Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, stupid me, only you and your buddies can express a valid oppinion in this thread. You watched the movie and own so many statues and figures, an absolute undisputable expert because of that and your post count. :rolleyes:

Not much to say in all this debate. I hate seeing those broken ones. Mine came in, a day or two ago, in great shape. It is one of the last figures I am gonna get for a long time, and means a lot to me personally, hell, the Alien is the first real figure I ever got, (the Kenner and the old MPC kit) so this represents thirty years of collecting to me. I do have opinions about the figure, and have kept them to myself for a long time now.

I have read the spirited "conversations" and have to side with Goforindian. Good on you pal! I agree.
I LOVE, and let me say this clearly, LOVE my Hot Toys Big Chap. It took me GREAT pains to get, during tough times, and not without a lot of sacrifice, so I must reiterate, it represents more to me than it could to many of you.
That having been said, I have mine, it's fine, I did readjust the mouth a bit, ten minute transfer of tongue (from a MadFarlane Alien) and a hit with a Krylon silver leafing pen on the teeth, some washes of color, not much, a trim here or there, and done. EASY fixes all. Therefore, I say, the figure as is, is amazing. I was breathless opening the box. And pretty darned grateful also.

AD021.jpg

AD024.jpg

AD025.jpg

AD026.jpg

And in the collection

AD027.jpg

AD028.jpg

Hope these pics help any of you on the fence. I think this figure RULES!!!! Totally! GET ONE! And if you don't want it, don't. Your loss, not mine. :rock

I would rather stare at these photos.

Yeah, stupid me, only you and your buddies can express a valid oppinion in this thread. You watched the movie and own so many statues and figures, an absolute undisputable expert because of that and your post count. :rolleyes:

Never said your opinion wasn't valid or wrong.
And please, dispute me. I don't claim to have all the answers and LOVE hearing other's viewpoints on ALIEN

It's just the way you jumped right back into this thread attacking everyone with an opinion different than yours.

That's why your original post was deleted.

No, he, like everyone else on this forum, has WATCHED Alien more then once in his/her life. The mouth is right there. Anyone with eyes can see it. Yet Hot Toys messed it up.

Never said your opinion wasn't valid or wrong.
And please, dispute me. I don't claim to have all the answers and LOVE hearing other's viewpoints on ALIEN

It's just the way you jumped right back into this thread attacking everyone with an opinion different than yours.

That's why your original post was deleted.

Argue with Ridley Scott, not me.

Scott chose not to show the Alien in full through most of the film, showing only pieces of it while keeping most of its body in shadow in order to heighten the sense of terror and suspense. The audience could thus project their own fears into imagining what the rest of the creature might look like: "Every movement is going to be very slow, very graceful, and the Alien will alter shape so you never really know exactly what he looks like." The Alien has been referred to as "one of the most iconic movie monsters in film history" in the decades since the film's release, being noted for its biomechanical appearance and sexual overtones. Roger Ebert has remarked that "Alien uses a tricky device to keep the alien fresh throughout the movie: It evolves the nature and appearance of the creature, so we never know quite what it looks like or what it can do...The first time we get a good look at the alien, as it bursts from the chest of poor Kane (John Hurt). It is unmistakably phallic in shape, and the critic Tim Dirks mentions its 'open, dripping ______l mouth.

I guess Hot Toys should have figured out a way to make a super dark, fuzzy floating Alien head.

I agree with your point. And that's fine for most casual fans of the film.

But, there are those of us who know what it looks like in the light and up close.

We know the details. And for us, this didn't measure up.
Especially considering that Hot Toys claimed it to be the most accurate Alien figure ever.

Speaking of which you can't even open the mouth because the rubber tendons will break. You can't bend the legs more than 15 degrees or the rubber bodysuit will tear. Big Chap is one big steaming pile of Big Crap. :lol

Spirited discussion is all well and good, but it's misstatements like this that are really a disservice to the community. Some people have had some problems with various Alien figures - but saying a figure is complete crap because of a couple of isolated incidences is just...:rolleyes:

I have the official Alien book - I'll have to pull it out, although I don't remember any clear shots of the alien suit in there.

