larger/longer. It might just be the helmet and armor, who knows. I actually first noticed this when I moved the codpiece and belt upwards; I would have thought that the legs would look better if the codpiece were moved upwards to make them seem longer. Guess I just hadn't been paying attention.

Hey Napalm,

If you don't mind modding, I have a tutorial further back in the thread that accomplishes the following for the belt:

• Makes it more durable
• Fasten more securely
• More screen accurate

Best of all it's easy, and the materials are free. All you need is the lid from a to-go coffee cup. You probably already have scissors and super glue.

When I get the space to display mine the only mod I'm going for is moving the belt boxes and cod piece. Everything else seems to much for me.

What page is the belt mod?

Hey Napalm,

If you don't mind modding, I have a tutorial further back in the thread that accomplishes the following for the belt:

• Makes it more durable
• Fasten more securely
• More screen accurate

Best of all it's easy, and the materials are free. All you need is the lid from a to-go coffee cup. You probably already have scissors and super glue.

Back