Hot Toys Justice League Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asmus is great. I hope they release more elven figures tho...how can they not do Elrond? I doubt they’ll ever do Gil Galad but toybiz did; so there’s hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah not making an Elrond figure is a shame. Ditto Galdriel!

One thing that has me excited however is Asmus very recently confirming that they will release the LotR Gandalf the Gray with rooted hair and beard, and also an LotR re-release of Gandalf the White, also with rooted hair and beard.

I wonder if they will consider doing the same with Legolas... Although hopefully they will give the option to get just the new rooted hair head sculpt for those three.

(The sculpted hair on the hobbitses is fine by me. It's probably better anyway given their shorter hair.)

I have Gandalf the grey by Asmus and I’m super happy with his sculpted beard. Didn’t know about Gandalf the white tho, hopefully they do an overall head sculpt change in him tho..

They are selling Legolas on the Asmus site for 200 free shipping and I’m thinking about getting him in a week or two...I don’t want that one to pass me by. Rooted hair would be awesome for him!

Btw I like your user name. I’ve read like all of the silmarillion a few times...I’m a huge Tolkien nerd. Lol

Yeah not making an Elrond figure is a shame. Ditto Galdriel!

One thing that has me excited however is Asmus very recently confirming that they will release the LotR Gandalf the Gray with rooted hair and beard, and also an LotR re-release of Gandalf the White, also with rooted hair and beard.

I wonder if they will consider doing the same with Legolas... Although hopefully they will give the option to get just the new rooted hair head sculpt for those three.

(The sculpted hair on the hobbitses is fine by me. It's probably better anyway given their shorter hair.)
They release Gandalf. I've been waiting for Gandalf root beard and hair for ages so bring it on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Will they re-do the headsculpt ? I would be all over a Hot Toys Gandalf.

Yes, it looks like they are redoing the head sculpt:

asmus rooted hair and beard gandlaf the grey.jpg

Attachments

• 5d7c4eb8583c486bd3dd3fba9478ef28.jpg
    5d7c4eb8583c486bd3dd3fba9478ef28.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 117
Sorry for the tangent on Asmus LotR figures. Back to discussion of JL Bats!

At this point it's more interesting seeing Gandalf's figure than it is to read each delay of Batman.

Also LotR is a rabbit hole I don't want to go down in collecting.

At this point it's more interesting seeing Gandalf's figure than it is to read each delay of Batman.

Yes, I fear for my bank account, lol. Especially with the upcoming Amazon LotR Prequel series a la Game of Thrones. That will be the most expensive project for television in history, so at least it should have the highest possible production value if nothing else. Really hoping that Hot Toys gets the license to make figures for that TV series! Asmus has managed to make some good figures but as my wife recently commented to me Hot Toys compared with Asmus is like Hot Wheels versus Tonka. :lol

Thus far I've collected Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Frodo, and Sam. Asmus released Gandalf the Grey already in The Hobbit Line but he's now rare and costs an arm and a leg. When Asmus finally releases the LotR Gandalf the Gray that is obviously must-have. Fairly confident that I can pick up Merry, Pippin, and Boromir on eBay for very reasonable prices down the road. When Asmus reissues Gandalf the White I will probably have to get it. Other figures of interest are Arwen and Saruman.

And they still have not issued Gollum. But the reason is he is very small, practically naked, and skinny. To avoid showing the articulation joints at knees and elbows he'll need seamless rubber skin (think Hot Toys Wonder Woman's arms). But Asmus is saying that is a huge challenge for a figure that is so small and skinny like this one. Gollum might end up having to be a 1/6 statue for my collection.

The Hobbit GtG and LotR Aragorn Slim version are bringing the highest prices on eBay from among all the Asmus Tolkien figures.

I was able to get all but Aragorn at the retail prices, or very close to it. Aragorn Slim version brand new is getting really scarce now... well, actually, even used is pretty scarce as well... and therefore pricey. Fortunately the upcoming Gandalf the Gray will be retail, though. I was preparing to pay a lot for a used GtG from The Hobbit. I just participated in an eBay auction where a used GtG went for $385 (presumably plus shipping). And then just a couple days ago Asmus commented on a thread on the LotR 1/6 action figures Gandalf the Grey subforum here that they will indeed be issuing him in their LotR line. So that was a relief to see.

I have Gandalf the grey by Asmus and I’m super happy with his sculpted beard. Didn’t know about Gandalf the white tho, hopefully they do an overall head sculpt change in him tho..

They are selling Legolas on the Asmus site for 200 free shipping and I’m thinking about getting him in a week or two...I don’t want that one to pass me by. Rooted hair would be awesome for him!

Btw I like your user name. I’ve read like all of the silmarillion a few times...I’m a huge Tolkien nerd. Lol

Thanks. My three most favorite fantasy worlds are Tolkien's Middle-Earth, D&D's the Forgotten Realms (big Baldur's Gate fan back in the day), and DC comics. Honorable mention to Star Trek. Really enjoy Marvel but I don't have the same deep affinity for it as the three I mentioned. I do enjoy the MCU and X-verse but the interest is more casual for me. Ditto the Spiderverse. Much more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars, although I do follow the latter. I adored ANH when it first came out, but over the decades the SW universe has not held up very well for my taste. Not even talking the prequels or reboot, I mean even the original trilogy!

Thanks. My three most favorite fantasy worlds are Tolkien's Middle-Earth, D&D's the Forgotten Realms (big Baldur's Gate fan back in the day), and DC comics. Honorable mention to Star Trek. Really enjoy Marvel but I don't have the same deep affinity for it as the three I mentioned. I do enjoy the MCU and X-verse but the interest is more casual for me. Ditto the Spiderverse. Much more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars, although I do follow the latter. I adored ANH when it first came out, but over the decades the SW universe has not held up very well for my taste. Not even talking the prequels or reboot, I mean even the original trilogy!

