1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because people overreacted before the figure was even released. Same thing with the Han figure.

Only figure I have seen that deserves bad criticism recently is the 3A Master Chief that can't even hold a pose. Han and Chewie really came out well.

Han come out adequately. As did this. Neither sculpts are amazing, but many of Chewies shortcomings are hidden by fur.

Han come out adequately. As did this. Neither sculpts are amazing, but many of Chewies shortcomings are hidden by fur.

:goodpost:

"Adequate" is a pretty good word for both figs, though Chewy was so technically complex I'm willing to forgive more. It's a fig no one thought was possible.

In hand, Han looks better than expected, but Han should have been hit out of the park and HT couldn't do it. Even with two tries at the sculpt.

I was on the fence until the latest few in-hand pics and decided to pull the trigger but it's not a fig you can get hugely excited about. It's a place-holder for V2 where they get a whole lot closer.

I guess a small part of the reason to buy is simply the "Hot Toys is now doing Star Wars!" factor and you want to be a part of that. It's like Hasbro's monkey Leia in the mid 1990's - you bought because it's a new evolution in Star Wars merchandise, but not so great in retrospect. That one was 5 bucks however.:lol

Do you have them Talibane?

Sorry, I meant in "in-hand pics" not "in my hand.":lol No, SSC hasn't shipped this guy yet. Really hate how Asia seems to release so far ahead of SSC.

I had two Chewies on order (single and two pack,) but cancelled the 2-pack when Han looked a bit "meh." But a few of the newest in-hand Han pics have been a (slight) pleasant surprise so jumped on Han again.

I really need two Chewies, but can't risk it until I see it in-hand.

Didn't you buy an extra head? I've wondering what mods you will do to Chewy - the snout in particular. (I'm just copying your Luke Hoth mods right now - interesting how painting the visor and hat white snaps it into accurate.)

These are not adequate Star Wars collectibles. They are top level sophisticated releases.

Personally I was blown away by both in hand.
Whether people like them or not is entirely up to the individual, everyone has different tastes.
Things are subjective when it comes to our toys, but adequate suggests to me at least something middling or mediocre.
These most certainly are not that IMO.

These are not adequate Star Wars collectibles. They are top level sophisticated releases.

Personally I was blown away by both in hand.
Whether people like them or not is entirely up to the individual, everyone has different tastes.
Things are subjective when it comes to our toys, but adequate suggests to me at least something middling or mediocre.
These most certainly are not that IMO.

I've like several pics enough of both Han and Chewie to not give up hope that these will be great in hand.

For the price of these figures the face should at least be spot on. Others may be blow away by these, but no matter how you futz it Hot Toys Chewbacca is really lacking. But this is their first attempt and one thing about Hot Toys is that they usually do go back to a figure that can be done better. I'm Hoping for a better Empire version that comes with a 3po backpack or a Jedi version with a neck chain. Given that this is an episode IV figure with accessories from that movie only I don't think this will be the last one they make. With Chewie being in The Force Awakens and Disney is putting such a big push behind that movie there will definitely be a figure from that movie. This is Hot Toys first attempt. This proves it can be done. Now to refine it and make it better!

Well to be fair, most of the pics coming out WERE pretty awful. And there was no guarantee that it could be futzed into something as nice as we're seeing here (even the bloggers who usually manage to take all kinds of amazing and flattering shots of these figures weren't able to improve it at all).

So I'd say our concern was more than a little justified at the time. :)

Would be justified except that it's the same song and dance people insist on doing nearly every time any figure has been released since 2006.

Would be justified except that it's the same song and dance people insist on doing nearly every time any figure has been released since 2006.

I suppose, but if something looks bad early on I don't see why we should just ignore that and not say so. And there are probably just as many cases where something looks great early on but then gets released and doesn't look nearly as good. Or just looks bad from the start and never improves (ahem, HT Indy).

Of course there's a difference between just saying something looks bad or analyzing what's wrong with it (which, come on, is half the fun of this place ;)), and having a really nasty and negative attitude about it, which I do think probably happens too much here.

Well these figures are not cheap. Imagine paying two to three hundred for a figure, you get it and it looks like crap. Anyone remember the Sideshow Nathan Drake figure? Chewie is probably one one the most difficult movie characters to make. For me Hot Toys first effort never looked much like the Wookie to begin with. But if any company could pull it off my money would be on Hot Toys. And like I said earlier I don't think this will be Hot Toys only Chewie.

And like I said earlier I don't think this will be Hot Toys only Chewie.

Here's how I look at it... If there's any chance you can be satisfied with, or like what is out now, then get it. Don't wait for the eventual something better because it may never come. Sure, HT may release another Chewie. They may release another three, but there's no guarantee any of them will be better, let alone much better. It's happened where there's been improvements obviously, such as with TDK, but the opposite has also been true, at least in face sculpt: Hawkeye, Thor, Black Widow, and more. There's usually a pretty good one in there, but it's not necessarily the most recent.

True, but more often than not HotToys does improve on their looks. Look at Captain America, and Wolverine. Both are way better than their first figures.

True, but more often than not HotToys does improve on their looks. Look at Captain America, and Wolverine. Both are way better than their first figures.

How many tries did it take them to get a decent Wolverine? 4? A few of the Steve Rogers sculpts in all those releases were also brutal. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. For more often the story with collectors is "I wish I hadn't missed that release" rather than "I'm sorry I picked up that piece because there's a new one out."

But anyway, I suggested you might consider getting it if you were on the fence, but if you truly dislike what's release, then obviously skip it. You should always like everything in your collection, otherwise what's the point right?

[...]Don't wait for the eventual something better because it may never come. Sure, HT may release another Chewie. They may release another three, but there's no guarantee any of them will be better, let alone much better. It's happened where there's been improvements obviously, such as with TDK, but the opposite has also been true, at least in face sculpt: Hawkeye, Thor, Black Widow, and more. There's usually a pretty good one in there, but it's not necessarily the most recent.

Out of all the Iron Man armours released the only one I love and own is the Mark IV. That's an old release. There will be a new Hot Toys Spider-Man but no one knows what it will look like so I'm more than happy with my ASM2 (I know we differ on our opinions of that release, Pixel). I think the AoU Widow is inferior to what came before...the list goes on. I find it hard enough to curate existing releases, speculation on the future might drive me the rest of the way nuts.

If I like it a lot, I'll buy it based on its own merits, not as a "placeholder". If I can do without it...well I've beaten that dead horse to a pulp around here. ;)

A
But anyway, I suggested you might consider getting it if you were on the fence, but if you truly dislike what's release, then obviously skip it. You should always like everything in your collection, otherwise what's the point right?
I hear ya pix. I still have a Chewie on preorder. I'm thinking whether I want to keep it or not. I preordered on the first day before the NRD"s began. So even if I don't want it I'm not out anything. Which is also making me keep an eye on how everyone is getting theirs to look. A few look reall close to the actual character.

Back