Hot Toys - Iron Man 2:Mark IV Limited Edition spec

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now if making the neck thinner and shorter significantly decreases neck articulation I am not for that. Neck movement for me is the single most important point of articulation.
Well the Mark III Battle-Damage has the same kind of neck as the Mark IV, and that figure can't look up at all. So sad to say I don' think the pencil-neck giraffe look is doing him any favors in articulation.

edit: man looking at that above picture I have no idea what the hell is going on there. The legs are obviously comped in and totally the wrong legs but also the arm is super weird. the wrist is totally wrong (the corrugated section shouldn't extend the whole way), the bicep is too round and almost looks like the mkIII bicep and the shoulder is the right shoulder but too small and sort of... flat. Oh and the elbow pad is totally missing.
I'm pretty sure that's not a frame from the film but rather a digital photo taken on set. Which means some poor shmoe would be left to fake the remainder of the suit in photoshop, which is why it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Having the neck be thinner will allow more head movement in theory if the neck works differently on the mkIV. If the neck is thinner there's more space around it which should in theory make for greater range of movement.

The mkIII actually has pretty good neck articulation at the jaw line, it just has all but zero articulation at the shoulder. If the neck was thicker it would have much less range of movement. I'm hoping the mkIV has a better range of movement where the neck connects to the body.

I agree that the neck could be more accurate, but I don't think HT could feasibly do it without eliminating articulation.

Going back to the Mark III -- going by the film, Iron Man's neck moves fairly implausibly on the CG rendition. There are no shifting plates, and I assume that area of the armor is also comprised of the gold titanium (or whatever) that the rest of the suit is made of. The neck kind of stretches as it turns, which is pretty unrealistic.

Also, in the few scenes in which RDJ is actually in the real prop suit, you can see this:

The back of the neck looks like it sits against the rear of the helmet (TDK Batman style)
Imscreencapneck.png

I think they improved how the neck looks in IM2 for the prop suit worn by RDJ, if the photo on the previous page is something to go by. That said, HT has a tough job choosing how they go about doing the neck. I think they did okay.

Lets be honest about head articulation here. With a thicker neck the head can twist 90 degrees left and right. The head can also tilt about 45 degrees up and prob even less down (say 20 degrees). This amount of head movement is realistic...when wearing the real suit with the helmet this is prob how much you could move around, head wise. So why on earth would you want ur head to be able to rotate 360 degrees and look almost 90 degrees up and more than 20 degrees down when in real life he wouldn't be able to do that. Most people when getting this figure are gonna keep it in some sort of memorable pose so its not gonna require extreme articulation. I say make the neck thicker if it means less movement of the head but enough that it can be turned and posed at realistic angles. It's been slimmed down enough to make it look like a special slimfit version that was used in the movie (which we all know there aint such a suit). The Mark IV suit hasn't been slimmed down in the movie so its not much of a faithful representation, its Mark III with some design differences.

I think i might just have to wait for Mark VI, if they make it and if the proportions are right.

Last edited:
I don't know where you're getting those numbers from but most HT heads can't move anything close to 45º up at the jawline (for those heads that have the articulation at the jaw line). Usually they can maybe tilt 10º or less back.

I don't understand why people keep saying the waist is too thin. It is meant to be thinner, after all it is upgrade version of mk 3. What happen to people who complained about bulky looking TDK dark knight?

When you see the picture it is meant to be thinner than mk 3.

I don't understand why people keep saying the waist is too thin. It is meant to be thinner, after all it is upgrade version of mk 3. What happen to people who complained about bulky looking TDK dark knight?

When you see the picture it is meant to be thinner than mk 3.

That pic is 1. Too small and 2. Has really bad shadows.

Here's a better pic:

3759184169_5c60ac3596_o.jpg

The Mark III and IV suits are the same size in the waist area. And beyond that, the two suits are exactly the same size minus some aesthetic differences (the IV suit has rounded shoulders and the ankles are tapered more.

MARK III
3759981948_a1784e5f6f_o.jpg

MARK IV
3759185365_02364b103e_o.jpg

oh...wow, i just looked at devil's pics, and i realized that the ht mkIV base is a replica of the bases from that show. anyone else realize this, or am i slow?

The chest is slightly bigger on the III and the legs are noticeably narrower through the thigh on the III which now in retrospect looks kinda weird.

oh...wow, i just looked at devil's pics, and i realized that the ht mkIV base is a replica of the bases from that show. anyone else realize this, or am i slow?

You're slow. :lol:lol:lol

Apparently HT planned on releasing a dio utilizing that stand (I guess to mimic that display with all the suits) but at the last minute they opted against it for cost reasons. So they added it to this figure (which comes with a normal black stand as well) but they did say they MIGHT release that dio in the future. So who knows.

So are we pretty much going to have this too skinny/no it's not discussion until this figure comes out? :google :lol

f__k, i knew it! :banghead
Apparently HT planned on releasing a dio utilizing that stand (I guess to mimic that display with all the suits) but at the last minute they opted against it for cost reasons. So they added it to this figure (which comes with a normal black stand as well) but they did say they MIGHT release that dio in the future. So who knows.
awesome, i'll buy extra mkIV stands on ebay when it's released for the other figures. i has a plan...:)
I think it'll last far beyond that. :D

:lol

seriously hopin that they would release the dio.... it will be an awesome display!!!

Where did you read that if you do nt mind me asking?

I've got to preorder this. Anyone ever use vikingplayground for preorders? Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Back