I played A LOT of Baldur's Gate way back when. :lol

I love Tolkien, Star Trek, Star Wars and barring Spider-Man was a DC fan before Marvel.

There are things that remain in the realm of media for me rather than physical collectibles for whatever reason -- Star Trek, D&D, Tolkien ... and things that I've outgrown to varying degrees, certain DC characters, even Star Wars(!) but they remain a more nostalgic attachment one way or the other.

I change over time, so it follows that these things change as I do.

I tend to focus on heroes but my favourite LOTR design is the Ringwraith. Nine of those beasts on the shelf ... is a rabbit hole I refused to go down. :lol

I played A LOT of Baldur's Gate way back when. :lol

I love Tolkien, Star Trek, Star Wars and barring Spider-Man was a DC fan before Marvel.

There are things that remain in the realm of media for me rather than physical collectibles for whatever reason -- Star Trek, D&D, Tolkien ... and things that I've outgrown to varying degrees, certain DC characters, even Star Wars(!) but they remain a more nostalgic attachment one way or the other.

I change over time, so it follows that these things change as I do.

Yeah, my interest and sense of connection to some of those universes has definitely evolved over time as well. I can't really enjoy Star Trek TOS anymore. Loved it as a teenager. But now I actually prefer the reboot cast and more serious approach. The campiness of the original TV series hasn't aged well for me.

I would lose my sh&t if Hot Toys ever released the Baldur's Gate NPCs. It'll never happen. But can you imagine HT versions of Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira, Edwin, Xzar, Kivan, Tiax, et al.?

After following this Batman figure for well over a year and watching this forum for all the pertinent information regarding its timely release by Hot Toys.

And, after considering all the recent quality control and customer satisfaction issues, I have made a very well informed and thoroughly thought out plan...

I intend to purchase, without reservation my very FIRST figure from this company.

THE NEW GANDOLF FIGURE FROM ASMUS

..... Anybody know how long this is gonna take?

I tend to focus on heroes but my favourite LOTR design is the Ringwraith. Nine of those beasts on the shelf ... is a rabbit hole I refused to go down. :lol

Oh Jesus, yeah I can imagine. Me and my brother collected the old Lord of the Rings figures and Jesus, ended up with so many that are now boxed up in storage back at my Mum's house - Nazgul, Wringwraith, Mouth of Sauron, Sauron, Gandalf the White and Grey, Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas, Lurtz, Merry, Pippin, Frodo, Sam, Gollum, Boromir, Theoden, Eomir, Eowyn, Treebeard, Elves, Galadriel... so many.

As much as I like the Asmus, I don't think they're up to the quality of Hot Toys and that's the reason I haven't started. I thought I could keep away from Star Wars, because that was worse growing up, had so many figures... and then they only went and released Sith Anakin...

Oh Jesus, yeah I can imagine. Me and my brother collected the old Lord of the Rings figures and Jesus, ended up with so many that are now boxed up in storage back at my Mum's house - Nazgul, Wringwraith, Mouth of Sauron, Sauron, Gandalf the White and Grey, Gimli, Aragorn, Legolas, Lurtz, Merry, Pippin, Frodo, Sam, Gollum, Boromir, Theoden, Eomir, Eowyn, Treebeard, Elves, Galadriel... so many.

As much as I like the Asmus, I don't think they're up to the quality of Hot Toys and that's the reason I haven't started. I thought I could keep away from Star Wars, because that was worse growing up, had so many figures... and then they only went and released Sith Anakin...

I only started collecting about two years ago, and while I love Tolkien's Middle-Earth I shied way from Asmus because the company's own photos of their prototypes looked second rate. But recently having picked up Aragorn (Slim version), Legolas (Deluxe), Gimli, Frodo (Slim), and Sam (Slim) I temporarily have them on a shelf with Hot Toys BvS Batman and JL Wonder Woman... and to my eye the Asmus figures have every bit as much physical likeness, shelf presence, and attention to fine detail as the Hot Toys figures. Yes, overall HT is superior, I will not argue otherwise. But the figures I mentioned do indeed look like they are right out of the movie. And their costuming and gear is topflight.

When I get the time I want to take some serious photographs of the Asmus Tolkien figures that do justice to them in hand. Do not judge from the promotional pictures for the figure from the Asmus website! To make an analogy, remember at HT website's photos for BvS Batman with his baggy suit? I would never considered purchasing that figure based on those photos. But in hand it is actually my favorite 1/6 figure.

That said, there are some craftsmanship issues with the Asmus LotR/Hobbit line like exposed joints with certain poses, such as hobbits' wrists, neck joint for GtW from the side, etc., but those won't be visible with proper posing and display angle.

Anyway, I'm an avid HT collector and do regard HT as superior. But I have also have been pleasantly surprised... delighted, actually... by the actual quality of the Asmus Middle-Earth figures in hand. If HT is a gold standard of 100% I would say the Asmus figures I have are like 97%. The difference is negligible. And I would add that Legolas with his sculpted hair (and btw, the figure is utterly amazing when modded to have rooted hair, if one has the skill to do so), which many collectors complain about (but otherwise love the figure) standing alongside HT JL WW, arguably has more shelf presence and resemblance than Diana does! His facial likeness is spot on, whereas in all honesty WW's is kind of iffy.

A footnote to the comparison: while I love the Asmus Tolkien figures every bit as much as my HT DCEU collection, right now it's hard for me to imagine loving an individual figure more than the HT BvS Batman. That figure is to me is basically 1/6 scale perfection. I've got JL Tactical Suit Batman arriving tomorrow. But it's going to take some serious mojo for any figure to replace BvS Bats as my favorite!

Back