Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine from Alter Ego for $135... seems to be the lowest retail price. A few others have it for that price as well.

It's not even being obesessive. My one and ONLY issue with entire figure is the mouth. Now, seeing is how the mouth was the only thing shown in the movie, it completly ruins the figure for me. The body is amazing looking, and the paint is spot on....but that mouth...ugh.

Didn't you state in a few earlier posts that "It doesnt even look like an Alien"? Now your saying the mouth is the only issue. So which is it? :rolleyes:

Didn't you state in a few earlier posts that "It doesnt even look like an Alien"? Now your saying the mouth is the only issue. So which is it? :rolleyes:

It doesnt look like any Alien i've ever seen, because of the mouth. The body is fimiler...but in no way is that mouth anything like any alien from any of the 6 movies.

I'd recommend a stand for this one. I've had him standing in the same position for three days, then out of nowhere he did an epic shelf dive (5 1/2 feet of free-fall). Lucky I'm a messy bastard and he fell into a pile of clothes so no harm done.:rotfl Weak Ankles.

I'm using the medi stand that came with that Alien, hate using stands.

It doesnt look like any Alien i've ever seen, because of the mouth. The body is fimiler...but in no way is that mouth anything like any alien from any of the 6 movies.

I think the "casual" Sci-Fi fan... would look at this, recognize it and think "hey, that's Alien from the movie". Not think "oh the mouths off" or differentiate mouths from Aliens in various movies. Most don't care if the mouth is "off a milliimeter" or the teeth are "just not right" or the "dome is shaped wrong". Thats a job for the obsessive fan and most of them will never be happy. And that's fine. But it is obsessive.

It's out, in hand and I like the figure....those who don't like it have the option to not buy.

Um...i'd like you to show me when an Alien has ever looked like that in the movies. Please, screenshot it. I want to see that mouth.

Its a huge issue. =Its not a mundane issue like "The tail isnt spiked enought!" "There should be 3 feet jaw whatevers!" "The rips are too small". No, its the Alien's most important feature. The feature that made it famous.

I think the "casual" Sci-Fi fan... would look at this, recognize it and think "hey, that's Alien from the movie". Not think "oh the mouths off" or differentiate mouths from Aliens in various movies. Most don't care if the mouth is "off a milliimeter" or the teeth are "just not right" or the "dome is shaped wrong". Thats a job for the obsessive fan and most of them will never be happy. And that's fine. But it is obsessive.

It's out, in hand and I like the figure....those who don't like it have the option to not buy.

Yeah...tell that to the Terminator, Predator and Batman fans. :rolleyes:

I REALLY wish that the new T-800 fig had only a passing likeness to Arnold.
Then you'd see a ____ storm of complaints and EVERYONE would be on the ol' "DAMN YOU HOT TOYS" bandwagon.

Again, without stirring up another pointless debate...Hot Toys went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make super accurate figs for the fans of those movies.
ALIEN...not so much.
So, do we Alien fans have a right to be upset...WE SURE THE ____ DO.

S21768,

I got this from your collection. Do you have any background info on this pic??? Ive always though the look without the dome to be a lot more horrific.. Something about it just bothers me.

alien1A.jpg

That's a pic of Bolaji taking a break during the filming of the scene with Lambert and Parker.

Then you'd see a ____ storm of complaints and EVERYONE would be on the ol' "DAMN YOU HOT TOYS" bandwagon.

Again, without stirring up another pointless debate...Hot Toys went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make super accurate figs for the fans of those movies.
ALIEN...not so much.

You make my point. You are obsessive about Alien and you can't debate that.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.......LOL

You make my point. You are obsessive about Alien and you can't debate that.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.......LOL

Never said I wasn't. And I have no problem being obsessive about it.
It's my favorite movie of all time. I love the design of the creature.

And, HT failed to deliver with this sculpt for us "obsessive" fans.
Unlike how they've continued to deliver for fans of other movies.

Never said I wasn't. And I have no problem being obsessive about it.
It's my favorite movie of all time. I love the design of the creature.

And, HT failed to deliver with this sculpt for us "obsessive" fans.
Unlike how they've continued to deliver for fans of other movies.

That was the whole point of my statement...it's the obsessive fans that most care about the minute details in the HT Alien. The casual fans that watch the movie a few times a year and enjoy it don't.

I think the main point is that with a tiny bit more effort Hot Toys could have made this Alien figure EXACT, satisfying virtually everyone. Maybe even not "more effort", just a better sculptor or person in charge of the project. The Medicom Alien is far more clean and accurate than this in my opinion, at least in the body (and I've worked in the makeup effects industry for years, so I have some knowledge). Medicom did it (albeit only 12 inches tall). I think with all the nice product Hot Toys does, they half assed this Alien figure. To me, the details on the body just look messy. The "face" isn't ideal, but the body bothers me more.

And with the ever-escalating prices these companies are charging now for these toys, they really need to be accurate, or they need to stop charging 'masterpiece' prices.

Sean

Sabres21768,
Do you know WHY the dome is off?? was it removable throughout filming??

ALIEN...not so much.

That's a pic of Bolaji taking a break during the filming of the scene with Lambert and Parker.

Sabres21768,
Do you know WHY the dome is off?? was it removable throughout filming??

During filming, condensation would form on the inside of the dome from Bolaji perspiring under the hot lights.

This condensation, and the application of the KY jelly, is actually what gave the dome it's "cloudy" look that everyone sees in the film.

It's probably off to clean off that condensation and give Bolaji a bit more air.

I think the main point is that with a tiny bit more effort Hot Toys could have made this Alien figure EXACT, satisfying virtually everyone. Maybe even not "more effort", just a better sculptor or person in charge of the project.

I ve seen the video of the guy working on this.He did nt seem to give a rats ass about it and certainly did nt have any real reference material around him,it s true.He was phoning it in.

S21768,

I got this from your collection. Do you have any background info on this pic??? Ive always though the look without the dome to be a lot more horrific.. Something about it just bothers me.

alien1A.jpg

It's one of my favourite production photos of the Alien, and what I'd have loved (apart from a more accurate sculpt) is for the anniversary figure to have had interchangeable heads (maybe the stunt head, the hero head, one with mouth fully closed perhaps), removeable domes, and all sorts of other accesories and options. I mean, you get multiple heads of Tony Stark or the Joker or whoever, and this was supposed to be the anniversary figure. Would an Egg and Facehugger have been too much to ask as well?

Back