1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall the consensus I have about this figure minus the dumb sound thing is that it's a big winner. As one of the guys who modded the old SS stuff for accuracy, did all that hasbro dome nonsense etc this guy comes close to perfect and aside from the crotch piece angle adjustment the only other mods I am debating are the gunmetal gray on the armor, silver weathering on the belt and personally, while I feel the head and dome are great I still think it sits too high, more of his "eyebrows" should be covered by the dome. The thought of lowering another damn dome makes me sick though.

One thing I have not heard too much complaining about is just how damn god awful the Hot Toys cape and tunic are. They are horrible and it's a sad day when even the SS deluxe vader has a better cape and tunic. Thankfully I kept my lforgno as pictured below to replace for fantastic results.

My modded SS Deluxe ROTJ Vader includes an old SS vader lightsaber, a lowered and position altered dome, a HT Arnold body and the standard cape stitched and tucked in a few places

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pa1vvYmCj]

qvwmbS.jpg
[/URL]

Wow. I had the lforigno cape and tunic. I replaced them on my custom with the HT ones. I think they are fantastic.

Yeah, my ilforigno stuff kind of looks navy in some lighting. I'd like to use the ilforigno tunic but I would keep the HT cape -- just not sure they would match exactly in color and texture.

Every time i walk past my case just seeing this thing in there makes smile, i am blown away with this figure. i also think the cape grate. i did not bother with the electronics at all... and i feel i dont need to.

It definitely looks high quality and well made, it just doesn't look like ANH Vader to me. It's all billowy and soft and thick. ..sorry I was getting excited there.

After the skinny, awkward SS ESB/ROTJ, this HT Vader is very impressive. He looks sturdy and well built, like there really is a body builder inside the suit.

The only drawback, the gloves, can be overcome by choice of pose. I have him with the back of one hand facing outwards so that the overlapped material appears flush. And the other hand, turned outwards, is covered on the back by the cape.

It's not about quality it's about engineering. They can't figure out how to make something that drapes properly in this scale.

I like how the hot toys has the inner lining on the edge in the different material they get props for accuracy for that in my book but the thing is too excessive and bulky to drape realistically. I've not seen one picture where the stock cape drapes as naturally as my lforigno stuff

My lforigno cape has faded a bit since I bought it, and in a room that never gets much light. It was initially a perfect colour match with the stock SS ANH inner tunic, but no longer. I hope I can get a good drape out of the HT one, shelling out for anything extra will sting too much.

After the skinny, awkward SS ESB/ROTJ,

Skinny??? SSC Vader is huge in my opinion.

It's not about quality it's about engineering. They can't figure out how to make something that drapes properly in this scale.

I have to agree with this. I think that custom cape greatly improves this figure. It looks great.

I took one look at my buddies Vader in his cabinet and immediately jumped on sideshow and ordered/pre-ordered him. Kind of having a smidgen of buyers remorse despite really wanting him. *sigh*

Skinny??? SSC Vader is huge in my opinion.

I have to agree with this. I think that custom cape greatly improves this figure. It looks great.
He means the arms, I think.

I have the SS Deluxe Vader and the arms are kind of bad.

To be honest, the weird ass hip joints are worse. The material clings so tightly, there's pretty much an outline of his entire groin and hip region. He needed insulation. The suit is too tight to do it yourself though.

OK I think I'm actually gonna cancel.
as someone with the sideshow Vader thinking about getting this Vader to have next to the ssc concept Vader. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger on this Vader or save my money and get the Vader PF or the HT Fett. It seems like this figure gets an A for effort, but the pros don't outweigh the cons

OK I think I'm actually gonna cancel. He's gonna cost me almost $500 Canadian. **** the Canadian dollar.

Yes, the exchange rate here in Australia is almost exactly the same as the CAD against the USD. My Vader was pre-ordered at $399 (AUD) back in October - which is outrageous (it's now pre-ordering at $429 locally). There's been this terrible price hike that slyly came into effect during the peak of Star Wars hype, likely in the hope that fans would simply eat it and still buy. And that has certainly happened. I sold off all my Ashley Wood Adventure Kartel figures to get into this Hot Toys line, but that's not going to cover all of the OT figures by a significant margin given the exchange rate and base HT pricing.

I'm seeing double packs of Han and Chewie going for $1,500. Utter madness.

Back