Hot Toys Line...to Repetitive?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
Seems like we will just keep getting more and more DC and MARVEL lines, same characters, slightly different outfits......

How many Black Widows do we have now? Iron Men? Batman?????

Do you think Hots toys should expand into new lines more often? Or stick with the Barbie doll mentality and release popular characters over and over, with "new" outfits and sculpts?

How do you feel?

tumblr_inline_my4qfsRmw01qz7jkg.jpg

Leaves room for other players, no biggie.

When they have a license and don't bring out key characters, that'd be frustrating for fans of that license though.

I just wish they would release the 66 Batmobile they said they were doing or the 1/4 Predators(in actual 1/4 scale, their 1/6 ones are undersized). Don't really care about the rest of their lines. They tend to cut "new" lines short like Watchmen/Sucker Punch.

Leaves room for other players, no biggie.

When they have a license and don't bring out key characters, that'd be frustrating for fans of that license though.

A few of the VGM licenses were like that. Still no word on Arkham City Joker after it was first teased in 2012 :pow.

Idk if I think HT should expand right now. I've never really understood the argument that HT produces too many repeats. If Hot Toys doesn't make new updated characters as the marvel movies progress then they would get hammered for not doing so. Because then the argument would change from there are too many of the same to there aren't enough and secondary prices are too high in eBay.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

As annoying as it is, it's not entirely HTs fault. Movie studios are all about marketing and merchandising. Hence the reason every new sci-fi, fantasy or super-hero franchise introduces more and more characters, and constantly changes how the characters look: it's all about selling more toys, etc. Despite some of them being good, these types of genres are little more than 2 hour toy commercials. My only gripe with HT is if they're going to buy up licenses, then they should at least do the license some justice, instead of the one (or two) and done BS.

That is almost like saying does Ford make to many pickup trucks. Companies make what sells and makes them a nice profit. Marvel, DC and Star Wars are easy $$$ for HT right now and with all the new movies on the horizon they will only be making more from these licenses. I would love to see some variety in what they make but to be honest if i was in their shoes i would probably be doing the same thing.

It's been a ridiculous situation for some time now. It all started with the hot toys iron men figures. We got the mark 1,2 and 3 then we were somewhat happy but then they just started releasing every iteration of iron man and it just turned into a big collectors nightmare to be honest. Its the same with the avengers figures and now the star wars figures also. I wish ht would go back to the licenses that once made them so popular i.e predator, aliens and terminator and finish those lines or revisit the marines and ripley figures. We got some good things from hot toys in the last 2 years in the form of the delorean, john matrix, marty mcfly and the robocop battle damaged set but these are like flashes in the pan with hot toys in terms of releases and much more needs to be done to placate collectors like myself who aren't into star wars or marvel. It seems they have forgotten about those licenses and are now concentrating entirely on marvel, star wars and dc comics.

"Hey guys, they added a few more redundant line segments to Captain Americas suit, I gotta add that doll on the shelf with the 6 others that have less lines."

I could really go for one of those pics of a table with unpainted in progress sculpts just to give us an idea of what is coming out. HT used to be fun, now they're predictable as ****.

I could really go for one of those pics of a table with unpainted in progress sculpts just to give us an idea of what is coming out. HT used to be fun, now they're predictable as ****.

I think I'd rather they just came out and said ''look, sorry, we just don't really care to make anything non-Disney/Marvel anymore. If these aren't the figures you're looking for, move along, move along''....and so I would. It's the pretence and the ''stay tuned'' ***t that annoys the **** out of me.

Last edited:
Good thing I only collect Marvel and Star Wars, er, I guess that's a bad thing. So many choices, not enough monies:gah:

At least we are getting some really interesting thing from other manufacturers. Hot Toys should really be careful......eventually this madness surrounding Marvel and Star Wars will run its course,,,,,

At least we are getting some really interesting thing from other manufacturers. Hot Toys should really be careful......eventually this madness surrounding Marvel and Star Wars will run its course,,,,,

I wouldn't say the Star Wars lines is 'madness'. There haven't been multiple versions/2.0s of the same figure for example.

New people are always joining the hobby. They have to keep dishing out the main characters. It is sad what the MCU has done to the company but I'd do the same thing if I was in the business of making money.

I do get how people want other licenses but I mean,the Marvel and DC figures do sell no matter what. They're a business and it's giving them a bunch of money so why not? Good thing I do only collect Marvel and Star Wars. But if there was a property that HT has announced the license to and haven't revealed **** for months or years that I'm excited for, I'd be pissed too. I know this is still Marvel but I'm still mad they cancelled FC Charles.

The thing is most businesses like Hot Toys probably aspire towards working with big brands like Marvel, Star Wars, and DC. Whether people like it or not it's logical for them to make figures from those lines as they're pretty much guaranteed money makers. Other lines can do well too but the more obscure stuff never seems to do quite as well.

Back