Also there are pics of the Giger museum suit out there - granted that is just one version, but since Giger put it in his museum, one could infer that he feels it's fairly definitive and thus would be a good guide for creating memorabilia from the film.

But this figure still looks great to me so far.

I've said it before...

I'll be the first to admit that I was one of the main voices against this figure in the beginning. And I did say some pretty bad things about it.

But, I've come to accept this for what it is, a really well sculpted Alien figure.

It's definately not accurate enough for me. But, it's cool enough to go in my collection.

I'll just have to look elsewhere for an accurate Alien.

Spirited discussion is all well and good, but it's misstatements like this that are really a disservice to the community. Some people have had some problems with various Alien figures - but saying a figure is complete crap because of a couple of isolated incidences is just...:rolleyes:

I have the official Alien book - I'll have to pull it out, although I don't remember any clear shots of the alien suit in there.

Also there are pics of the Giger museum suit out there - granted that is just one version, but since Giger put it in his museum, one could infer that he feels it's fairly definitive and thus would be a good guide for creating memorabilia from the film.

But this figure still looks great to me so far.

I'm referring to the quality of the figure itself just like the Aliens Warrior and not made to last. The rubber tendons WILL stretch and tear after repeated openings of the extended mandibles and Hot Toys even included a warning not to pose the legs more than 15 degrees apart. So what they have bestowed upon us is an idealized representation that can only be displayed in one static pose without risk of breakage. Not only is it a BIG disappointment, it's BIG Crap.

In the spirit of the Cinemaquette vs. Hot Toys pics I posted earlier, I thought you guys might like this.

This is my big 23" Marmit Alien statue vs. the Hot Toys figure.

The Marmit was based off of the original suit that's in the Giger museum.

If anyone is interested, I can do a NECA vs. Hot Toys next.
Just let me know if that's something anyone would like to see or not.

100_4142a-horz.jpg

100_4144a-horz.jpg

100_4152a-horz.jpg

100_4146a-horz.jpg

100_4155a-horz.jpg

100_4164a-horz.jpg

Last edited:
Not really a fair contest though, since the Marmit is a statue.

You know, there are aspects of the HT Alien which are really cool. And you can see from what Les has done that it can be improved with a few tweaks. It would still need an out and out head swap for me to like it, but I can actually see what other people like about it.

Thanks for the comparison pics Sabres21768. :D

The Marmit alien jaw/face is wider and it looks a lot better. As for the the tube thingy on left/right side of the Marmit alien. The statue version is well kind of small..:duh

However it's too bad HT didn't use the statue as their reference.....:dunno

I'm really happy with my Alien, the only thing that really bothers me is the mouth but I just tilt his head down some and its less noticeable. I plan on repainting the teeth and nails just to give it the more chrome look.

Also, mine took a header last night thankfully he was in my shelf I'm glad I didn't put him on top with the rest of my aliens.

Thats the worst part, he is just standing upright with a slight bend in his knees and his tail in front lol.

As much as the Marmit statue rocks, there's things about it that don't tickle my fancy, especially the shape of the dome. But it is a fantastic looking sculpt and that repaint just takes it to another level!

And please do post side by sides with NECA's alien Sabres.

ALV, I really don't get where you're coming from man... the pics we're posting are of the actual suit and props, there's a statue made by Giger himself that was used to make the suits, I mean what more proof do you need to understand that the HT figure just isn't accurate?
Bad, horrible or crap are opinions. Lack of accuracy is fact.
And Ridley Scott's decision to show as little of it as possible during the film has no relevancy on the look of a toy.
Unless you want to argue that an interpretation looks better than a body in a suit -which would be fine, a lot of people are of that opinion, hence the Takeya alien statues for example.
But that's not what we've been arguing here. The whole point has been accuracy, that's all. And most of the most vocal critics (like myself and Sabres) actually have ordered the HT figure and enjoy it (well, I will when it gets here :D).

So I just don't get why you keep coming back trying to argue that the inaccuracies are not there, it's just mystifying to me.

Back