1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the new sculpt. Looks much better. Onto chewie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, my first impression is it already photographs way better than Bespin Luke, and that figure's quite impressive in hand. Expect this to look pretty great with professional photos and even better once in person. Really looking forward to seeing to what degree they tweaked Chewie, now.

Really looking forward to seeing to what degree they tweaked Chewie, now.

10170999_1062747480420497_791237833983013378_n.jpg

these should be shipping... soon? with the HS complete and all we hopefully will have him on our shelves maybe in a month? only hold up for myself is i ordered the 2 pack with him and chewie. hopefully chewie is completed as well.

I thought the initial head scalp looked pretty good. Wonder why they changed it up?

Because truth be told, it didn't really look like Harrison Ford. Main reason why I wasn't getting it... Probably still why I'm not getting it...

The thing to remember when comparing the new sculpt to the old is that the old sculpt was a proto, the new sculpt we've been shown is production.

Personally, I'll be very happy is my Han turns up looking like these new photos.

I can see Ford in the new sculpt, but it's still off. The head maybe a little too wide for Ford, and that's what is throwing off the likeness.

What?

Sideshow has done it multiple times, including with their new TOD Indy, though some sculpts will benefit tremendously from repaints.

Then there's this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...ulpt.html?highlight=indiana+jones+sculpt+$250

And this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...o-drake-bond-etc-post7755844.html#post7755844

and this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...sor-archaeology-painted-unpainted-sculpt.html

The sculptors producing customs here on the forum (including ones that may not do so regularly anymore) and posting to Facebook are, IMO far better than anyone on Hot Toys payroll past or present.
I don't agree that we've had a really great Ford sculpt. Best I've seen is on the Raiders PF. Some of the others look amazing unpainted, but when painted lose something. This includes the Trevor Grove sculpts (and I own a repainted SSC sculpt that I'm somewhat happy with, but admittedly has its flaws), the WGP ones, and the forthcoming MJ one. Ford is just one actor whose likeness eludes sculptors. I don't actually blame HT too much here, because some of the best sculptors around have tried and missed the mark.

Two of the three links I posted are not the MJ sculpt and they're spot on. If they're not "great sculpts" then a "great sculpt" of anyone, from any producer, doesn't exist.

And because feel so strongly about it, I'm going to quote myself to drive a point home. ;)

The sculptors producing customs here on the forum (including ones that may not do so regularly anymore) and posting to Facebook are, IMO far better than anyone on Hot Toys payroll past or present.

Not perfect but a nice improvement IMO. I was getting Han anyway, but I was pretty much unhappily setteling. I'm much happier with this now.

More than anything I like seeing HT's willingness to improve sculpts after the proto is shown. Up until recently they may have done it 7 times max in all these years, and now suddenly it seems to be more of a common thing.

I don't lightly give my dollars, especially when we're talking a commitment of many hundreds of them for something that always seems to appear brilliant in the computer renders and unpainted 3D prints, then in-hand is stretched, too small and just... surprisingly off. That was the WGP experience on the inbound side - the side without the 20/20 glasses and where everyone thought they knew the sculpt. Hurry, slots filling up!:lol

If it was that good, I would have one. I don't.

I haven't looked at it in a while and maybe now I'd view it differently, but I was pretty interested in the WGP sculpt at the time. I saw it painted by Surfer up close and personal at Famcon, and it was extremely undersized. That's when I forgot about it and never looked back.

Two of the three links I posted are not the MJ sculpt and they're spot on. If they're not "great sculpts" then a "great sculpt" of anyone, from any producer, doesn't exist.

And because feel so strongly about it, I'm going to quote myself to drive a point home. ;)

Go ahead and actually pay the money, send it to a top painter and pay the $150-250, wait the 3-12 months and send all the PM's back and forth, then... get your final $250-400 head back. Then quote yourself - and it may drive a point home...

28v3sx3.png

That smiling Indy sculpt was a bold move and looked incredible as a render and unpainted. Honestly, I really hope one of the new Indy custom sculpts works, I really do (because I'll get it) - but I'm very, very leery. Solely based on experience.

but I'm very, very leery. Solely based on experience.

This line of conversation is just getting annoying now. You're a good guy, but in this instance, you have an axe to grind and you're not even trying to hide it. Based on sculpts I have in hand and the experience of many others of so many customs created over the past couple of years alone, I stand by my comments.

This entire rabbit hole was opened up because you said most people wouldn't recognize Harrison Ford in any existing sculpt (quoted below again). I'd say the comment below is the rare exception rather than the rule. Most people would still even recognize the caricature above as Harrison Ford.

after something like a dozen tries, no company (or custom sculptor for that matter) has produced a 1/6 HF sculpt that most people can definitively say "that's him!" about.

I'm willing to chalk it up to exaggeration and the fact that you, personally, don't *like* any of the existing Harrison Ford sculpts. Which is fine. But you're throwing a lot of really talented people under the bus if that quote is to be taken literally.

Last edited:
The new sculpt is a huge downgrade! It looks like the doofus SSC hoth sculpt. As someone said here in a previous post they gained in some angles a better Ford likeness but lost all the Solo... No attitude whatsoever. If this sculpt stays I'll cancel my preorder!

Back