1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given what a complex figure it clearly was to produce, I frankly think it's amazing it looks as good as it does. And can't imagine waiting another two or three years on the off chance they might make another, better version.

Given what a complex figure it clearly was to produce, I frankly think it's amazing it looks as good as it does. And can't imagine waiting another two or three years on the off chance they might make another, better version.

:exactly:

The pics from SDCC really blew up Chewie (Han too a lesser degree) for a lot of people, was it the angles of pics/lack of futzing, etc....I don't know but the muzzle looked really bad, and in sev. it looked like the forehead was chopped, and made him look short/off. The in hand pics have shown how he looks up close and what can be achieved with some messing/futzing. Still like I have said before, best Chewie to date...I won't be waiting on speculation of maybe a better one. Thinking of ordering another...:lol

If I like it a lot, I'll buy it based on its own merits, not as a "placeholder". If I can do without it...well I've beaten that dead horse to a pulp around here. ;)

I've never bought a figure with the intention of making it a placeholder either. In general I try to edit before buying because once I do, it's hard to get rid of things. ;) At the moment I'm divesting myself of a clone trooper and a few other odds and ends.

I try not to buy many multiples of the characters that I like, but sometimes it happens. I love Thor and always wanted a good representation of him. I bought the first one from the first movie. It was ok for its time then the A enters one came one which was better. Then came the light armor one which was a good representation of a bare armed Thor. So now I have 3. I may get rid of the first one since he 's so lacking in comparison.

Since HT will be releasing a 2nd Hulk, I have no doubt that they will release a 2nd Chewie in the future.

Apples and bowling balls. But if another chewie is released in the next 2-5 years I bet its from the new films. Doubt that I'll be interested in that.

I think HT have had such a bad experience on his Chewie that they may never do it again.
Especially with he disastrous media pics and bitching.

Maybe when there has been another seismic technology/production shift in 10 years time.

I think HT have had such a bad experience on his Chewie that they may never do it again.
Especially with he disastrous media pics and bitching.

Maybe when there has been another seismic technology/production shift in 10 years time.

Curious what sort of technology shift you can see improving Chewie? From your pics it looks like the fur they have chosen is pretty spot on. 3D sculpting and printing tech isn't likely to help with a Chewie given he's covered with that fur. To my eye it's only really the coloring of the fur in some places and the underlying sculpt that would need improving.

I agree with others that a Chewie 2 will be The Force Awakens and an Empire or Jedi Chewie is a long way off. Heck, after TFA it could even be a prequel Chewie. They have gone to prequel Vader for quarter scale.

Speaking of which, you guys with Chewie in hand, can you see the type of fur chosen being scalable to quarter scale? That would be an epic figure.

Curious what sort of technology shift you can see improving Chewie? From your pics it looks like the fur they have chosen is pretty spot on. 3D sculpting and printing tech isn't likely to help with a Chewie given he's covered with that fur. To my eye it's only really the coloring of the fur in some places and the underlying sculpt that would need improving.

I agree with others that a Chewie 2 will be The Force Awakens and an Empire or Jedi Chewie is a long way off. Heck, after TFA it could even be a prequel Chewie. They have gone to prequel Vader for quarter scale.

Speaking of which, you guys with Chewie in hand, can you see the type of fur chosen being scalable to quarter scale? That would be an epic figure.

IMO, they couldn't improve the body. It's pretty much perfect. The sub structure and implantation of the fabric backed fur sections on the head could be finer, they didn't plan accurately enough for the depth fall of fur on the face which changed the appearance of the figure. This could be improved at some point in the future.

IMO, they couldn't improve the body. It's pretty much perfect. The sub structure and implantation of the fabric backed fur sections on the head could be finer, they didn't plan accurately enough for the depth fall of fur on the face which changed the appearance of the figure. This could be improved at some point in the future.

Interesting. Thanks. Can't wait to get mine after all the great in hand pictures.

These are not adequate Star Wars collectibles. They are top level sophisticated releases.

Personally I was blown away by both in hand.
Whether people like them or not is entirely up to the individual, everyone has different tastes.
Things are subjective when it comes to our toys, but adequate suggests to me at least something middling or mediocre.
These most certainly are not that IMO.

I mean adequate in the facial likeness, not the overall figures or the finish/apps on the heads, which look amazing.

Chewy's pronounced snout and Han's somewhat bland expression and not quite nailing of HF likeness is what I meant by adequate. Both issues seem like they can be lessened with futzing and/or lighting.

Chewy especially looks like with fur tugged out below the chin it hides the protrusion.

With all the talk of the underlying sculpt being off, there's actually quite a bit of give when you press on the fur on the face, it feels almost spongy.
It would be interesting to see what the head looks like under the fur, should anyone strip it off.
TBH, for me, with a little futzing, I think this is amazing and I can't stop picking it up and having a 'play'.

With all the talk of the underlying sculpt being off, there's actually quite a bit of give when you press on the fur on the face, it feels almost spongy.
It would be interesting to see what the head looks like under the fur, should anyone strip it off.
TBH, for me, with a little futzing, I think this is amazing and I can't stop picking it up and having a 'play'.

Yeah, when mine arrives I'm going to pop off the head and take a look. It's a pretty scary thought though. You make a few cuts in the plastic behind the face, the snout slides in 3-5mm, it looks perfect from the front, you're ready to snap triumphant pics... and then you realize bits of fur are coming out from around the face.:gah::rotfl

Where did you guys buy your Chewies to get them so fast? Just on eBay? Or Asian sellers?

What would constitute Hot Toy-like? Bone and blood?:lol I'm assuming it's a plastic sculpt with fur glued on.

You can't move a solid cast head easily with only a few cuts on the inside, versus a completely hollow roto-cast head like found on dolls and Hasbro figures.

You can't move a solid cast head easily with only a few cuts on the inside, versus a completely hollow roto-cast head like found on dolls and Hasbro figures.

I'm familiar with these mystical distinctions. And pretty handy with a scalpel.:lol

Back