1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvel is more of the in thing and Budget Stark has said how Star Wars isn't very big overseas. That's my guess as to why the OSR hype isn't bigger.

Marvel is more of the in thing and Budget Stark has said how Star Wars isn't very big overseas. That's my guess as to why the OSR hype isn't bigger.

Budget Stark makes it feel like China is a very small place knowing what Asians are and are not into. I couldn't say "Canadians are more into Star Wars than Iron Man"! :)

that is funny. I guess it`s his way or no way :rotfl
I'm not saying that necessarily but I'm guessing with him living there he has a somewhat better idea of how things are perceived and there's no doubt in my mind that people overseas are Marvel crazy just by all the Iron Man figures we see.

Budget Stark makes it feel like China is a very small place knowing what Asians are and are not into. I couldn't say "Canadians are more into Star Wars than Iron Man"! :)

I think he's looking at it from the perspective of what's available and what moves off store shelves at places like Secret Base. He's also in Hong Kong, which isn't very representative of mainland China. I'm sure his "findings" must be based on info he's gotten from people about pre-orders and the like too, not that he's dialed into the opinions of the populace at large. ;)

Just cancelled my 2 -pack, too may changes and not for the better. Will wait for Chewie 2.o and Empire Han ( if they make one) most of my stuff is ESB anyways, although I do have ANH Leia, Ben and Luke on PO.

To be fair Pixel, if there ever was a Hot Toys fanboy, it's you. ;)

I think what's changed is pretty much as davejames said, in short the production process. Not sure if the material of he fur is different (the fur on the body seems close enough, but it's supposed to be a mess) I'm guessing certain areas of the face are glued down more than they need to be (and were on the prototype) and that's why we're seeing the muzzle as defined as it is. Hopefully that can be undone to a degree and that will help bring it closer to the proto.

The fur maybe also needs a little waviness to it under the chin to match the rest of the body a bit more. Some of the pics look like he's gone to a hair dresser to have all the hair on his head 100% straightened. Needs to go to another hair dresser who appreciates the way his hair naturally flows.

If Chewie doesn't sell well. All Hot Toys have to do is release an upgrade head sculpt to replace the old one. I bet version 1 will sell 'coz of the upgrade parts availability. Just MHO. And yes I'm still getting a copy of Chewbacca. 'Coz you never know what the future holds.

To be fair Pixel, if there ever was a Hot Toys fanboy, it's you. ;)

Yeah, I only ever have positive things to say about HT, including this Chewie. hahaha.

I think what's changed is pretty much as davejames said, in short the production process.

That always changes and it's not very different here. People freaking out is also normal at this time. Every single figure, every single time.

I'm guessing certain areas of the face are glued down more than they need to be (and were on the prototype) and that's why we're seeing the muzzle as defined as it is.

I don't think that's the case. I've seen plenty of images that show the muzzle's fur can be futzed/moved and proto images where the fur was very tight up against the sculpt - but photos were taken at angles to not show the huge beak.

Hopefully that can be undone to a degree and that will help bring it closer to the proto.

People complained about the proto - a lot of people. Maybe even some of the same people that are now complaining about the release and saying the proto was better. ;) IMO, I've seen some recent shots that look better than the proto images that can still be seen on Hot Toys' and Sideshow's sites.

The fur maybe also needs a little waviness to it under the chin to match the rest of the body a bit more. Some of the pics look like he's gone to a hair dresser to have all the hair on his head 100% straightened. Needs to go to another hair dresser who appreciates the way his hair naturally flows.

The figure doesn't come futzed whatsoever - it needs a lot of TLC once it's removed from the box. The prototype received countless hours of attention before photos were taken of it too.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not apologizing for HT, nor am I saying this is a good likeness for Chewbacca - it's a big miss. Their Solo is a miss, their Obi-Wan a colossal miss. I'm just saying that the differences between this and the prototype are not night and day and that anyone expecting something very different than what was received has been asleep for the past 9 months. HT figures don't suddenly become amazing if they didn't already start that way.

This reminds me of "boob-head" from Little Nicky....lol...As for the figures, I just don't know...I so, so wanted to be blown away by these 2...Not just say they look "ok"...But like alot of people are saying on here, what if the 2.0 version blows this one out of the water?...And yes, thats assuming they do a 2.0...But I really would like the majority of my HT SW figures to be the ANH versions...since ANH is what started it all....

Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

The figure doesn't come futzed whatsoever - it needs a lot of TLC once it's removed from the box. The prototype received countless hours of attention before photos were taken of it too.

Most head sculpts you get don't have to be futzed, though, and what most can't wrap their head around. It's the most important/defining part of the figure in lots of cases. We'll know once freaks get their hands on this how good/bad it can get. I'm excited to mess around, but I'm also prepared to be disappointed. It looks like 5 different Chewies went out to those different bloggers.

Re: Hot Toys - MMS 262 - Star Wars Episode IV - 1/6th scale Chewbacca Collectible...

It looks like 5 different Chewies went out to those different bloggers.

It does. But when you see multiple shots from different people of the figure still in the box, you can see they're the same. I'm not blown away by this Chewie except from the perspective that they pulled off a fully furred figure. I'd love for it to be a lot better, but I don't have hope we'll see something drastically different in a 2.0. But if we do, great. I'm using this guy in a Hoth setup anyway, so maybe they'll do a proper ESB release someday.

The fact that this was even made is still impressive to me. I can't think of another company that would have even attempted a fully rooted hair Chewie. Sideshow definitely wouldn't have attempted and with the issues their regular figures tend to have I wouldn't even want to imagine how a fictional attempt by them to do the same would have turned out. Chewie isn't a total home run but he's far from disastrous like some want to believe.

The fact that this was even made is still impressive to me. I can't think of another company that would have even attempted a fully rooted hair Chewie. Sideshow definitely wouldn't have attempted and with the issues their regular figures tend to have I wouldn't even want to imagine how a fictional attempt by them to do the same would have turned out. Chewie isn't a total home run but he's far from disastrous like some want to believe.

I hope Chewbacca release will open the doors to get some furry Ewoks.

There's been at least one really nice Ewok custom, so it's definitely doable - I'd love one to pose with the Scout Trooper too.

If they did a two pack Ewok set similar to Chewie I'd be interested. I could see it happening but probably not for a while.

Back